Need a new tow vehicle

captpierre

My old gal ( GMC Safari 350K kms) needs to be replaced.

Pretty sure I want an SUV 4X4. Pick up would do, but would rather an SUV.

Gotta tow a 17.5 ft Lund/115 Yammy but not often. Maybe once / year. around 4000lb

May schlepp a trailer with 2 ATVs in the future.

I have narrowed it down to:

Chevy Tahoe(used 2010-2012), Ford Expedition(used2010-2012), Toyota 4Runner(new).

Can anybody recommend one of these or another?

thanks, peter

Tahoe has the most bulletproof drive train out of the 3, although the Toyota is awful close, if not right up there besides it. The new 4Runner is awful looking (this is just a personal opinion, lol)

Edited by BillM

I would stick with the gmc, if that's what you like, brand loyalty aside, gmc has a stronger drivetrain and a better ride than the toyota, the ford is a gas guzzler supreme but will do everything you ask of it and more, toyota easy to say will have a new car warranty and for the most part somewhat higher quality than the other two if resale is your thing can't beat a toyota

I picked up the Honda Ridgeline, threw a cap on the back. Works great. Comfortable seating for the family and tons of room for gear - way more than in most SUVs. Pulls the 16 footer and a weeks worth of camping or cottaging no problems with power to spare. .Mileage is reasonable, and resale is unbeatable. Recommended in the Edmunds 2012 Guide -if you're gonna drop that kind of coin on a vehicle, drop $20.00 on the guide. Had I done that when I was looking for vans 2 cars ago, no way I would have ended up that Chevy Venture- owning was an adventure every time it went in for service - faulty intake and head gaskets, paint TSBs, lower control arm replacement at 90,000 on the bills just kept a comin.

Funny how you ask for advice on only 3 specific vehicles, yet people still talk about others. People, read what Captain Pierre said. "Chevy Tahoe(used 2010-2012), Ford Expedition(used2010-2012), Toyota 4Runner(new)."

Honda and Nissan were not on his short list!

Funny how you ask for advice on only 3 specific vehicles, yet people still talk about others. People, read what Captain Pierre said. "Chevy Tahoe(used 2010-2012), Ford Expedition(used2010-2012), Toyota 4Runner(new)."

Honda and Nissan were not on his short list!

Hey Cast-Away. Don't sweat it.

I'm looking for any advice by the Gang here to help make the best decision.

Lots of choices out there. Its pretty hard to really bang on any of them. Everyone will have different experiences with every brand and model. I have never had a problem with any cheroke, liberty or wrangler butbothera have. 4runners, pilots, pathfinders, yukons etc... will all tow a 17 foot lund.

Figure out what features you want, your budget, and go and drive them. I would rec trying out a 4 door wrangler. Super tough and versatile, and will hold its value pretty well and should be easy to sell used. Try selling a used durango or yukon when the gas is over a buck 30. Jeeps always seem to be easy to sell.