Father's Day. Let's See Some Dad Fishin' Pics.

Moosebunk

Great Father's Day dinner here at our place today. Got drenched this morning catching lakers and brought one home for the BBQ. Cedar planked the fish and smothered it with maple garlic butter scallops and shrimp. Spent the afternoon looking through Dad's old photos which he scanned and put to Photobucket. Wondered how I went so long up north only seeing him a couple times a year, yet since moving home in 09 it's been the best thing having him and mom close by. He never really did teach me to fish at all, but nowadays it certainly is great teaching him a thing or two about it after he's taught so much, much more about life.

Happy Father's Day.

DadGar.jpg

Autumn11-100.jpg

Your a lucky man to still have your dad around Drew.

My dad's been gone 16 years now but he was an avid fisherman & here's a favorite picture of him taken on a fishing trip back in the 50's. That old baitcaster he's using is the same reel I learned to cast with.

Cnv1202.jpg

Yeah, that was a great old cedarstrip with a 25 HP Johnson Seahorse. Back in the day that baby was the fastest boat on the lake :lol:

Notice the twin gearshift handles for the motor, one for speed and the other for F-N-R and the steering wheel on the left side of the boat and originally, it was in the rear seat.

Edited by lew

Think I saw that motor on the Big Rideau this morning. When the guy fired it up at 6:00am in Portland, the people in Smiths Falls felt tremors and the cloud of smoke wiped out an entire flock of passing geese. lol. The guy sure did get 'er up on plane and tour outta there though. lol

Again Lew, it's a one of a kind. Things aren't at all made like they used to be... or some could make them.

Edited by Moosebunk

Great idea for a thread Bunk - I don't have any old pics of my dad in digital form but one pic that sort of stands out for me is this big old boot he caught at the mouth of hte credit river a couple of years ago. It was his first time fishing for great lakes salmon and I had been trying to get him down south for years to try it out. Finally the stars aligned, we only had a few hours in the morning to get out before volunteering for a kids fishing event and sure as crap my dad caught the only fish of the morning. I wouldn't have had it any othe way! ( sorry Dan haha ) He caught it on a livetarget smelt and the fish went crazy!!!

DSCF4626.jpg

Here's a picture of my dad in 1961...

dad.jpg

Once us kids were born, we'd visit a friends cottage where he taught us how to fish...

med_gallery_60_23_9177.jpg

He was an outdoorsman at heart...here he is shortly before being diagnosed with cancer.

gallery_60_23_33354.jpg

During a chemo break, he had enough energy to fish...so me and my brothers hired a guide for some Lake Ontario Lakers. This turned out to be his last fishing outing, as he passed away 6 months later. Hard to believe he's been gone 18 years now.

gallery_60_23_31201.jpg

Thanks for starting this thread! Made me smile to dig out these pictures again!

Edited by ccmt

Great Thread!!! This father's day was bitter sweet for me. Lost my dad last year and thought I was okay until Yesterday. Went to visit him at the cemetery by myself and couldn't keep my emotions contained. I did wake up to my boys wishing me a happy father's day and the best hug a father could get.

Sorry I couldn't find any fishing pics

http://i1244.photobucket.com/albums/gg571/quickme6/IMG_0671_zps53b75fb1.jpg

this is a pic of him and I

http://i1244.photobucket.com/albums/gg571/quickme6/IMG_0673_zpsc3a747f7.jpg

A pic of him and his Grandkids on his birthday

http://i1244.photobucket.com/albums/gg571/quickme6/IPhonepics019_zps1cf09e8f.png

Proud dad with his boys on the ice

http://i1244.photobucket.com/albums/gg571/quickme6/IMG_1206_zpsa3460a9c.jpg

Hope everyone's father's day was a good one filled with memories and unforgettable times!

nick

Like many of us my Dad taught me how to fish and was a few years since we last fished together. Friday I drove up north and fished with my 7 year old son till noon. Got back to the trailer for lunch and Mom & Dad arrived so we went out for a couple hours pike fishing. I gave Dad my magic spoon and he caught a couple small pike. It was good to fish with him again.

Besides the pike, he saw the biggest loon he had ever seen, the head was just massive, wish I took a picture. He also never saw the family of 10 hawks on our lake but they made a special appearance that afternoon. Everything seemed to fall into place. Happy Fathers Day!

Here's a couple of fairly recent pictures of my dad.

Abamasagi two summers ago

AbamasagiLakeJuly2011033.jpg

Dusey River last June with my son in the background

DuseyJun2-92012023.jpg

And here's one of my uncle who passed away unexpectedly this past January. He had the biggest impact on my life when it comes to fishing and he's missed every single day.

DuseyJun2-92012024.jpg

Thanks for the thread my Dad died in 1993 and we had some great times together fishing.

82b5b19c-0407-445e-8aa8-b4df58e01ddb_zpsMy Father around 1980. Bronte Creek was my favourite spots to fish with him. Some of you Bronte regulars may recognize the pool. We had some good talks on the drive home.

b82bd87b-4edf-4115-8219-666b90eef159_zps

My Dad and his buddies- Elliot Lake I think mid 80's. He went fishing every year or 2 for about 40 yrs with these guys. I'm surprised the plane could take off with all the booze on board.

2b0bef2a-6261-4262-8061-d5b7fec108be_zpsMy son Reilly and I Saturday on Tremont Island in the 1000 islands. My buddies family has been have an opening day tournament since 1969. He won it this year- report to follow.

My oldman with a big snake on the other end of the line. There isn't anyone else I'd rather have as a fishing partner. I drag him out everywhere, lol!

6942360821_6dfc6a8f8e_b.jpg
5890892370_920078558b_b.jpg
gp3 by billmarz, on Flickr
Edited by BillM