Simcoe Report

Fish Farmer

3 of use hit the ice yesterday off Bolster. Walk out was brutal, ice was rough from being broke up and refroze. We moved about 6 times till we found them. Lots of people out, even Steve's fish huts had his huts out. Holes we drilled had anywhere from 4 to 6".Buddy and myself, limited, other bud 20. Caught all my fish on micro jig and Perch eye. I started with a Gulp Maggot, soon I got a keeper, eye went on. My 2 buds wanted minnows, so took them to Casey's. Can't teach old guys new tricks :D they just had to have their minnows.

Word of warning, it was slushy near shore, with the mild temps coming, watch yourself. I saw lots of machines out yesterday, NOT this Cat, to risky. :stretcher:

IceFishingJan52013001.jpg

IceFishingJan52013002.jpg

Did the head count around noon, 35, through lots of dinks back. Few in the picture were 12 to 13"

IceFishingJan52013014.jpg

Good going FF :thumbsup_anim:

We had the same results there yesterday. I came home with 33 quality fish... nothing under 10 inches. 50 would have been easy as I threw back quite a few good keepers. We where getting a real good bite when we came off at 2:30. Hated to leave but I had enough fish and had to get home.

That walk was brutal on that busted up ice. I'm still feeling it this morning :(

I was out in one of Steve's rental huts yesterday. 19 FOW est 6-8 inches of ice, hard to tell when you don't auger the hole. Caught 60+ perch (stopped counting) and 4 herring, kept 12 perch 10-12 inches. Lots of small perch. Used the Marcum LX-5 and watched up to 4 separate perch rise off bottom into sight (10ft down) chasing my bait. Suprised coudnt see bottom, maybe suspended stuff in water? Group of walkers set up only 30 feet behind the hut who were encouraged to move and did.

I was out in one of Steve's rental huts yesterday. 19 FOW est 6-8 inches of ice, hard to tell when you don't auger the hole. Caught 60+ perch (stopped counting) and 4 herring, kept 12 perch 10-12 inches. Lots of small perch. Used the Marcum LX-5 and watched up to 4 separate perch rise off bottom into sight (10ft down) chasing my bait. Suprised coudnt see bottom, maybe suspended stuff in water? Group of walkers set up only 30 feet behind the hut who were encouraged to move and did.

We set up about a 100 yards from one of the Gray huts, I think they were Casey's huts. Lots of portables near us. We had 22' of water, we could see bottom no problem. My buddy caugt 2 Herring and released, there was lots around.

That will make for a great feed.

Boys at the Legion were happy, gave them a meal after I filleted :D

Good going FF :thumbsup_anim:

We had the same results there yesterday. I came home with 33 quality fish... nothing under 10 inches. 50 would have been easy as I threw back quite a few good keepers. We where getting a real good bite when we came off at 2:30. Hated to leave but I had enough fish and had to get home.

That walk was brutal on that busted up ice. I'm still feeling it this morning :(

Walk was brutal, we left around 4:30. Schools of Perch came in and left and back again. Lots of Hearing.

Some I kept were small but I wanted a good feed for the boys. I find the smaller are better eating.

nice going

I need to get on simcoe soon

Terry, your closer than me to Simcoe, I think I'd be there more often. But that could be a bad thing if you know what I mean. :D Boy I hate that drive home.

The weather network is talking temps above freezing all week. May put us back another two weeks or more on this side.

Nice feast FF.

Was thinking of going again this week, but I don't about the weather, or my body :D

Nice you got out with your buds, Dave. Split'em, salt'em and dry'em. Keep'em in the truck and throw one on the dash from time to time. You'll always have a snack close at hand. :)

You gave me an idea Roy, Salted or smoked Caplin comes to mind. Don't tell Brian :D

Nice haul. Appreciate the report FF. Out on Scugog yesterday and only an Eye caught in the group but great to be out for sure. Gotta get me to some deeper water.

Was just nice to get my fix for a day, now tomorrow, is another story. :D

Way to go Dave. Nice mess of perch there. I can't wait to get out :thumbsup_anim:

Better get out Joey, hope the ice holds for us. Those mild temps could make for a short season.

Just be careful. I may get back this week.

Good to see you got out for your fix Dave... looking at the 14 day forecast there'll be a lot of tears from Simcoe fisherpeople!

I'm thinking the same, could be a short season.

Nice haul me bye. Great looking feed.

Warm temps eh,just might get back on the river again. Maybe,having to much fun on the ice right now. :Gonefishing:

I saw some Perch down the hole that were looking for you bro. :D Get your aress in gear bro, may see ya out dare. :D

Awesome Dave :thumbsup_anim: These ain't pokadots but sure looks like a tasty meal B) I can smell the pan sizzling right now ummm perch fest :)

I'll trade ya for some of those pokadots Jacques :D