Tore down the deck

jedimaster

Well that last big snowfall brought down part of my parents deck so I had to go up to there place and help clean up. Now I am not too sure how you are supposed to do it, but this worked out pretty good. A little notch on the posts, and sledge hammer. Now I certainly wouldn't recommend doing it like this but it sure came down. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hvHS1IjDB4

Put up some stairs by door after, new deck is going to be put up when the ground dries a bit. A come along would have been good if I had one. Sometimes you just gotta make do with what you got. Was pretty amazed at how rotted the cedar got after 15 years.

Why what's wrong with knocking the deck out the same way the rest of it fell? The lag bolts were pulled prior. So no worries about the bricks being ripped out... even though they didn't rip the bricks out when the snow knocked the rest of it out.sure it would have been nice to have some more pulling power but it needed to come down and was far less safe to let it sit like that up. I guess it would been nice if it was possible to get say a skid steer or something but given the location its not possible to get in the back yard.

Yah, honestly it looks a lot closer than what it was. Just standing I was about 4 feet away from it. I think I should have just lobbed a big cinder block at the leg instead. I was a bit surprised at how fast it came down though. I hope if anyone takes anything from this, they should go check out there deck this spring before the summer season starts. don't take any chances. The top can look good but underneath can be rotted to sponge. Half of it as mentioned came down under the load of snow. Fortunately no one was hurt when it came down.

Obviously I told tem to use different contractors than from the first time. I never hear of using 4x4's on such a big tall deck. Anyway. I told them to just build a smaller one with 8x8's. :) I guess I have a few weekends of cleaning up now for me unfortunately.

LOL @ some of these safety nazi replies. it's a deck the man was taking down, not the whole friggin house. considering the height and how rotted the deck was i'd say that bringing it to the ground to rip it apart was far safer and faster than dismantling it piece by piece as it stood. rigging up a fall arrest system to dismantle it or having a crane come in to lower the deck to the ground would be safer, neither method is practical for this.

i guess i was the only one that was excited to see that your plan worked out? :dunno:

did you remove the lags from the ledger before doing this or did the contractor skip that part?

Thanks CH, I wasn't too surprised that some folks here were offended by a guy doing some demo with a sledge.

Pulled the lag bolts out first, all that were left holding it to the wall were concrete nails. I guess a giant crane might have been able to lift it up, but wow what a price tag. Stripping it apart would have been far more dangerous imo as going on it with only two 4x4's hold it up that were in questionable condition was not something I wanted any part of.