MY BOAT SANK! NEED HELP (update #3, May 9)

young_one

May 9, 23:45

The result from yesterday's boat inspection/testing was confirmed, and the problem was found!

When the boat was at the dealer's garage, all the in-land testing was suggesting that the boat was 100% water-tight. The live well, bait well, bilge, hull and etc were all problem free. In the afternoon, we took the boat and two boat dealer’s mechanists to a local boat launch. Quickly after the boat was in the water, the problem revealed itself. Earlier in the day, the mechanists already fixed the problem with the seal. (red label in my previous picture) The main cause was in fact similar to the red labeled seal.

n505661706_63502_9178.jpg

In this picture(taken before the seal was fixed)

Main engine 150HP + additional 9.9HP Pro Trolling Motor, the transom has a lot of additional weight, thus the water line becomes a bit higher. With the additional weight, water is easily accessed through the two circled red holes. Usually it is fine to have water coming in and out through these two overflow transom holes, but the problem that caused everything was indeed another problem with improper sealing in the area of these two holes. (Both mechanists agreed) :D

n505661706_63501_8886.jpg

Here is a poor attempt of taking a shot of one circled red hole.

Maybe for some of you expert boaters, this problem might not be seen to have caused enough leakage, but indeed THIS WAS IT! Approximately (really rough estimate) for every min the boat was in the water, and the bilge pump was working non-stop for 30sec, it would pause for the reminding 30sec. If the boat was unintended and the bilge pump was not activated,(this boat is not equiped with auto-bilge pump) the water would come in profusely, and with added water weight, the rate would increase.

I would like to thank the two mechanists from the dealer who joined us with the in-water inspection. They did a great job with patience, and the problem was ultimately found.

May 8, 22:00

After a really long day for my parents, and I joined them after school. We have new updates!

The dealer is still in the process of boat inspection, they found some problems. The only thing that both parties can confirm 100% is that, the boat was NOT swamped.

I'll continue to update any news that I receive. Thank you all for your concerns and expertise. Through this topic, I can truely feel the sense of community in this forum.

Thank you OFC Community

Picked up the family’s new boat on Friday afternoon.

- Tracker Tundra 18 SC, 04 Edition.

My father and I carefully went through all the boat orientation with the Boat Centre representatives. Arrived in Mohawk Bay Trailer Park, Deseronto, Bay of Quinte in the evening. We launched the boat with the help of some experts. (THE BOAT PLUG WAS TRIPLE CHECKED) We thought it was going to be a great weekend…

But it was a TERRIBLE EXPERIENCE with the new boat

1st thing on the water, the engine won’t start, but we eventually solved the problem with our own limited ability.

Since it was at night time, we decided to try some night time walleye fishing.

2nd, when we tried to turn on the night navigation lights, it didn’t work properly. Back at the boat centre, it worked fine. Frustrated in the dark, my father and a friend went through the boater’s instruction manual. It turns out, the brand new electric fuse was broken and we had to replace with another one. :S

We fished until 5am and docked the boat.

- We turned all the triggers off, especially the master power button.

We went back to the motel and got some quick rest.

9am in the morning, our peaceful breakfast was interrupted by an urgent phone call from the Mohawk Bay staff. “The back of your boat is filled with A LOT OF WATER!”

- We got there as soon as possible and the entire sitting area was filled water.

n505661706_58839_5053.jpg

n505661706_58838_4883.jpg

- At one point in the boat rescue, the lake was above the bow casting deck.

n505661706_58823_5241.jpg

n505661706_58824_5404.jpg

With plenty of help from many generous boaters in the area, and the MHBT working staff. (Dave and this other young gentleman) We were finally able to pull the boat out of the water after hrs of rescue.

n505661706_58822_5072.jpg

n505661706_58821_4832.jpg

n505661706_58803_3027.jpg

We inspected the boat and re-launched to see where the leak might’ve occurred, I conclude:

- No crack with the hull, our night time driving was very safe and slow. (Tough aluminum construction, Tracker Tundra is well-known for this durable boat hull)

- No bait well or live well over flow, I’m 100% sure the master power was off. (plus, the boat also has bait/live well overflow tubing)

- The plug was definitely in and well secured (Picture proof)

n505661706_58820_4662.jpg

n505661706_58799_2250.jpg

n505661706_58801_2663.jpg

- Bait well, live well drain control was turned closed.

The only possible problem we came up with:

This little seal was not done properly, and all the water that came in, rushed into the hull.

At this point, I’m still not sure what the exact problem was.

n505661706_58842_6469.jpg

n505661706_58843_6775.jpg

n505661706_59734_7014.jpg

Now I have to deal with:

- my fishing plan was ruined, a huge waste of time and labor

- Big engine propeller is grindy, cause it was dug into the sand when the boat was sinking

- Things are gonna get moldy not matter how much I’ve dried for the last 30 hrs

- Electric connection

- Trolling motor, four stroke was in the water as well.

- My new 997si fish finder was submerged

- My entire fishing tackle was submerged

I’m taking the boat back to the Boat Centre first thing tomorrow, and I’m gonna speak to the representative and see what will happen. I’ve spoken to many experienced boaters, and many of them have suggested to ask for a new boat, or simply just return it.

What if the boat centre only agrees to fix the boat?

I have absolutely no desire to keep this boat, after what it has gone through.

I really need all of your help on this serious matter. What are my options? How should I present myself to the boat centre representatives so that I could get the best option for myself.

