preserved minnows?

Gerritt

I think I know the answer, but If i trap minnows in the spring and then salt them can I keep as many as I want? (provided i only have120 alive at a time)

I believe that you can't have anymore then your limit at one time in your possesion , dead or alive .

I have tried them and caught diddly squat. They have an alcohol smell or something to them that I dont think the fish like. I was trying them out for catfish just laying on the bottom with no luck. Maybe on a jig or something where they are moving and are more of a visual thing they would work better.

I been freezing my left over minners for years .... and then use em in the winter for ice fishin .... I dont salt em ... just dump the water and stick the bag in the freezer .... caught some big-ash Lakers on last years suckers/shiners etc.

Just saying

Honestly though I would say you would be better off going to your grocery store and buying some frozen herring (chop em up if necessary) ... lots of old timers caught lots of monster lakers on grocery store herring !

Edited by camillj

I have heard of guys using smelt from the grocery store. At times they would chop them into chunks and use them with success. Whether that's legal or not not sure?

But your best bet is to go artificial for now until it's time to net your own emeralds.....salt like others have said. I personally have to work on my salting technique as they either dry out or get soggy.....