Dead Bass after Weekend Tourney

esoxansteel

The Shimano live release boat does just that. I can recall,many times when an angler would come in and say ,hey,I need to get a fish to the boat. Guys would let him go by just for the sake of the fish.

Get off the tourney blaming flaming thing. How many of you throw a deep hooked perch back cuz it was a dink thinking,ah it will get eaten.?????????

I,ll bet all you haters,just grit yer teeth when you see a bass boat on the roads. BASS KILLERS..............

PLEASE,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, LMAO

For those that havent fished a bass tourney,or any tourney,please think before you accuse.

Whats that saying????????

Oh ya

Life goes on.

Edited by Misfish

The Shimano live release boat does just that. I can recall,many times when an angler would come in and say ,hey,I need to get a fish to the boat. Guys would let him go by just for the sake of the fish.

Get off the tourney blaming flaming thing. How many of you throw a deep hooked perch back cuz it was a dink thinking,ah it will get eaten.?????????

I,ll bet all you haters,just grit yer teeth when you see a bass boat on the roads. BASS KILLERS..............

PLEASE,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, LMAO

For those that havent fished a bass tourney,or any tourney,please think before you accuse.

Whats that saying????????

Oh ya

Life goes on.

Think Big Picture, if you can.

You're driving a speedboat that at best get what 4mpg? and is likely towed by a truck that gets what? 20mpg?

All of this energy spent so you can blaze across the lake to catch a few bass.

Ridiculous.

You love the outdoors so much you can't help but destroy it at every turn?

Live goes on...right.

Think Big Picture, if you can.

You're driving a speedboat that at best get what 4mpg? and is likely towed by a truck that gets what? 20mpg?

All of this energy spent so you can blaze across the lake to catch a few bass.

Ridiculous.

You love the outdoors so much you can't help but destroy it at every turn?

Live goes on...right.

Can I call P3TA here????????????? LMAO

Thats ,,,,,,,,,,,,

Life goes on. LOL

Edited by Misfish

Can I call P3TA here????????????? LMAO

Thats ,,,,,,,,,,,,

Life goes on. LOL

X2..

.but I guess he is entitled to his opinion

however silly it sounds.... but I see in other threads he seems to like fly-ins, guess that carbon footprint doesn't register with him as much a damn bass fisherman

Edited by Terry

Take your own advice frodo and think big picture, its a hobby that requires gas, no more no less just like many other hobbies use energy resources. The only thing I consider rediculous is your comment.This story reeks of NIMBY dribble plain and simple. EVEN IF some or all of the mortality was related to the event the other 30,000 tri lakes bass will insure the population recovers from the loss of 10,20,30 fish if in fact it was even that many. A few "sport license" fisherman will put alot bigger dent in the number:)

Edited by hirk

X2..

.but I guess he is entitled to his opinion

however silly it sounds.... but I see in other threads he seems to like fly-ins, guess that carbon footprint doesn't register with him as much a damn bass fisherman

People on here are so easily threatened by anyone who challenges any part of their 'outdoor entitlement' ethos.

I have never been on a fly-in trip but they look awesome.

Bass are my species of choice. All day long-Bass. But that doesn't mean i can't fully appreciate or at least recognize that Bass Boats with 150 HP engines and the V8 trucks that tow them are not only overkill, but consume ungodly amounts of fuel for this Hobby.

P3TA?

LOL. You guys are worse than Americans and their guns.

Oh no- somebody tried to tell me the 200 litres of fuel i burned thru today for a limit of 6 bass is not only NOT my God given right, but also NOT good for the environment.

Lets just agree to disagree.

Tight lines.

Frodo, be careful you're not being too much of a hypocrite. People who walk or bicycle, grow their own food and live off the grid would want to know where you get off judging other people. Suggesting that what you do is acceptable but any more is irresponsible is arrogant.

The only FACT I've found here is that the locals who complained lived on the windblown shore. Any dead things would wash up there.

Its not like we're hurting for bass. They are a nuisance as far as I'm concerned.

S.

People on here are so easily threatened by anyone who challenges any part of their 'outdoor entitlement' ethos.

Bass are my species of choice. All day long-Bass. But that doesn't mean i can't fully appreciate or at least recognize that Bass Boats with 150 HP engines and the V8 trucks that tow them are not only overkill, but consume ungodly amounts of fuel for this Hobby.

P3TA?

Oh no- somebody tried to tell me the 200 litres of fuel i burned thru today for a limit of 6 bass is not only NOT my God given right, but also NOT good for the environment.

Tight lines.

lol no

you just sound like a raving lunatic

you clearly have no idea what you are ranting about and you introduce it into a thread that really wasn't related

Who knows for sure?

Tournament anglers have to try extremely hard to make sure fish deaths are at an absolute minimum.

A 57 boat tourney is 114 fisherman. I wonder what the mortality rate is for 114 recreational fisherman over two days?

I agree.

I used to fish in these tournaments in the late 80's when it was GM PRO BASS. Because of this experience, I know first hand how important it is to maintain a particular fish in a livewell and a fishery as a whole.

If i went off the rails it was to point out existentially, how insane, counter-productive bass fishing has become-if only for the energy consumed to participate in it.

Since that time i have done most of my fishing from my canoe and its been great. Sure, fishability isnt as great or the kinds of techniques i would like to use arent possible, but i make do.

IMHO it does sound like those bass were well dead before the tourney.

I'm not a tourney angler, just a guy who likes to fish whenever I can.

