The Gator Thread

jedimaster

I love catching pike. They taste pretty good too. :P I caught a couple more yesterday (pair of well fed little 24-25" fish). I'm hoping I can catch a 40" pike this year. Very underrated.

I will always eat pike over other types of fish because they taste great and hardly anybody else eats them as opposed to walleye or trout

CIMG1996_zps8769a3f6.jpgMy personal best, 35" on my homemade spinnerbait. They give some really nice fillets once the y bones are out and are a lot of fun to catch. Such angry, aggressive fish that are hard to spook and love hitting next to the boat, what more could you ask for?

I have an affinity for big pike. Big Pike are totally different than small pike, it's like fishing for totally different species. In the lakes I fish big pike are not easy to find and catch, especially once the water hits over 65 degrees. It's especially a challenge finding them in the summer, sometimes not even worth the effort but is possible. I've had success trolling big baits 25 ft+ down and landed some nice ones, but you will never go out and land 5 in an evening. They are spread out, roaming, hard to locate. Most of my pike fishing is done after spring opener until musky opens then very late fall and winter. The challenge in catching big pike and avoiding the small pike in the southern ontario waters I fish holds a certain allure for me and what I like about the species.

Here's one of two 38"s from this weekend. Could not break the 40" goal. The water temp was prime around 54 on Saturday we ended up with 62ish when I left on Monday. Next weekend should be good fishing again.

photo-2_zps126ab9c5.jpg

I don't mind catching pike at all but I usually never fish for them they are almost always caught while I am trolling for walleyes !!!! Like the one in my pic and it's fun as I'm only using walleye rods and reels thankfully I use 20lb braid most of the time but I do have some some big ones snap me off as they bite through floro leader pretty easily !!! Some nice pike pictures everyone is showing as well !!!!!!! Cheers