NF What to do if your vehicle goes through ice

woodenboater

I am serious though... if you wanna give it a try just let me know.. and I'll let you know next time the dunker guy is in the area. You won't get out of that cabin with a float suit on! It's hard enough figuring out where you are and getting out alive in street clothes.

I am serious though... if you wanna give it a try just let me know.. and I'll let you know next time the dunker guy is in the area. You won't get out of that cabin with a float suit on! It's hard enough figuring out where you are and getting out alive in street clothes.

I'd definitely be up for that.. Although you really can't compare an airplane cockpit to a fullsized truck with open windows :) I can't imagine the plane is easy to get out of in the best of circumstances! lol

Sure you can.. a 3' x 4 door that swings forward.. is a 3' x 4' door that swings forward. The window in the airplane is actually bigger than my trucks. Part of the issue... if you drop through quick is disorientation... and that's the best part of the dunker machine... it teaches you after a few trips down into the pool how to survive the ordeal.

Sure you can.. a 3' x 4 door that swings forward.. is a 3' x 4' door that swings forward. The window in the airplane is actually bigger than my trucks. Part of the issue... if you drop through quick is disorientation... and that's the best part of the dunker machine... it teaches you after a few trips down into the pool how to survive the ordeal.

Wayne, I'll be more then happy to give you a few laughs at my expense, lol! :) As long as we have a few adult pops after I'm dragged out of the tank by the divers!

That actually sounds like a really useful training tool...

I've always wondered what's worse.... With a suit or without in a vehicle...

If I'm driving out I usually suit up on the ice... But just out of convenience.... 30+ minute drive in a float suit sucks...

I still don't think a life vest/float suit is buoyant enough to pin me to the roof to the point where I cannot CRAWL out.... I understand you cannot swim down with a vest but I would think i could pull myself down and out...

Edited by Mike Rousseau

I still don't think a life vest/float suit is buoyant enough to pin me to the roof to the point where I cannot CRAWL out.... I understand you cannot swim down with a vest but I would think i could pull myself down and out...

This is my point.. It's not like it's a magnetic suit and you're stuck to the top of the truck cab. If the window is open, pull yourself through and let the suit do it's job, no need to worry which way is up or down.

I think the thing that kills most people is being disoriented and panicking. I can't say I know what that's like (and hopefully never will)

Love reading this stuff. I've seen almost any type of vehicle out on Simcoe, including buggy jobs for the desert (him, I'd like to meet again, late 80s). Going as fast as it would go with no care whatsoever.

let's not argue on what is safe and what is not, OR what can be done with what safety equipment.

We are chansing it and should take outmost care. There is always someone on shore waiting for us.

A fish or a good day out is not worth a life. I have done some stupid things that when I read these posts wish I would have not done.

I love when we get posts on how to repair a leaking rivet in the summer, yet we drive a truck into the unknown in the winter.

Just my two cents.

Al, I got room on the back of the sled if you wanna get out! LOL!

thanks Bill, I'll stay on the sidelines for now, I started in '68 and loved it, did it all.

But one of these days I may come back. I've never caught a perch on Simcoe!

Lots whites, herring and lakers and ONE ling that the CO wanted, thanks, but I'll eat it.

Just be safe out there.. Getting home is what is alll about!

394778_10151448085803385_1434567282_n.jp

379309_10151448085553385_1105521522_n.jp

149505_10151448085598385_1401009369_n.jp

i would say that the fish get a laugh every time someone goes thru... this is my buddy after his latest trip thru, i pulled him out no prob, as the ice was 6 inches thick just steps away from the log. no joke though.. he was freaked out and needed someone there to calm him down to make an easy exit from the water. he still had a chill in his bones 3 days later. Best piece of advice i can give which shhould be common sense... is if you do go thru, in a car/truck, quad, sled or just walking.. remain calm, ... think...... and if there is someone there with you to help... do not pull them... let them pull you, my week away could have turned out alot worse if my buddy hadn't taken a second to relax and listen. plus i wear a floater suit lol

Edited by Trent River Fishin'

sigh...it's rather frustrating when people think they know more than experts.

Canadian Coast Guard: Open your windows, unlock your doors, and turn on your lights to allow for a quick escape from your vehicle. Some ice-safety experts recommend that you have your seat belt unfastened and your door slightly ajar to speed up an escape. Don't wear a life jacket while riding inside an enclosed vehicle; the extra bulk and flotation could hamper your escape through a window.

