How to get the PMs attention new rules for all Canadians

mr blizzard

well i haven't read all the posts in this thread i feel that i could respond to some of what i have read.

one poster stated the mayors of most towns make $87,000 a year. in Northwestern Ontario, the only mayor that MIGHT make that would be the mayor of Thunder Bay. As a former municipal councillor, I can tell you the time involved in representing your constituents and various committee meetings easily take up 25 hours a week. A mayor up in our area makes under 15,000 and a councillor makes under 10,000.

What the chief of Attiwapiskat makes is sickening when you look at the size of the community and the number of people on the municipal payroll, (and yes, i have been to Attawapiskat, I was the telephone guy along the James Bay coast for 2 years).

As far as the Idle no more movement, If we attempted to block a driveway let alone a major highway, international port of entry, or mail line we would have our asses hauled off to jail so fast you'd be stunned.

I got some more 3 word slogans for the people doing the blockades, "get a job" "no more handouts" "start paying taxes" maybe this would make the majority of Canadians be more sympathetic to the cause.

Honestly...

One of the biggest issues here is the Native arguement its self.

So is this protest about attawapiskat Scandal, the Algonquin land claim or Bill C-45???

There is no clear direction here?

They are NEVER going to get the support of the general public if they can't get their basic message out.

My $0.02

The attawapiskat Scandal IMO is a misappropriation of funds that was handled by the Natives in this case...its pretty plain to see if your asking me

The Algonquin land claim is bogus...there never was any treaty to begin with, only the age old arguement of "this was once my land" when in reality its not.

Its Canadian land, and had been since the day Canada was conceived.

Its been to long to re-open that debate....unless of course I can lay some claim to the lands once owned by my great, great, great grandparents and expect to have it given to me. And really....unless I'm missing something I've read, read and re-read Bill C-45 and I personally don't see what the issue is here....Its there to speed up some proccess time and cut some red tape on Native Land leases options which still require the approval of the Minister of Aboriginal Affairs.

Honestly I don't get the static over this???

The office of Aboriginal Affairs should really look into hireing a pulic relations representitive to polish up their image, and stream line their message, because the lack of clarity is not helping their cause one bit.

I have no problem understanding the Idle no more issues------maybe the confusion lies with the readers and pre-conceived opinions

several weeks ago I was stopped by striking teachers blocking the road----imagine??---OPP did'nt arrest them either

I did'nt rant and rave----I listened and moved on

Understanding takes listening sometimes and putting yourself in anothers' shoes.

define free money????being oppressed and chastised for generations free???? raped killed in Government run schools free???? .....but to answer you question ...there is a Nation in BC that his extremely successful by having very stringent plan of success and they are fulfilling it to the max....they own a 230 million dollar prison and have contracts of exportation/importation and harvest of all the resources that come from the land.....and yes ...they pay taxes into our Government..and hire other nations natives to educate train and provide more tax payers to OUR system

Free money.... Recieving money that isnt in return for work, or not earned. My ancestor were mistreated and killed in WW2. Do I think that entitles me to special priviledges? Absolutley not. Time to start living in the present.

it gets better.

i saw a bunch of them protesting the wind turbines going into haldimand today on the news...no problem...thats their deal...stop any form of progress.

HOWEVER, I personally insure the same wind turbines on an res up in Thunder Bay.

So if they are RECEIVING the money, its ok - no worries - nature can accept them if we are getting the money .... but in haldimand, where the natives aren't getting a cut of the coin, then all of a sudden, its some crap about nature and the land and all the other junk.

so insane it's hard to believe.

If those in the Idle no More movement themselves actually had any idea why they protesting, then it might be easier for the rest of the country to understand what they are trying to accomplish. Instead, it has turned into a circus

Pretty sure they know why---just takes a little research

Maybe the circus overtones are the typical divisive--misinformation the Conservative party built their platform on

As long as a question hangs out there-----the electorate is divided

Remember---climate change is a hoax pushed by the tree huggers-

it gets better.

i saw a bunch of them protesting the wind turbines going into haldimand today on the news...no problem...thats their deal...stop any form of progress.

HOWEVER, I personally insure the same wind turbines on an res up in Thunder Bay.

So if they are RECEIVING the money, its ok - no worries - nature can accept them if we are getting the money .... but in haldimand, where the natives aren't getting a cut of the coin, then all of a sudden, its some crap about nature and the land and all the other junk.

so insane it's hard to believe.

Who are them?? and do you have a link to show this??---newscast??---paper article??

Natives DO NOT get free schooling. And what they do receive is far less then average in this country.

Sorry.. I'm a little behind here, I had to work!

You'll be changing that tune and keeping your mouth closed when that football team you're breeding starts going to Post Secondary to become Doctors and Lawyers. Yours are all going to go to College or University for free, if they so chose, and you won't be forking out $100,000 per child like I did because they didn't qualify for OSAP! My mother always gave me an evil eye..... the numerous times my kids where burning thru $20 grand a year in University to a finally tally of $325,000 as of last week.... and I kept asking her, "are you sure... Gramma never had a native over in the cold North of Gooderham..., not even one night... so I can claim status"?

