NF Wolves

davey buoy

yotes here in essex county. i had a problem with 1 yote. he would challenge us every day. 5ft away tail tucked ears back.i called mnr. they said shoot. but i am in windsor. called police they said cell phone us. i dont have one. called humane society. they wanted to tranq him. .i resorted to fire crackers. since he,s had pups with 2 females there were now 8 including pups. since that last year theres 7 dead ones rotting in the field. someone took care of all bur 1. the 1 yote left i see is living good.i see arabbit kill every day in the field. beware running dogs in yote area. they carry lots of disease thats transmitted to dogs

Crazy clip!!!!! whats that dude thinking

count me in!

Had two of them interested in my GSP while bird hunting a property in Springwater a month ago.

Going out in the AM with some 3.5 inch 00 dead coyote !!

Take em when you can!

R

Let me know next time your bird hunting in Springwater! Get together with the boom sticks, and blast some birds!

As far as the clip.... Dude is kinda crazy.

Beautiful animal yes, but encouraging it to nip and your hand or chew on your boot is asking for trouble.

Curious animals will always come back. If I was him would have gotten the boot upside the head

I couldn't agree more. If that where me, the Coyote would have gotten a mouth full of winter boot. I'm sure he was just looking for food. And for all we know, this could be a daily event for the guy? Regardless, he was egging the Coyote on. Trying to interact with it. Not smart IMO.

The woman killed by wolves at Haliburton Forest a number of years ago was an employee just starting work there. She was killed by captive wolves inside of a compound. I have a cottage maybe 9km from where the wolves got out. I was up there over New Years and did see wolf tracks, 2 together. Not unusual to see wolf tracks in winter there and once saw tracks inside of my snowshoe tracks from the day before. I've only seen one wolf in 11 years but have heard them while hunting. There is no legal hunting of wolves in WMU 54 in the areas around Algonquin Park, including the Haliburton Forest. The problem with the released captive wolves is that they don't know how to hunt and could interact with humans or pets for food.

I had either a coyote or wolf on my front lawn a couple months back but honestly don't know which it was. It was big, about the size of a German Shepherd and thick through the body with longish dark grey/black hair. I've seen plenty of coyotes but never one this big before.

It came wandering down the road early in the morning and up onto the front lawn and when I opened the door to yell at him he took off.

I'm over near Burliegh Falls but don't know if we have wolves around here or not, but I'm thinking I may be too far south for them :dunno:

We've got grouse around here? LOL!

There is a flock that I flush almost every time I walk thru the bush behind my house. The last time there was 7 in the flock. I have no intention of hunting the flock for a few years. I want to try to grow a healthy population first. Then take the odd one out with a bow when i feel like eating some bush chickens.

So far this winter on my sno route at night i've been looking at yote tracks that seem to go every where i do . How ever as time went on this little bugger took up sitting in the middle of the road making the trafic go around him . Right where the Old Barrie road meets Russel road , its a t in the road so you either go left or right , so theres a pie wedge there that dose'nt get any tire tracks and thats where he sits , i've seen him there many nights this winter and always ignored him , now lately one of my guys who also go's by there started chaceing the thing with the tractor and at the same time laughing and telling the rest of us on the two way radio what he's up to . The yote is not scared at all and when chalanged he just moves out of the road a few feet then go's back to his perch . Funny as hec , the other night i went flying around the cornnor off the old barrie road and go south on the old second and there was the yote coming right up the middle of the road towards me carring a garbage bag. Guess when he saw me coming he droped it then made for the ditch , then i guess thinking he had time ran back and grabed it and drug it to the ditch , then droped it again and left it as he headed for cover , it was funny to me to see him act the way he did and it kind of made my night as i thought how smart these things are getting . Well last night James one of my drivers who was trying every time he got the chance to take him out , said when he came in at the end of the night that some one had beat him to it and that my little buddy was found on the sholder of the road when he went by to be dead'r then a door nail . All i can say now to my little night freind is R.I.P. there little buddy .

tHIS YOU MAN WAS THE SON OF A FRIEND OF MINE. HE GREW UP IN OSHAWA, AND WAS WORKING FOR THE SUMMER IN NORTHERN SASK.Kenton Joel Carnegie, 22, maleNovember 8, 2005Prince Albert, Saskatchewan. Carnegie had gone for a walk and didn't return to the surveyors' camp where he was working. His body was found partially consumed in an area known to be frequented by four wolves which regularly fed on human refuse. The pathologist who performed the autopsy, testified Carnegie had lost about 25% to 30% of his body mass in the attack, with the top midsection to the thigh having been partially consumed.[38] Although originally the possibility that the culprit was an American Black Bear was not ruled out, a coroners' jury concluded after a two year inquiry that the attackers had indeed been wolves.[39][40]

This is an update on the HF wolves:

HALIBURTON, Ont. - Three of the four wolves that escaped from a wildlife reserve after vandals cut giant holes in a fence on New Year's Eve have returned.

