MY BOAT SANK! NEED HELP (update #3, May 9)

young_one

Someone took the boat out and left the dock lines in the water so my buddy goes to clear the lines and damn , somebody tied something to them. A good hard look into the dark water and sure enough there's the boat.

Kids were playing in the boat and shut off the bailer.

If you install an automatic bailer switch do not put it in line with another switch wire it direct so it can't be shut off.

Bad deal. Agree 100% that 5am wasn't the best time for a maiden voyage, too. My money's on your plug....yes you checked that it was IN, but there are styles of plugs that will leak freely even when they're in. The flip-up style seals pretty tightly. The screw-style with the little T handle is trickier. My Lund has the latter, and is actually missing the nut off the end. It needs to be hand tightened, inserted and then tightened using the T handle as a final step. If I put the plug in loose, it will leak. If I check the tightness, insert it and then re-tighten, the boat stays drier than a popcorn fart for months in the water on end. I'd bet it was something very simple, most accidents are. That's a lot of water that came in in four hours....something leaked and leaked real fast. I'm almost certain you had to have been taking on water while you were out fishing as fast as you were while moored overnight. Javex and urinal soap pucks in the compartments will help clean-up, and leave all storage boxes open indefinitely, try to keep covering the boat to a bare minimum. Good luck and hope you get back in business soon.

When my live well pump intake nut failed it only took a few minutes for water to come up to the base of the side consol and that was a lot of water in a very short time. I was lucky I hadn't docked the boat and gone visiting.

Hooking up an alarm to the float switch is not a bad idea might piss a few people off in a marina if it went off too often during the night. I think I'd make sure someone knew where to get hold of me if it happened.

I dunno, THAT MUCH water from a leak??? I own a Tracker Pro Deep V 17 and fished all day in it with the plug out once, water nrver came up thru the floor drain in the bottom deck! I noticed it was a bit sluggish at top speed, but thought I just needed a tune up.

I finally figured out what happened when I put the boat back on the trailer and pulled it out of the lake... that's when the stream of water from hell came pouring out of the plug hole!!!... but now my bilge is clean! :w00t:

If the new boats take on that much water, I'll stick with my old one.

I dunno, THAT MUCH water from a leak??? I own a Tracker Pro Deep V 17 and fished all day in it with the plug out once, water nrver came up thru the floor drain in the bottom deck! I noticed it was a bit sluggish at top speed, but thought I just needed a tune up.

I finally figured out what happened when I put the boat back on the trailer and pulled it out of the lake... that's when the stream of water from hell came pouring out of the plug hole!!!... but now my bilge is clean! :w00t:

If the new boats take on that much water, I'll stick with my old one.

Dumass :thumbsup_anim: !!

Main engine 150HP + additional 9.9HP Pro Trolling Motor, the transom has a lot of additional weight, thus the water line becomes a bit higher. With the additional weight, water is easily accessed through the two circled red holes. Usually it is fine to have water coming in and out through these two overflow transom holes, but the problem that caused everything was indeed another problem with improper sealing in the area of these two holes. (Both mechanists agreed)

Those boats are meant to take more HP then 150, hence bigger motor = heavier motor, i can't see the reason it sinking is cause you popped a kicker motor on it, and it's added weight is the reasoning why your boat sank...

Uncle Buck, the recommended Max HP for this boat is 175HP. Both 175 and 150HP have same weight. (Mercury 4-stoke, even the Verado) It is the liter of the engine that settles for different weight.

Example: Mercury Optimax, 1.5L 75-115HP 2.5L 135-175HP 3.0L 200-225HP.

So what I’m trying to say is, the transom is definitely taking a lot of weight, and certainly it is NOT the reason why it sink, it only accelerated the water intake process. -_- Sry I'm not very good explaining the problem, there's still alot for me to learn, boat engine parts, engine difference, proper boat part terms and etc.

The additional weight was not the cause for why the boat sank, it was the improper sealing around the area with the overflow holes. The additional weight only accelerated the sinking process. My blue waterline is only a rough sketch, but I can ensure you that the water was able to go through the transom overflow holes quite easily. In terms of what the dealer has settled on us, nothing right now is confirmed. I would only post information/updates when the decision has already been made, just to be accurate when I inform all of you. :)

I hope I explained the problem well enough now...:blahblah1:

I hope I explained the problem well enough now...:blahblah1:

Your explanation is perfectly clear young one and thanks for the updates.

Alot of us boat owners are waiting anxiously for the outcome of this.

Sorry to hear about your boat...that is some bad luck for a first trip out. It is an older 2004 Tundra with a 20" transom so the sealant in the transom splash-well may have been leaking or below the water-line sealant was not used by the service centre. Tracker changed that design in their 2006 and newer year models when they went to a 25" transom on the Tundra 18. The full splash-well seam is now welded to prevent any sealant from leaking.

I would recommend you instal a second bilge pump as a backup. The best choice would be an automatic bilge pump if you ever plan to leave the boat in the water over night or unattended for long periods of time. A loose fitting, cracked connection or many other variables can make for a very bad day on the water in any boat.

It is a great boat and now that you have worked out few of the boating blues you can get down to some serious fishing.

-s

I would settle for nothing less than a new boat, motor, etc. And tell the manufacturer they are lucky you don't sue them for your gear that was damaged, your time, costs, etc.

This was the FIRST DAY on the water and the boat will never be the same and its THEIR fault. Its a boat and its supposed to float and thier poor quality control should not be your problem for the next 10 years.

I would settle for nothing less than a new boat, motor, etc. And tell the manufacturer they are lucky you don't sue them for your gear that was damaged, your time, costs, etc.

This was the FIRST DAY on the water and the boat will never be the same and its THEIR fault. Its a boat and its supposed to float and thier poor quality control should not be your problem for the next 10 years.

It was a 2004 boat...it is not a new boat.

-s

OK - well if its a 2004 - same story for the dealer.

Boats should float at bare minimum. If you bought a car and the undercarriage fell off the day you drove it off the lot and destroyed the car and half your gear, would you want a new car?

i agree with eye tracker on it being a 04 , but regardless if it was purchased as a new boat all warranty's apply, and tracker does state a lifetime on the hull. not knocking tracker as i own one myself and dealt with problems as well, they will come though for you as it is a long process, they did for me, repainted my boat decaled it twice, because it was not done right the first time, any how if it was bass pro , John Miller will come thru for you,and rudness will get you no where's with this guy, just get it all in writing, another go to guy for tracker canada is David Dusome, he is the head guy for tracker canada, getting a new boat is far a few between unless there was a serious manufactures defect,( a SAfety issue)The key is to be patient, as far as electronics speak to lawrence from lowrance canada in missasuga, this is a great company. Hope all goes well for you.