What kind of machette? NF

jedimaster

What Freshtrax said, along with a Stihl or equivalent gas powered weed wacker with the saw blade. I do a fair bit of brush clearing where we work, however I'm not under the "time restraint and money factor". If the boss took away my gas pole saw or weed wacker, I don't clear brush. You can rent the items required along with safety gear, chaps, helmet and goggles. And yes, you must wear underwear with the chaps. The mosquitos and horseflys will bug you otherwise.

Brush mowers are prob the quickest way depending on the size of the brush you're clearing. If you're renting in the first place it is worth looking into. They'll usually handle up to an inch or so, you therefore will prob still need a chainsaw.

I've left several in the bush clearing trails up in Temagami so unless you are very mindful I now just go with the cheap ones from SAIL/CTC and Carry a wet stone with me. I can tell you where 1 is on a trail off Diamond Lake if you ever get up there.

Those World Famous ones work just as good. My Gerber was way too delicate and got beat up quick with several blade knicks and chips

Edited by Fang

Missed the backwoods trail part, I was thinking along the lines of clearing a large area.

How about a small axe/large hatchet for the small trees and branches? I have a gransfors small forest axe and really like it. Although as fang pointed out you would need to be mindful, they're $$

I used to have a cheap $20 flea market special, bolo style, worked well enough, few seconds on the grinding wheel now and then

my buddy has a very nice one, parang style, polished, exotic handle, I like it a lot, that curve helps chopping I think and pulling out if you get stuck...but I would never pay that much for something I'm going to smash around and beat up

My Fiskars bypass pruners always travel with me for minor clearing and shooting lanes etc. Well worth the price. They can easily cut up to 1". Well maybe not ironwood lol.

I don't use machetes so I don't know how they compare but they would be faster and easier to carry for sure.

That and a smaller buck saw is what I carry even if I have the quad with a chain saw.. Many of our trails are made for quads anyway so a chain saw is handy.

Cheers

I carry a chainsaw for the main trails and a small foldable buck saw but when clearing a path a little saw takes forever. I figure a machete of some sort would be faster. Just was hoping some people have tried a few different styles.

Jedi- Official Bear Grylls machete available at the "Bear Grylls Survival Store" :

1_Parang_zps84a117d1.jpg

Also available the BG Survival Pillow- to rest after brush clearing :sarcasm:

bear_grylls_pack-it-pillow_zpsa17f2a1c.j

And the BG survival mug to re-hydrate after brush clearing :sarcasm:

bear-mug-back_zps4a2e7dc5.jpg

No its not SPAM I'm not sponsored by BG.

Bear Grylls is a tool. I won't buy gear with his name on it out of principle.

I have some old machete at the moment, inherited from my father-in-law, but I am interested in one of the new Schrade machetes, as I rather like their SCHF9 knife I picked up recently.

Bought a Les Stroud Jungle machete, the reviews are very mixed. I hope it doesn't fall apart on me. Will see after a weekend of camping if it is still together. If not I am going to return it and order a CS online. I bought a few gerber stuff in the past and have regretted every purchase accept for the multi tool.

I agree with Dana. Bear is a dolt and I won't support him or what he endorses. What really pisses me off is that he is a former SAS dude and knows better than the advice he gives. He is no Ray or Les.

Have you considered a Swedish clearing axe. Less Jedi , more Thor.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/garden/page.aspx?p=10246&cat=2,45794

Also, if you are sold on CS, Lebaron sells some of their stuff. Here is some of what they carry:

http://www.lebaron.ca/pdf_files_sp13/cold_steel_tanto.pdf

Cheers,

Mark