Any garage door experts out there? COMPLETELY NF

Headhunter

Hey folks,

I have a two car garage and the original door and opener dating back to 1978. The door opens just fine, but when closing, it practically bounces it's way to the ground. If I apply some downward pressure to the door (prctically hanging off of it!) it seems to help with the jerky motion downward. The motor seems fine, I have practically emptied a can of white mechanics grease on the main arm the door travels, it seems pretty well lubed up.

Any thoughts from folks with more experience would be greatly appreciated! I would rather NOT have to buy a new door, but will if I have to...

Thanks in advance!

BTW - it is somewhat related to fishing as all my gear is in the garage... that should sooth the haters!

HH

first take Alberts advice and check the chain tension... Then grab a ladder and climb up to the motor, there you should see some adjustment screws. One set for up/down travel and One set for up/down force. Leave the travel ones alone.

make small adjustments to the down force and test the door each time.

Also make sure all the rollers actually turn and none are seized.

Hope you get it sorted

G

first take Alberts advice and check the chain tension... Then grab a ladder and climb up to the motor, there you should see some adjustment screws. One set for up/down travel and One set for up/down force. Leave the travel ones alone.

make small adjustments to the down force and test the door each time.

Also make sure all the rollers actually turn and none are seized.

Hope you get it sorted

G

Thanks Gerritt.... up the ladder I will go...

HH

Don't know how cold it is where you are but the gent that installed my garage door told me to only use a very light spray lube (like WD40 or light penetrating oil) on the rollers and shaft. He said anything heavier will get really thick in the cold and make the door stick or cause extra work for the opener.

Good luck.

Burt :)

Don't know how cold it is where you are but the gent that installed my garage door told me to only use a very light spray lube (like WD40 or light penetrating oil) on the rollers and shaft. He said anything heavier will get really thick in the cold and make the door stick or cause extra work for the opener.

Good luck.

Burt :)

never use WD 40 on garage doors there is a specific garage door lube (more similar to 3+1 oil....I think after you examine the tracks and follow Gerrits advice....you should be good to go....

never use WD 40 on garage doors there is a specific garage door lube (more similar to 3+1 oil....I think after you examine the tracks and follow Gerrits advice....you should be good to go....

Just relaying what the garage door dude told me (he put WD40 on it!) :dunno:

Just wanted to say thanks to all who replied here... unfortunately I have not had an opportunity to give your suggestions a go... and looking at my current schedule, I am thinking the weekend will allow me time to run through all these suggestions.

Just didn't want you good folks to think that I have "loned" you...

HH

Pull the release for the opener and let it travel all the way back without the door Then check to see if the door works smoothly. If it does start checking the opener.

Like Pylon said.

I'm no espert on repairs or trouble shooting problems, I only sell doors and openers, but this is the advise I give people as to where to start at. This way it will at least allow you to know if it is a door prob or opener prob. Remember a GDO is not designed to overcome garage door issues. It's only there to assist the spring(s) with lifting and closing.

Thanks again to all who chimed in...

I released the door from the opener and it rolled smoothly, so I know it was not the door. The dudes who installed this opener, did a pretty crappy job. The opener is just hanging from a 2x4 that just hangs from the garage rafters. So, when/if that board gets moved, the pole doesn't line up at a 90 degree angle to the door.

Well, someone it appreas moved that 2x4 and after a good long look, I moved it up to square, re-lubed the tube and it works fine again.

Oh, I also adjusted the clutch on the bottom of the unit and that helped to tighten the chain... hopefully, all is well for now.

A big thanks to all who provided insight... it's one of the things that make this place great!

HH

Good job. Now you found where the problem is you'll know where to start if it should act up again and you have a new found understanding of how these things work. Did you add anything to the 2x4 to secure it in place, Maybe an angle or another piece of 2x4? It may well happen again if you only tightened things up.

I'd contact the guy who installed it and let him know that his attachment method to the ceiling or joist didn't work.

Edited by pikehunter

Thanks for the advice, but given that the door, assembly and house were built in 1978, I don't think I can follow up with the original installers.

Funny thing about this house, we moved in here just over 5 years ago and I have been spending time and money, bringing it up to date with regard to appliances, A/C, well you name it!

The folks we bought the house from were Actuaries, which means they would calculate the return on investment on everything, before they spent a dime! We knew what we were getting into when we bought the place, but man o man, were they ever cheap!

HH

Edited by Headhunter