Extra flavour for those yummy Hamilton Harbour Perch

Steve

from the spec:

McKinnon said the city has electricians working on the problem now. “We’ve only had a half-a-dozen calls so far; hopefully, we’ll have the problem resolved soon,” he said. The steady rain over the last few days has also forced the city to “bypass’ untreated sewage into Red Hill Creek from the overwhelmed treatment plant, he said.

I'm quite sure the local shops will still be saying eating the fish from the harbour is a-ok.... smiley11.gif

from the spec:

McKinnon said the city has electricians working on the problem now. “We’ve only had a half-a-dozen calls so far; hopefully, we’ll have the problem resolved soon,” he said. The steady rain over the last few days has also forced the city to “bypass’ untreated sewage into Red Hill Creek from the overwhelmed treatment plant, he said.

I'm quite sure the local shops will still be saying eating the fish from the harbour is a-ok.... smiley11.gif

No way,this type of stuff is still going on "controlled",not by accident. I can't believe it!

The one thing I can't believe is this old fella who fishes the bay a lot, and I mean for the last 30 years, has been eating catfish from the harbor all this time. Pretty crazy but amazingly he's still around. Even knowing this I still wouldn't eat anything outta there.

Edited by Hooked

I would be surprised if our local shops are actively telling customers to eat the perch. Even if the MNR or the city says its all good, the shops know the harbour history and would look rather naive stating otherwise. Like most lakes in the regulations, people should eat fish in moderation. I don't think eating a few perch once a year will harm you but taking your limit to freeze and eat all year isn't the healthiest decision.

But then again the catfish guy is still around......who really knows the truth?

and I can't believe the amount of folks who continue to eat (and advocate the eating) of perch from the harbour.

we get 3 - 6 overflows where pure raw sewage is dumped into the harbour yearly. (source: RBG Rap Report)

Sorry its still happening,, glad we moved from southern Ontario, we have lots of ice on our lakes but not much crap :tease::tease:

The sewage overflows are not contaminating the fish........ what is in there to do that? High BOD? E coli? That will not make fish unsafe to eat.

Industry discharge is what makes fish contaminated.... metals, PAH, PCB, etc.....

Burt :)

The sewage overflows are not contaminating the fish........ what is in there to do that? High BOD? E coli? That will not make fish unsafe to eat.

Industry discharge is what makes fish contaminated.... metals, PAH, PCB, etc.....

my thoughts exactly...

Not just the Great Lakes. A lot of your wild B.C. salmon swim through the same sewage, as do lot of commercial fish on the East Coast

Absolutely. It happens all over the world. At least we give an honest go of trying to treat it. You will notice the larger trunk sewers in larger urban areas are placed in valleys, usually in the vicinity of creeks and rivers so if there is ever an issue with collapse or overflow it will follow the path of least resistance right to the lake, and be out of the sight of most. S#!T Happens ???

Edited by moxie

Moxie is correct...right into the lake. Hence no swimming 2-3 days after rain event due to high levels of ecoli and death. It's pretty sad, but it's gotta drain somewhere? Where do u guys think sewage treatment plant holding tanks go wen it rains? You think they just process it quicker? No she reaches a limit and she has to exit somewhere....it's been going on for decades , this isn't new

Anybody who looks at Hamilton harbour and licks their lips and says "lets go catch me some dinner" is truly sick ....that being said, I've done that at Detroit river mmm mmm can't get enough of them tasty walleye

The red hill runs into lake Ontario at the end of Burlington St. Where the city gets there drinking water.

Once it flows into Hamilton Harbour there is dilution and also much more dilution again of the discharge of the harbour into Lake Ontario. The intake pipe for Hamilton is about 5 Km off shore.

Lake Ontario, Hamilton Harbour.... Lake Erie, Grand river... All Poop does flow down hill..

Which is why I will not eat fish from them... especially the Grand river, added to the poop and pee from countless towns and municipalities is farm run off, pesticides, herbicides the list goes on and on... it is an open sewer.

I am for one glad I have moved out of the Hamilton/Grand river region and into a region with natural aquafiers

G

Poop and Pee are the least of our worries( Chlorine fix: use your backyard or community pool as examples). The heavy metals and other chemical pollutants on the other hand.......

Edited by moxie

I fish a sewage treatment outflow here in simcoe all the time lol. Some days it smells like sewage, still comes out clear. Other days it smells heavily of chlorine. The water's warm coming out so the fishin's good. Lol

I fish a sewage treatment outflow here in simcoe all the time lol. Some days it smells like sewage, still comes out clear. Other days it smells heavily of chlorine. The water's warm coming out so the fishin's good. Lol

Gives Crappie a whole NEW meaning doesn't it? LOL