MY BOAT SANK! NEED HELP (update #3, May 9)

young_one

Sorry to hear about the whole thing. I feel for you. One more thing to check. I know you said the plug was put in. But was it tightened by turning clockwise? I once had a problem when I didn't tighten the plug all the way and a week later, the boat was filled with a lot of water. Luckily it didn't have enough to sink. But I learned my lesson. I can imagine an untightened plug could have let in a lot of water.

Jackie

"Surely when Young One was out in the boat through the day someone must have noticed the bilge pump running or water coming in"

It was probably not a good idea to make your initial trip in the dark of night. This should be done in daylight so you can see that everything is functioning OK.But I can understand being eager to get the new ship launched.

My guess is that a thru-hull fitting for a livewell intake is not sealed properly.

Did you use the livewell(s) during the night?

A 17ft boat has a lot of room under the floor for water and if you are putting around in the dark the boat remains level and you may not be aware of leaking unless you try to get up on plane.

If you were used to the boat you would undoubtedly notice the sluggish feeling of filling with water but it's pretty difficult with the excitement of a new toy etc...

Real sorry for your luck but I don't think you should worry too much. As stated earlier here, boats are made to get wet. Dry it out good and pay attention to the electrical areas.

If this is found to be caused by the dealer I would concentrate on getting the seats replaced as they will be difficult to dry out and the insides will be prone to rot. Check out that Humminbird closely and make sure all functions work esp. the screen lighting. Look for moisture at the screens edges to indicate internal damage.

It's a beauty rig so I hope you get this sorted out and back on the water asap.

Keep us posted.

>Bill

Sorry to hear about it, before I got a lawyer involved and the added expense I would be looking for more insite on the cause. Bad fittings? or human error. My dad sunk his Lyman at Lady Evelyn by having it tied up too tight and the lake level went up. Boat traffic can cause it too, a lot of water in a wave.

Here's a very basic question that hasn't been asked (as far as i've read).

IF you boat was sunk by waves, why would it have been the 'only' boat? Wouldn't other boats have been sunk as well? I'm pretty sure if the waves are big enough to sink a boat of that size, it would have taken down some other boats that are smaller.....

That boat did not sink because of the waves. That boat handles the rough water like you wouldnt beleive even facing backwards. I was in that area and there was no wind at all around the time of the incidient. I would either suggest foul play by Jackasses would be my number one reason. Maybe a loose hose which causes the boat to fill without knowing. Its happened to me a few times. Especially the pumps being a little bit loose. That boat wasnt water tested so it would most likely be human error on either the Dealers behalf or the owner. I hope it was the dealer. Thats boats design is the same as mine the waves roll right off quickly from the well and thereare drainage holes there if you look closer. That stern is designed to shed the water quickly.

It wouldn't take a big wave, just lots of waves higher than the lowest point of entry. If the waves could get into the engine well and there is a leek where he pointed out to us, that could have done it. With the boat stern to the waves it would push water up the live well hoses, This is why inboards have check valve flappers in their xst systems. Depending on how the live well is plumbed, the hight of the live well compared to the lake and how the boat is loaded this could be a point of entry. waves higher than the bilge outlet can get in there as well if the hose is not looped.

WE can only guess, the only way to be sure would be to put it back in the water, if no water comes in back up and see what happens.

That boat did not sink because of the waves. That boat handles the rough water like you wouldnt beleive even facing backwards. I was in that area and there was no wind at all around the time of the incidient.

Have you ever been fishing with no boats in site on a calm day just minding your own business and your boat gets rocked by some 'where the hell did that come from' wave? I'm not talking tsunami, just a 1 footer out of nowhere. Imagine that same wave rolling into shore and coming back out. This puts the boat inside a swell and prone to the follower. It's too hard to rule out being swamped and Young One will have to find a serious defect to persue compensation.

Young One;

My deepest sympathies, I just can't imagine walking down to the dock and seeing that.

As others have said, a third part evaluation is the way to go. Document everything and don't do anything yourself.

-Brian

This is just a thought, but is there any chance the big lake freighter passed close-by coming from, or heading towards the cement plant in Picton Bay ??