Now that said... for anyone that wants to get on a level playing field.. .go get your Teachers degree or become a professor... all their kids get to attend the institution they teach at for FREE as well, on the tax payers backs. A much kept quiet secret that I didn't learn about until I witnessed a whole slew of staff handing there own kids diplomas/degrees at Ryerson graduation ceremonies!

I'd also like to ask those that live on the reserves... is anyone actually keeping you there, in what people are complaining are appauling circumstances? Is it the fact that purchase and earned income are non-taxable that keeps folks there, or is it the lack of desire to advance into regular society. We have a few here, on the board, that have broken that barrier and I applaud them.

As far as schooling getting paid... I have a native friend that went to school (fully paid) after graduating, they recieved a check in the mail for $10 000. They thought it must be a mistake, and after looking into it, realized it was a " congratulations" from the government for getting off their butt, and getting an education. Really? Reward them for doing things that are commonplace in this country?

bushart - i just saw it on our 6 pm news. CH NEWS.

i'm sure there will be some online articles soon.

when there is, i'll have your link.

essentially they created a work stoppage at a haldimand wind farm construction site citing all the garbage i mentioned above - however, I insure a wind farm on native lands up in Thunder Bay.

natives for it if they are getting $$$ but against it if they are not getting $$$.

You'll be changing that tune and keeping your mouth closed when that football team you're breeding starts going to Post Secondary to become Doctors and Lawyers. Yours are all going to go to College or University for free, if they so chose, and you won't be forking out $100,000 per child like I did because they didn't qualify for OSAP! My mother always gave me an evil eye..... the numerous times my kids where burning thru $20 grand a year in University to a finally tally of $325,000 as of last week.... and I kept asking her, "are you sure... Gramma never had a native over in the cold North of Gooderham..., not even one night... so I can claim status"?

Now that said... for anyone that wants to get on a level playing field.. .go get your Teachers degree or become a professor... all their kids get to attend the institution they teach at for FREE as well, on the tax payers backs. A much kept quiet secret that I didn't learn about until I witnessed a whole slew of staff handing there own kids diplomas/degrees at Ryerson graduation ceremonies!

I'd also like to ask those that live on the reserves... is anyone actually keeping you there, in what people are complaining are appauling circumstances? Is it the fact that purchase and earned income are non-taxable that keeps folks there, or is it the lack of desire to advance into regular society. We have a few here, on the board, that have broken that barrier and I applaud them.

I think this is the most offensive post I have ever read on OFC. Breeding???? Grandma never had a native???? Wow!!

Alot of assumptions in this thread, hmmmm...

I think this is the most offensive post I have ever read on OFC. Breeding???? Grandma never had a native???? Wow!!

There was no intent to offend anyone... he has a BIG family on the go up there by the looks of his posts... all I was getting at. Couldn't imagine the cost to send them all to Post secondary when they get older.

As for the "did Gramma sleep with a native"... it is what it is. When you fork out the money I did to get my children a good education and you see others get if for free.. yah it burns your ass and you look for other avenues!

I think it's great we can discuss something like this, being civil and respectful, with the thread not being locked up

Manitou Bass, Twocoda, I'm with you guys, kudos to stating your opinion even if it's against the grain

Idle No More, The Occupy Movement, I'm in, I'm sick and tired of this garbage

I think it's great we can discuss something like this, being civil and respectful, with the thread not being locked up

Manitou Bass, Twocoda, I'm with you guys, kudos to stating your opinion even if it's against the grain

Idle No More, The Occupy Movement, I'm in, I'm sick and tired of this garbage

well now with you added ...that puts us up around 5 million in Canada alone...Cheers....

I'm still struggling to understand the root message of the movement, it's unfortunate but there seems to be a fairly significant number of "bandwagon jumpers" that will protest any cause they can sink their teeth into that disrupt the true message from coming through.

As a University student I'm finding a number of my peers have latched onto the cause and are attending rallies, but when asked they can't seem to really explain what they are protesting...

I'm still struggling to understand the root message of the movement, it's unfortunate but there seems to be a fairly significant number of "bandwagon jumpers" that will protest any cause they can sink their teeth into that disrupt the true message from coming through.

As a University student I'm finding a number of my peers have latched onto the cause and are attending rallies, but when asked they can't seem to really explain what they are protesting...

For the vast majority of the non natives its because..."when injustice becomes Law.... Resistance becomes Duty" Harper is counting on you to NOT pursue his motives and just go on with your happy life

I got some more 3 word slogans for the people doing the blockades, "get a job" "no more handouts" "start paying taxes" maybe this would make the majority of Canadians be more sympathetic to the cause.

Just to add

"Idle no more" so your getting a job and paying taxes like the rest of us and not looking for a hand-out. That sounds good to me.

Edited by Fish Farmer

bushart - i just saw it on our 6 pm news. CH NEWS.

i'm sure there will be some online articles soon.

when there is, i'll have your link.

essentially they created a work stoppage at a haldimand wind farm construction site citing all the garbage i mentioned above - however, I insure a wind farm on native lands up in Thunder Bay.

natives for it if they are getting $$$ but against it if they are not getting $$$.

Everyone should have to work for what they get in life for sure, I sure have no money tree. That applies to everyone.