January 12th open water walleye report

mike rousseau

Well

With the warm temps in the forecast I starting dreaming about getting out for another winter open water day like last year... Last year we got out in January and boated 27 walleye... So needless to say I was itching to try to repeat that experience.... So I started calling around to find some partners... And it didn't take long... First 2 calls jumped all over the opportunity... And wouldn't you know it... It was the same 2 from last January.... My brother and my buddy Pat.... So in the days leading to our planned outing I began getting things ready... Charged up the batteries.... Topped up the gas tank.... Dug the boat out of the snow.... Every day checking the weather network expecting the warm forecast to change... But it didn't.... Saturday morning we all met up at the launch (which was clear as could be) around 9am like a bunch if kids going to Disney land...lol... We headed out to where we had the most success last January... Nada... Nothing.... We were crushed... Then we tried one of the other spots we had success last January... Nada... Nothing... So realizing last years pattern was a bust we start fresh.... Pat suggested we try a spot... We pulled in and within minutes we could see some walleye on bottom... The water was so clear we were spotting fish in water as deep as 35 feet... It was crazy... But that meant in 35 feet the walleye could also see us.... And they were spookin... So we couldn't vertical jig... We had to cast long range and CRAWL our different presentations back... We did this for a while without so much as a bump...Then I feel something on my line like I hooked a clump of weeds.... Then it started to move... Then it was head shakin like crazy.... It wasn't long before we could see the fish in the gin clear water... It was a walleye... Finally we had hooked one.... Then we realized it looked pretty big... I thought it was the clear water magnifying the fish... Until it was in the net.... A true pig...

CCE2ACDC-024A-4686-A432-A9637C0BBF3C-266

Then we had a pattern.... So we continued to several other spots until we located more fish... We ended up finding an active school and boated 4 more from 2-4.5 pounds for the table....

5B869B6C-7DF4-43A5-8F33-E3FA49E4537A-266

We also spotted a submarine sized musky...

All and all an amazing day with amazing weather...

Thx for posting mike. Sounds like good time regardless of the # of fish!

In the boat in January I was happy to catch anything.... I was pleased with our catch of 5...

And any day you get a walleye over 10lbs is a great day....

Fried up the keepers today for lunch... Fresh walleye tasts soooo good...

Nice fish.

I think I'm going to have to find a new place to keep my boat in the winter. It's in my backyard and snowed in. Mind you now it's just slush and wet grass. Still, can't get to it.

With this weather becoming the norm, I don't want to be stuck without access to my boat anymore.

Those fish must've been real tasty in that cold water.

Edited by Jigs

Nice fish.

I think I'm going to have to find a new place to keep my boat in the winter. It's in my backyard and snowed in. Mind you now it's just slush and wet grass. Still, can't get to it.

With this weather becoming the norm, I don't want to be stuck without access to my boat anymore.

Those fish must've been real tasty in that cold water.

Yup...

We saw 7-8 other boats out as well... There were several launches open...

Regardless of the fishing quality it felt good getting out... Breaks up the winter blues... At one point I was in a long sleeve T-shirt it was so warm...lol

I know my boat will always be ready to go... Just in case we get weather like this... She's gassed up and batteries charged...lol

But like you said you need somewhere with access.... Luckily my driveway is huge... Fits my car... Truck... Boat... And still room for 2-3 more cars...