Some New Work

DRIFTER_016

Been doing a little lathe work lately (between periods ;) ).

These are for a couple of float rods I'm building up.

The top one is Amboina Burl and will go on an 11 foot 6-10# XST and the bottom one is walnut that will go on a 13 foot 4-8# Lamiglas. :D

Handles_zps1bb34123.jpg

nice looking grips. That's nice looking cork, is it filled at all?

Did you guys know cabelas is having a pretty big sale on their rod parts at the moment? Just about everything has a good discount including Fuji titanium framed SIC's...still pricey but certainly less than i've seen them anywhere else. recoils, all kinds of pacbay, alps, etc. The black/gunsmoke Fuji SIC sets are priced $20 less than places like mudhole, some sizes are gone already. ..a few good fly seats with nice nickel silver skeletons. lots to look at, i don't know how long the sale will run for.

I had to get an order in before i mentioned it. haha. I can't wait to get the box of shiny little bobbles.

Actually I went to the site, and it's only the 12mm and 20mm sizes of TLVSG's that are on sale.

Good for those that could buy 10 or more of each, and save some money for builds in the future.(like Spiel ;))

I was hoping to buy a complete set or two to save for future builds.

Oh well!

Thanks for posting though!

Looking nice. Definitely a hobby I'd love to get in to. If you don't mind me asking, what were the approximate material costs for those butts?

Don't really know the material costs as I've had most of the materials a while.

The reel seat hardware is about $17, the wood I've had in stock for a while. I got a good deal on some stuff off ebay and bought a bunch. Cork cost is probably in the $30-$40 range.

The only other materials to factor in are Rod Bond for gluing up the rings and seat and the thick CA for the finish on the wood.

FYI

I have about $200 in materials in this handle. :o

Sage3.jpg

Sage9.jpg

Edited by DRIFTER_016

Actually I went to the site, and it's only the 12mm and 20mm sizes of TLVSG's that are on sale.

Good for those that could buy 10 or more of each, and save some money for builds in the future.(like Spiel ;))

I was hoping to buy a complete set or two to save for future builds.

Oh well!

Thanks for posting though!

Actually, a 20 and 12 would be the first 2 sizes on a lot of river sticks. :). I guess all the other sizes are gone. Most sizes are still available for the tysg and tlnsg and tsvsg all are titanium alloy framed with sic ring. The TYSG are titanium frames although the website doesn't say so. They also had the PacBay sic's mislabeled for the longest time, it helps to understand the model names. For example, they call a lot of PacBay's hialloy ring guides "sic" when the model number tells me they are not, and vice versa. I've actually bought stuff to see what i would get...the model name on your order form is always right, the description and wording is wrong.

Their "made in the USA" PT+ blanks are also very good at 1/2 price. I'm almost positive they are made by StCroix ..2 reasons.

A Z-Axis blank or maybe a reworked GLX? either way...nice rod.

Your wood is probably epoxy stabilized so it looks good stays hard forever, right? :)

I know what you mean about costs, it's getting expensive to build with nice parts from tip to butt. At one time, All you had to worry about was finding someone who stocked a good quality blank and guides, everything else fell into place. The price:quality of cork has risen so much the last few years. Ever since that portugese cork shortage story hit the news, you need to spend just as much time sourcing the corks as you do searching for the next blank.

Don't really know the material costs as I've had most of the materials a while.

The reel seat hardware is about $17, the wood I've had in stock for a while. I got a good deal on some stuff off ebay and bought a bunch. Cork cost is probably in the $30-$40 range.

The only other materials to factor in are Rod Bond for gluing up the rings and seat and the thick CA for the finish on the wood.

FYI

I have about $200 in materials in this handle. :o

That's really n

A Z-Axis blank or maybe a reworked GLX? either way...nice rod.

Your wood is probably epoxy stabilized so it looks good stays hard forever, right? :)

I know what you mean about costs, it's getting expensive to build with nice parts from tip to butt. At one time, All you had to worry about was finding someone who stocked a good quality blank and guides, everything else fell into place. The price:quality of cork has risen so much the last few years. Ever since that portugese cork shortage story hit the news, you need to spend just as much time sourcing the corks as you do searching for the next blank.

Yep, Z-AXIS 7136-4 blank with Strubel nickel silver reel seat hardware and the wood is stabilized doubled dyed spalted big leaf maple burl. Guides are TYSG Fugi's.