Edited by young_one

I believe I spoke to Corey regarding that exact same boat a few months ago.........Personally with the plug in and that occurs Id be da mn straight up and be getting a new boat rigged with what you purchased or the next call Id be making is to my laywer... On a side note I cant see how that much water gets in over the transom unless there are 5 footers crashing it all night. More then likey its one of the inlets for the live well

Edited by aniceguy

I heard about a boat sinking over the weekend. The men at the weigh station were talking about it and the fact that a lot of ppl chipped in to help.

So sorry to hear it was yours Young One...

I would definately be returning it and insisting on a full replacement... take a woman with you who shops, they know everything about 30 day return policies.

Jen

The area that you circled was on the transom and well above the bilge... I doubt seriously if that is where the boat leaked. You need to launch the boat again and find out where it's actually leaking from exactly!... before you take the the boat back.

If you have to, fill the bilge with a garden hose to see if you can spot the leak. If you can't find anything there you need to test the livewell and baitwell systems.

This is a brand new boat? No question I would want a replacement. They will likely want you to go to your insurance company for items lost that were not part of the boat and your insurance company would then likely go after the manufacturer for reimbursement.

If there was big waves they can fill up a boat quick that has the rear end pointed into the wind...but I wouldn't think that much water...

Isn't there an auto-bilge on it?

Livewell pump/intake thru hull fitting let go or as others have suggested..it got swamped from wave action. Once one wave gets in..each one after it is only easier and a bilge isn't going to keep up with it...especially since you turned all the switches off by the sounds of it.

They are not going to replace your boat if it got swamped.

Edited by irishfield

Holy cow dude . That looks disastrous .

I don't have much experience with boats , but I wish you the best of luck .

Don't go there until you are 100% sure you know what the problem was . If you seem unsure , they might try to Bull you , depending on their customer service. GOOD LUCK ! It could've been worse.

Guest Johnny Bass

That really sucks!!!!!I would not be at all pleased for sure!!!!You need to get that boat inspected by someone other than them, to make sure what the problem was!!! Just in case they decide to shaft you!!!You dont want them saying its your fault!

$30 for a float switch to put in series with the one you have or to put on a seperate switch. Good for rainy nights!

Situation really sucks and I feel for ya young one.

BTW, least of your worries right now.. But who put the registration on the boat? NO xxxxx instead of the proper ON XXXXX

BTW, least of your worries right now.. But who put the registration on the boat? NO xxxxx instead of the proper ON XXXXX

Holy poop, your right. I suppose ON stands for Ontario? NO is definitely wrong? (I'm not experienced with boat plate) The dealer did the registration. :huh:

WOW. really sorry to hear about your bad luck !!

I agree with GCD, that spot you marked inside the transom appears too high above the water to be causing the problem, and my 1st thought was the transducer on the outside of the transom at the bottom. There's gonna be at least 2 holes drilled for that and possibly 4 and if the installer forgot to caulk the holes before fastening it, it would allow alot of water to come in past the screws.

Sure hope they get you fixed up fast so you don't miss out on too much of the season.

Please keep us informed

You wouldn't have happened to have made the mistake of docking the boat with the transom (motor end) pointed to open water and the bow pointed to shore? I know people are saying there wasn't any wave action, but from all the fishin' reports... it sounds like there was alot of boat traffic out there. Boat wake can be worse than natural wave action.

They are going to ask you if the hull was facing the waves. I am familiar wit MHB and if you were on the inside docks you probaly drove in meaning that your hull was facing shore, if that the case i doubt you will find a leak, you got swamped, sorry but insurance may be your only recourse.

Sorry to hear about the problem.

The first thing to do is remove everything that you can from the boat and get it dry. That means using a hair dryer on the electrical contacts and move alot of air thru areas that are closed off. You should pull the spark plugs on the motor and crank it thru by hand a few times then use the starter motor and pump thru for 5-10 seconds. Then send some fogging oil ( normal amount 1 second per plug hole) into each plug hole and replace the plugs but not the wire. Crank over for 5 seconds. Hook up the plug wires and start the motr using the water hose and run at an idle till it warms up. Go back to the electrical connetions and use a spray electrical contact cleaner on all of the connections you can reach remember to remove the fuses and spray down the socket and the fuses. Plug it all in and turn on the items to make sure they work. Take the boat back to the water and go fishing close to the dock. With the fact that you were fishing in the boat for quite awhile and no water appeared and you were careful not to hit any objects that could have holed the hull you need to prove to BPS that the boat leaks and were from before you should confront them.

The area you circled on the transom is cosmetic and not below the waterline pointing it out will only weaken your case for replacement IF you can prove a leak. IF you have a leak keep your case to BPS that it leaks don't go off on bad fuses and lights that don't work you will only sound like you don't like the boat and looking for an excuse to return it.

The way that this will likly playout is that you were swamped from wakes or waves. The good side is that it is freshwater and you will likly have no lasting damage from the water after all it gets wet when it rains. I would advise you to install a bilge pump that is twice the size that the factory pump is and make sure it has a float to take care of the times you are not their. Read the schematics for the auto pump most of them need to be wired to a switch and directly to the battery for them to protect you when the master/key is off.

Another suggestion. Don't rule out foul play. If the police contacted you, they should have a "incident number". If you did not get one from the reporting officer, get one! It may help authenticate the incident if you need to go a legal route or for insurance purposes.

Alan