Bear Defence

Since we are on the topic of bears and I'm heading to the Yukon in June for a month I will be carrying my 1895 45-70 Marlin GS for Bear defence. Last September I visited for two weeks and where ever we went my cousin carried a Remington 870 Marine Shotgun. He also lost a good friend to a Grizzly attack a few years ago while working in the remote widerness of the Yukon. I have carried bear spray and I know this can be very affective in the right situation but I would rather have the firearm, atleast its a fair fight now.. Does anybody else carry a firearm in remote areas? and if so what type of firearm?

newsss.jpg

september is a dangerous month for bear attacks, desperate bears that need to feed are the most dangerous

I carry a 300 short everywhere I go in my truck/boat/ice fishing/camping, etc, etc...but it's my "pretty gun" lol....I'm looking for a dedicated bush gun, beater gun...will either a lever action 45-70 or a high capacity 12 guage...they seem to be the more popular choices

my hunt club has a couple of really good books on bear behaviour and attacks, research, etc...I just can't think of the 2 authors right now...I've slowly been reading/re-reading them, I'll try to remember to post the names once i remember

are you working in the yukon? if you bring a gun, keep it in your truck, booze and guns are the fastest way to get kicked out of camps lol

september is a dangerous month for bear attacks, desperate bears that need to feed are the most dangerous

I carry a 300 short everywhere I go in my truck/boat/ice fishing/camping, etc, etc...but it's my "pretty gun" lol....I'm looking for a dedicated bush gun, beater gun...will either a lever action 45-70 or a high capacity 12 guage...they seem to be the more popular choices

my hunt club has a couple of really good books on bear behaviour and attacks, research, etc...I just can't think of the 2 authors right now...I've slowly been reading/re-reading them, I'll try to remember to post the names once i remember

are you working in the yukon? if you bring a gun, keep it in your truck, booze and guns are the fastest way to get kicked out of camps lol

Vacationing for a month. My cousin lives in a semi remote area off the Klondike hwy, no electricty or running water.. Also heading to Skagway Alaska for king salmon and Atlin lake for pike..

Edited by trophypikehunter

The Yukon is magical, you're lucky to have a month up there. post a report when you're back, I would love to read it

realistically, there's millions if not billions of man-hours spent in the bush per bear attack, brown bears do make me more nervous, black bears I'm used to and sleep soundly in my tent without a worry

I'd say a short barrel shotgun would be the best, it's amazing how easy it is to miss a target when it's moving and you're panicking

I've got 3 1/2", 00 buckshot, for my 887, thats 15 big pellets in there, I never bother lugging it around here in ON though

Edited by chris.brock

winchester 30 30 ...great bush rifle ....cheap and can take a beating

I bow hunt for bears. My tracking gun is an 870 SPS Marine Mag with a clip on light. Modified to be legal for hunting in Ontario.

Intimidating home defense gun, if you are in to that sort of thing.

I carry my Remington 870 SPS Camo loaded with slugs when I'm running around the bush here in the NWT.

If you're going to Skagway you will need to leave your gun at your cousin's place or you will have to go through the proper channels to bring it into AK.

My buddy is a hunting guide in the Yukon and one spring when he was hiking in the mountains, he and his friend were charged by a very angry grizzly. He dropped it at his feet. :o

He carries a .458 and that thing puts 'em down. I wouldn't trust a 30-30 in grizzly country.

They are fine in black bear country though.

Because of work I spend a lot of time in grizzly and polar bear country and also do a full day live fire exercise each year which does an excellent job of simulating a stressfull situation.

For me a lot of factors point to a short barreled pump shotgun with slugs as the best bear defense weapon. I have a few of marine guns that take a beating, you need them to reliably cycle even when dirty. A short barrel and composite stock are light enough to carry easily especially with a good sling.

A rifle can be great in the hands of a experienced shooter but a shotgun is more of a point and shoot and less aiming...seems to allow a broad range of people to be more accurate and instinctive with them, which is a consideration in some of our larger camps.

Forget about the tree hugger bear bangers as the first round, a bear defence weapon should have no plug, safety off and chamber empty, shooting a banger at a bear close enough to think about shooting is counterproductive.

Not sure where a similar course could be had but the one we take in MB is really good to get used to loading quickly and handling the gun and shooting under duress.

Does buckshot or SSGs have enough "umpf" for a bear? I wouldn't think so personally as I have seen the result with deer.

Sure... If your close enough.

I would not take a 40 yard shot at a bear with buckshot and expect it to drop dead...