Lowrance, Humminbird or Garmin?

big guy

I'm in the market for a new graph and want to buy a combo fishfinder/chartplotter. I've been doing some research and am leaning toward Lowrance, I currently have a Humminbird 717, so realize that the holes I have already drilled would match if I bought another "bird". However, I also like the Garmins, but have less knowledge of their mapping software, mainly is their detail the same, better or worse than the mapping software the other two offer.

I know I am going to get a lot of comments saying buy this one or the other, what I am mainly interested in is people's experience with the mapping software for each brand.

- how much coverage do they have?

- what is the detail like? 1 foot contours, 5 foot, 10 foot, or does it vary and if so, what % is 1 foot?

- and generally how have the graphs you use stood up to the elements, ease of installation etc?

The one thing I don't like about my 717 is the flimsiness of the base, rotation piece. It has been broken for some time now and I always found it extremely difficult to disconnect the head from the base so I could store it away, probably why it broke.

Also, will the units accept Topo map software either internally, or through an SD card?

Any info would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Edited by big guy

well all three make excellent units its all up to what you have for a budget, ?? but all three also make units that are not high end either so its really a preference,and what your needs are but just a word of advice go whith the best one you can afford,cause you will only want to get an even better one....they have changed lots in the last few years with sidescan downimaging...you name it they have it.....whats your price range??

I'm a lowrance guy, but only because that's what I've always used, so I'm familiar with them.

I think for a mid range gps/graph combo, the elite 5 DSI is tough to beat. It does everything I want it to do.

It really depends. What you want to spend, and what you need it to do.

As for detail, that will all be decided by the map chip you put in it. The chip you choose will depend on where you fish most.

S.

well all three make excellent units its all up to what you have for a budget, ?? but all three also make units that are not high end either so its really a preference,and what your needs are but just a word of advice go whith the best one you can afford,cause you will only want to get an even better one....they have changed lots in the last few years with sidescan downimaging...you name it they have it.....whats your price range??

Top end would be $500-$600, but that would be stretching it.

I kind of like the Lowrance 4X model, but have yet to see one in operation at a store to see if the screen, while split between finder and plotter are going to be big to read easily, without wearing my damn reading glasses. It is quite a bit cheaper as well. I'm not really looking to getting into all the bells and whistles of imaging etc.

Edited by big guy

as FD said, it IS really a matter of preference. I have owned Lowrance and Humminbird, and now prefer Humminbird, but ONLY for thier after sales service which in my area is impeccable. Not really sure about Garmin, other than the GPS they make for cars.

I am really happy with my Humminbird 597 hd, but as you said - it tough to read with split screen - gps/finder mode. Had Lowrance 4 as ice fishing unit - it's pretty good too, but it's really hard to beat a big screen and good resolution.

If you are considering an x4, go to west marine and take a look at the elite 5 dsi gold. I have the unit (less the gold part which I bought my own maps later) and love it. It took some getting used to to find fish but once you get the hang of it, it is great. It is great for reading structure right of the box. Mine does cut out around 30mph though so if you are going faster than that, try

Something different if you care.

The reason I suggest this model by the way is that at west marine they had a Promo for the elite 5 dsi gold for $399.99. That is almost $300 off from when I bought mine. The elite 7 is driving the price down and for what that unit is going for, I am tempted to sell mine and upgrade.

Adam

I just bought the 597 combo because they threw in the Navionics card at Proctor Marine in Simcoe, I had a Garmin and the Garmin software was very good. For your budget and the research I did the 597 hdci was my choice after much looking. I was going to go with the Elite 7 before this Hummingbird came on sale.

Heading down to TO tomorrow, Bass Pro, then Radioworld as they have some units on sale, then LeBaron if necessary as I have a members card and can save 15%.

Lebaron is 10%

I'm a Humminbird guy, Radio World has one of the best customer service in the industry.

Some interesting discounts and rebates right now.

http://radioworld.ca/advanced_search_result.php?search_in_description=1&keywords=humminbird&x=-1230&y=-68

I hit Radio World today and picked up the Lowrance Elite-5 Gold. On sale for $380, $429 with the Gold chip, figure I saved close to $400 if the two were bought separately at regular price... so I am happy.

Thanks to all who replied.

Congrats,

IMO, you just picked up one of the most user friendly units to navigate throught the screens. It you bought the gold, you will need to go into the system to turn on the chart you need (same as plugging any chip in any finder other than that gold card has three different maps on it)

Also, if you want to get any useful information on how to use the unit, go on the lowrance site and download the user manual. The brochure that comes with it is pretty much only good to start a fire.

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats,

IMO, you just picked up one of the most user friendly units to navigate throught the screens. It you bought the gold, you will need to go into the system to turn on the chart you need (same as plugging any chip in any finder other than that gold card has three different maps on it)

Also, if you want to get any useful information on how to use the unit, go on the lowrance site and download the user manual. The brochure that comes with it is pretty much only good to start a fire.

Same goes for the Navionics chart. Here is the link to update it. http://navionics.com/en/freshest-data-0. make sure you do it within 60 days of purchase.