Wiki: Aircraft devices for crew and passengers are always inflatable since it may be necessary to swim down and away from a ditched or submerged aircraft: inflated or foam filled devices would significantly impede a person from swimming downward in order to escape a vehicle cabin.

Minnesota DNR: Never wear a life jacket if you are traveling in an enclosed vehicle, however. It could hamper escape in case of a breakthrough.

New York government website: CAUTION: Do NOT wear a flotation device when travelling across the ice in an enclosed vehicle!

I like milk with my corn flakes :)

lol... i love it :clapping:

sigh...it's rather frustrating when people think they know more than experts.

Canadian Coast Guard: Open your windows, unlock your doors, and turn on your lights to allow for a quick escape from your vehicle. Some ice-safety experts recommend that you have your seat belt unfastened and your door slightly ajar to speed up an escape. Don't wear a life jacket while riding inside an enclosed vehicle; the extra bulk and flotation could hamper your escape through a window.

Wiki: Aircraft devices for crew and passengers are always inflatable since it may be necessary to swim down and away from a ditched or submerged aircraft: inflated or foam filled devices would significantly impede a person from swimming downward in order to escape a vehicle cabin.

Minnesota DNR: Never wear a life jacket if you are traveling in an enclosed vehicle, however. It could hamper escape in case of a breakthrough.

New York government website: CAUTION: Do NOT wear a flotation device when travelling across the ice in an enclosed vehicle!

first off... i don't think anyone here said they know better then anyone else.. reading back, i see a bunch of guys sharing their opinions on a very serious matter. you have pretty much confirmed everyone's posts with info from a bunch of sources. i used to drive in my late father's truck all the time across the bay at my cottage to get in, and to go out fishing before we had a quad. there was also 12-20"+ in those days. as bill said.... i always wear my float suit while on the ice, even if its 12". but i too have a quad/skidoo for that. i won't take my $42,000 pick-up out on the ice south of north bay these days. but if i did.. my door is open with my left foot on it pushing if fully open...,, again, just an opinion :)

be safe bouys!!

Edited by Trent River Fishin'

.. he was freaked out and needed someone there to calm him down to make an easy exit from the water. he still had a chill in his bones 3 days later. Best piece of advice i can give which shhould be common sense... l

I went for a swim while snowmobiling a few years back, the interesting things I remember were

-the adrenaline of the situation allowed me to function, and not feel the cold

-after almost an hour of trying to get the sled hooked to a rope and on the ice, I suddenly felt cold, and like Trent River Fishin said, I didn't feel totally warm until 2 days after

Edited by chris.brock

Then you must have some difficulty understanding why some people drive like idiots on dry roads and successfully kill themselves.

So your comparing driving on roads to driving on the ice. Okay then. End of discussion for me.lol

Also most pfds are not snug fitting (let's be honest) so there will be ride up which could/will affect your mobility as it rides up over your head and the arm holes aren't where they should be. The loose fit and ride up, imo, will definitely hamper any movement to exit in a cramped, disoriented vehicle compartment. As Wayne said earlier, it's the disorientation that will make people panic.

I come from a whitewater canoeing background and have been under a canoe in moving water trying to set up a roll so have a small sense of what disorientation can feel like. Keeping calm should be the first thing to do.

Wanted to note as well that the flotation of a pfd shouldn't be underestimated. it won't be a simple matter to just push down and fight the float. These things are meant to keep users afloat so diving down a few feet will be tougher than one would think, imo. This is from experience wearing a whitewater specific vest in moving and still waters.

Why not Mr. Musky.. it's a way of life for many! Next time I go to the lake.. we'll park in town and go out to camp on sleds. You can spend a day or two shuttling the weeks worth of gear to camp from the highway! :)

Our family cottage is ice access or trail access only in winter. We do not drive, even for a week. We have 2 large toboggans that ride behind the snow machines. I refuse to take my vehicle on the ice. I have seen too many mishaps over the years. I do agree with you on the float suit in cars thing. If anyone thinks they are getting out with their he man strength in the eventuality that thevehicle went in before they got out a window, is kidding themselves in the extreme. I have a manual inflator as well, and if was going to ride in a vehicle on ice, that would be my choice!