Reserve officials believe the fourth wolf, an alpa male named Haida, was shot and killed.

The wolves that returned to the 70,000-acre privately owned Haliburton Forest and Wildlife Reserve - located about 260 km northeast of Toronto - had yet to re-enter the 15-acre wolf enclosure on Wednesday.

"They are literally outside the fence. They want to come back in, we just have to give them the opportunity to come back in," reserve owner Peter Schleifenbaum said.

Staff tried to lure them with food while trying to keep the pack's other five wolves inside the enclosure, he said.

The staffers were unable to get close enough to tranquilize the wolves.

"Because we're dealing with unsocialized animals that are afraid of humans, they don't approach us," Schleifenbaum said.

As for Haida, Schleifenbaum said he believes a passing motorist shot the animal dead and took its carcass.

He said staff members drove past the wolf centre Tuesday afternoon and noticed a trail of blood about 200 metres north of the centre.

"(Haida) was removed, we just saw the clear evidence...we know our wolves and are 99.999% certain," Schleifenbaum said.

The compound is surrounded by a double-fence - a 10-foot-high chain-link fence on the inside surrounded by a 12-foot-high fence. The giant holes were cut sometime between 5 p.m. and 7 p.m.

"We soon discovered that we still had wolves inside the enclosure and that it was not a tree that had miraculously smashed two fences but deliberate action by humans, who had cut large holes into both the inside and outside enclosures," the reserve said in a press release.

This is the first time something like this has happened at the wolf centre, which opened in 1996 and includes an observation area for the public.

"We didn't have any communication, we didn't have any threats or anything like that," he said.

The holes in the fence have been patched up.

The wolves were born and raised in captivity and have no experience with hunting or fending for themselves. The centre feeds the wolves dead carcasses.

Schleifenbaum doesn't think the wolves pose a threat to the public, but he is concerned about their growing hunger.

"They will approach local cottages as we expect them to look for food such as suet balls, garbage and even attempt to approach the odd small pet," he wrote in the release.

There is a flock that I flush almost every time I walk thru the bush behind my house. The last time there was 7 in the flock. I have no intention of hunting the flock for a few years. I want to try to grow a healthy population first. Then take the odd one out with a bow when i feel like eating some bush chickens.

Good on ya, hopefully it works. I actually rotate areas the dog hunts just to try and exercise some form of conservation. Would be easy to clean em all out in some areas.

I had either a coyote or wolf on my front lawn a couple months back but honestly don't know which it was. It was big, about the size of a German Shepherd and thick through the body with longish dark grey/black hair. I've seen plenty of coyotes but never one this big before.

It came wandering down the road early in the morning and up onto the front lawn and when I opened the door to yell at him he took off.

I'm over near Burliegh Falls but don't know if we have wolves around here or not, but I'm thinking I may be too far south for them :dunno:

Sounds like a hybrid.

Those are the ones I really don't trust.

R

Had a black fox come up to me while fishing here in the NWT a few years ago.

It wasn't scared at all and walked right up to me. :unsure:

I was float fishing for pike at the time and had frozen shiners for bait, so I fed the fox a few and sent him on his way.

But he wouldn't leave until I tapped him on the noodle with my fishing rod!!!! :lol:

Had this little visitor last summer, seems he wanted the bacon wrapper that was smoldering over the coals in the am. He made many return visits through out the park over the entire summer.

Micheal J2.jpg

Micheal J.jpg

- We named him Micheal J. :thumbsup_anim:

Edited by Toad Hunter

I have seen a good number of timber wolves over the years while working in the bush... Normally they shy away and are not a problem.

I followed one big guy on cross-country skies one day for over 3 kms... He led me to his den area .. This wolf tracked absoulutely compass straight for all those kilometres.... He home was in a low area with many willows. The daylight was fading fast when I decided it was best time to leave the area.. I am sure he was eyeing me from somewhere close by.

Another time I heard some howling in he middle of the day.. close up behind my tent. I ran up into the bush to try and catch a site of the wolves and came across 2 very young timber-wolf pups, all baby fur.. in a clearing.. Only about 20 feet away, with tongues out, waging their tails and wanting to play with me.. But mommy wolfe was close by just out of sight in the heavy brush, breaking dry branches with her feet to let me know she was there.. her way of telling me to get outta there... :)

If wolves get used to coming around for garbage and get used to being close to humans then you best kept your distance.

A young man from Ottawa was killed by wolfs a few years back while working on an air-borne geophysics survey at Points North in northern Saskatchewan. He went out by himself to photograph the wolves at the local garbage pit .. got way too up close and personal with them.

Like any wild animal .. wolves should always be respected.

I love wolfes and hate to hear talk about culling them for no good reason.

:dunno:;)