I remember one night quite a few years ago, we were camped on Adolphus Reach and the ship was heading for the big lake and threw up such a huge bow wave that it tore my boat from the dock and shoved it right up on shore.

That was about 10 PM but I don't know if it ever travels in the middle of the night.

Hey Guys ,after talking to a few buddies that were at Mowhawk Bay on the weekend and witnessed this unfortunate event , they all confirmed what has been stated here by young -one. You can pretty well rule out swamping as there were no other boats that were swamped and my one buddies boat was docked right beside it. The boat was in fact properly tied to the dock cleats so it didn't smash agaist the dock.

There has to be an explaination though. one theory would be a faulty livewell fill pump and something like......a dead walleye got stuck over the overflow hole? I have seen it happen while out in simcoe. This is just a theory , trying to help Young-one. Hope all works out.

Swamping? May be!

Tracker are now a welded boat, NO.

I've heard of this, but note seen it.

The guys that told me this are structural inspectors.

With it being a hull of a boat or pressure vessel.

That a crack( mostly in the weld) will only appear when the pressure is on the outside of the vessel.

All vessels are check by being submerged under pressure.

With a hull the more weight that you but into the boat, the more pressure you add to the outside on the hull.

Opening the crack.

Tank of gas. Tackle. People. ENGINE.

Also the toque that is put on the hull from the engine.

A out board puts a tremendous tension on the on the entire boat.

That your traveling though water. Which is ten time more denser then concrete.

And a hull that hasn't been seated or flexed.

Thats right the boat is aluminum. Its the same as mine, they only look like glass. There was a freighter around trhat morning but it would not sink the boat. It would have to be one huge wave to do just that and why were there no other boats damaged. I'm telling you I've bought three trackers before and the compant they use for their pumps are famous for leaving it unlocked and thus the water will trickle in from the pump being knocked loose. It almost is for sure mechanical. I would inspect all the welds at the stern, as there are no more visable for cracks. You have to check your hoses and pumps every time before you go on the water. What does it take 5 minutes, big deal. I've seen it happen to some of the best boats on the market. I use a little bit of thread seizer on all the clamps to ensure they dont get knocked lose during some rough rides.

Hey young one. I went over my boat tonight with a fine tooth comb. Your boat will dryout easily. Seems to me that our boats have a very heavy guage wire so it will handle the water easily. You fuse block will be ok for sure as its designed to get wet, no problem there. Go out and buy plugs for your livewells and baitwells that you can put in when not in use just like I have. You should dry your boat out completely and buy a can of marine grade adhesive for some spots that will or might have lifted a little. Power wash the inside first though as to get out any sand and debris. I power wash my boat twice a month and trust me it gets fully wet inside like yours. I would have your motor serviced at a proper mercury dealer. Dry out everything well and spray a anti mold spray deoderizer. You will be fine. Drain all the fuel and change any fluids and clean and check all wire connections. Hope it works out.

Edited by eastfisher

After a really long day for my parents, and I joined them after school. We have new updates!

The dealer is still in the process of boat inspection, they found some problems. The only thing that both parties can confirm 100% is that, the boat was NOT swamped.

I'll continue to update any news that I receive. Thank you all for your concerns and expertise. Through this topic, I can truely feel the sense of community in this forum.

Thank you OFC Community :D

assumming all the assumptions are right, then it got vandalized.....some people are jealous and will do crazy things. Boat near yours with hose attached to their livewell pump (some use to clean their boat) and pumped to your new boat. I know this is distorted but it had happened to us while we were docked and returned unexpectedly. We caught the idiot in the act. He was almost drowned and charged with mischief...Funny thing was, the wifey dropped kicked him to the water and asked question later. We returned the favour and gladly took the hose to his 30' cruiser while he stayed on another boat. Cop showed up about 2 hours later. He had more water in his boat than ours. You/Your boat will survive this misadventure.

ANYONE out there NO if there is such a thing as a water alarm you could install . THAT would sound of if the water got higher then lets say 6 to 8 inches from the bottom of your boat. JUST A THOUGHT. MAYBE wired into the horn on the boat .

Edited by mrpike