WE ARE BURNING UP!!!!!!!!!!!!! FIRES!!!!!!!!!

tjsa

Dang Tom.... that sucks! seems a little early for fires I certainly hope this is not a sign of things to come this summer. Make sure you and your family stay safe.

Here to hoping for the best!

Gerritt.

Gerritt, we had 5 fires in FEBRUARY?????????? Most went out by themselves, but one had to be dealt with. It was mostly from anglers starting shore fires ice fishing, on hillsides that were south facing, no snow to speak of, not properly put out. I was fishing a lake in january, and the south facing hillsides were barren of snow, posted pics of it back then.

We have a very low water table right now, and low water on the lakes, and little precipitation recently.

I fear if we do not get any significant, or even moderate, rainfall, its gonna be disastrous up here for fires. Probably travel restrictions even, just to make sure more fires do not start up from human activities.

My personal belief is that during fire season human activity should be restricted when you know the risk of a blaze is extreme... That said I do realize that alot of fires are caused by natural forces.... but you guys up there are in crisis mode.. and unless something is done.. there will be very little tourist $$ coming your way.... The problem is people are thinking about the NOW rather then the LATER... The Lodge owners might not like it... but if one needless fire could be averted due to human activity??... is it worth it?

Gerritt.

Well thats really bad news. :unsure::angry: ..man i sure hope you guys up there get some rain real soon....thats a bad situation,and people are going to lose their homes and their busniseses,and lets hope that everyone stays safe. :dunno: ..hope the rains come

As Tom said, it's a serious situation here right now. We ended last fall in extreme drought conditions with fires burning as late in the season as I ever recall. Then we were blessed with a very mild winter with virtually no snow. I think I shoveled my driveway once. Now it's spring. The forests are tinder dry. Folks relying on well water are out of luck. Lake Superior is down 40+ inches, an 80 year low. And it was at least 80 degrees F here today. Unheard of. And more heat to come.

My personal belief is that during fire season human activity should be restricted when you know the risk of a blaze is extreme... That said I do realize that alot of fires are caused by natural forces.... but you guys up there are in crisis mode.. and unless something is done.. there will be very little tourist $$ coming your way.... The problem is people are thinking about the NOW rather then the LATER... The Lodge owners might not like it... but if one needless fire could be averted due to human activity??... is it worth it?

Gerritt.

For us, yes it is worth it, despite tourist dollars.

Thats why I posted this, to inform people coming up this way, we are in crisis mode right now, and their dollars may be better spent elsewhere, unfortunately. I don't want people who have booked places ahead of time to have to waste their hard earned cash to travel long hours this way, and not be able to have a good experience up here, cause they will be turned away from the border, or highway access, whatever.

Everyone heading up this way, please keep a good keen eye on the situation up here, and call ahead to your destinations for updates on the fire notices.

Might save you a lot of $$$$$$$$$$$, travel time, etc., even if it does crush your plans of fishing getaway. Better to be safe.

:( Gee1 Thats a sad state of affairs for you guy's up there.I got caught with one on a fishing trip near Temagami years ago, just a bit hair raising to say the least.

You were forcasting this all Winter, pity it came true.

The weather forcast says rain in your area Tues P.M. All the best.

Hate to hear this Tom!

I guess I should invest in a fire suit eh!

In the past I have seen fires first hand from the air said but an awesome site.

Been pretty lucky about the travel plans in the past but two years ago we had a ban on fires until the last two days of a flyin trip.

Hope you get some rain!

Whopper

I haven't heard of any fires in this area yet but I expect to. We had minimal snow through the winter and little rain this spring. On the plus side it'll mean fewer black flies and skeeters as the creeks and swamps dry up. There was virtually no runoff and the blackflies depend on that. Every cloud has a silver lining.

As Gerrit mentioned earlier in the thread, this IS a sign of things to come. It is no surprise to me. 2 years ago we had a fire ban on the long weekend. That was the first time for no camp fire on the long weekend of May that I can recall. I have been going fishing on the walleye opener for 15/20 years.

I will still go this year, unless the MNR has a road block or a new fire starts in the area where I will be fishing. I will just have to drink more beer to keep warm instead of having the fire. Just a little harder to roast wieners. hahaha

When everybody is praying for precititation for the north country, just be sure to make it only for long, extended summer rains and nothing too severe, as lightening is BY FAR the biggest cause of forest fires.

Edited by lew