Tournaments drive our industry, without them what little tackle industry there would be would still be in the stone ages. We'd all be using Mitchell 300 reels, mono line and yellow fiberglass Eagle Claw rods with carbide guides.

If you don't like tourneys go somewhere else to fish the weekend of an event. I know where they are each weekend and make plans accordingly.

Some of you crusty old dude's need to grow up and learn to accept that it's not always about you.

Steve

Edited by DropShot'r

Tournaments drive our industry, without them what little tackle industry there would be would still be in the stone ages. We'd all be using Mitchell 300 reels, mono line and yellow fiberglass Eagle Claw rods with carbide guides.

If you don't like tourneys go somewhere else to fish the weekend of an event. I know where they are each weekend and make plans accordingly.

Some of you crusty old buggers need to grow up and learn to accept that it's not always about you.

Steve

+1

P3TA?

Tight lines.

if you're burning 200 litres, you're travelling a big distance. i'll put it to you in caveman speak, i can travel in my 5.3L v8 engine truck, 350km and only use about 50-60L of gas, if i was pulling a boat, might be 80-100L, now,my dad has an 86 searay, with a 4.3L V8 merc, 220hp I beleive, 21ft boat, a full tank of gas will last a little over a week, and thats boating every single day.

bass boats are feather weights compared to that, they have 200hp motors, they get to a spot quickly, and then shut down and switch to their ELECTRIC trolling motor. the big motor is used only for travelling from spot to spot, as the saying goes, time is money

And it's the comfort. You can catch a ship of fish in a 12ft with a 6hp but it's not comfortable.

Most 21ft have 250hp these days and 50mph is like sit on your chesterfield. That you only weight 5 bass for a tournament really means nothing.

Some of you crusty old buggers need to grow up and learn to accept that it's not always about you.

Steve

Agreed.

This is the ultimate rebuttal to some in this thread :D On a side note though, Mitchel 300's were and still are, the Cats Meow in reels, Mono is still a go to for many, and I own an Eagle Claw yellow fiberglass rod, in mint condition, handed down to me after years of use by my dad, Bass fishing in a 12 foot tinny he got from his Dad. Tourneys make "OUR" world go round. They are legal, well controlled, and tons of fun to watch on WFN. I would rather share the water wit an experienced Bass angler in a bass boat, than a weekend warrior towing speedo clad idiots in inner tubes or water skis all blinkin weekend.

But that's just me......

This is the ultimate rebuttal to some in this thread :D On a side note though, Mitchel 300's were and still are, the Cats Meow in reels, Mono is still a go to for many, and I own an Eagle Claw yellow fiberglass rod, in mint condition, handed down to me after years of use by my dad, Bass fishing in a 12 foot tinny he got from his Dad. Tourneys make "OUR" world go round. They are legal, well controlled, and tons of fun to watch on WFN. I would rather share the water wit an experienced Bass angler in a bass boat, than a weekend warrior towing speedo clad idiots in inner tubes or water skis all blinkin weekend.

But that's just me......

nice!!.....the old cardinals last forever as well

I do fish tournaments and honestly the amount of gas burned is pretty high if you actually do the math. Typically we will burn a half tank or more of truck gas depending on where the tournament is located. So that's about 50 liters. I would say about 70 liters of boat gas is normal for a tournament day of fishing on a decent sized lake. So if everyone burns 120 liters in a day and there are 100 teams in a field that's 12,000 liters of gas burned.

It is a lot of gas plain and simple. However that gas would still be burned and those fish would still be caught if there were no tournaments. However consider this. If there were no tournaments Bass would go from game fish that are released more often than not to game fish that are eaten.

I do fish tournaments and honestly the amount of gas burned is pretty high if you actually do the math. Typically we will burn a half tank or more of truck gas depending on where the tournament is located. So that's about 50 liters. I would say about 70 liters of boat gas is normal for a tournament day of fishing on a decent sized lake. So if everyone burns 120 liters in a day and there are 100 teams in a field that's 12,000 liters of gas burned.

It is a lot of gas plain and simple. However that gas would still be burned and those fish would still be caught if there were no tournaments. However consider this. If there were no tournaments Bass would go from game fish that are released more often than not to game fish that are eaten.

Well put.

I love fishing tournaments.

According to NASCAR, about 6,000 U.S. gallons (~22,700 litres) of fuel are consumed during a typical Sprint Cup weekend.[21] For the 2006 season, which included 36 points races, the total for the season would have been 216,000 U.S. gallons (818,000 litres). One environmental critic recently estimated NASCAR's total fuel consumption across all series at 2 million U.S. gallons (7.57 million liters) of gas for one season.[22]

But!!! No fish were killed!! I wonder if the dude on Chemong is a nascar fan?

I love fishing tournaments.

According to NASCAR, about 6,000 U.S. gallons (~22,700 litres) of fuel are consumed during a typical Sprint Cup weekend.[21] For the 2006 season, which included 36 points races, the total for the season would have been 216,000 U.S. gallons (818,000 litres). One environmental critic recently estimated NASCAR's total fuel consumption across all series at 2 million U.S. gallons (7.57 million liters) of gas for one season.[22]

But!!! No fish were killed!! I wonder if the dude on Chemong is a nascar fan?

Don't get me started on Nascar!!!!!

Wow this thread is going in all sorts of directions, from pro tournaments, to against tournaments, from the tackle industry, to the gas burned on a trip, and even Nascar, and its still quite credible with no lock down yet. Interesting perspectives non the less.

What was this thread about?