Shell 91 0ctane

esoxansteel

Outboard mechanic told me last year....as I was forking over a wad of cash for carb repairs, never, ever put any gas in the boat's fuel tank that contains ethanal! He also has no faith in additives that are supposed to solve the ethal issues as they just soak up the moisture and over time if you don't run your tank dry and keep topping it up the water accumulates as it's still there, all absorbed by the conditioner/additive and you'll still end up with problems. My motor was proof of that.

He said to only use Shell premium. All the others are OK for your car since you drive it daily but a boat can sit for days or weeks at a time without being ran and the condensation build up creates havoc!

I ran the top Shell gas until I sold it this spring. You don't believe it! Go ahead and keep running the cheap crap in your boat and expect to pay the shop in the end! Pay a buck or so more per tank and you may prevent a washed out fishing trip and then have to pay more later.

Outboard mechanic told me last year....as I was forking over a wad of cash for carb repairs, never, ever put any gas in the boat's fuel tank that contains ethanal! He also has no faith in additives that are supposed to solve the ethal issues as they just soak up the moisture and over time if you don't run your tank dry and keep topping it up the water accumulates as it's still there, all absorbed by the conditioner/additive and you'll still end up with problems. My motor was proof of that.

He said to only use Shell premium. All the others are OK for your car since you drive it daily but a boat can sit for days or weeks at a time without being ran and the condensation build up creates havoc!

I ran the top Shell gas until I sold it this spring. You don't believe it! Go ahead and keep running the cheap crap in your boat and expect to pay the shop in the end! Pay a buck or so more per tank and you may prevent a washed out fishing trip and then have to pay more later.

15 years with the cheap gas..when can I expect the gas related problems your talking about, so I can prepare

15 years with the cheap gas..when can I expect the gas related problems your talking about, so I can prepare

15 years ago I ran the cheap stuff too. Don't worry, your time will come.

Preventative maintenance is always cheaper than repairs.

S.

Isn't it law that they have to post the ethanol levels in the gas at the pump ??? A few stations don't even have the percentage on them the last week or so since this thread started I have been looking at different stations and there seems to be more that are not posted than what are ??? What gives can we find a list of what stations have what lets post it so we all know ??? Same here I have 2 outboards and 2 sleds also snowblower and weed eater and a generator !!!! I end up throwing gas out cause I'm so paranoid about the crappy gas and I use seafoam in everything it pisses me off big time gas is just so crappy now it's not even real anymore !!!!!grrrr

Well Terry, I'll put it this way. The motor was a 2005, 25hp 2 stroke Johnson I bought brand new. I didn't use it daily or sometimes not even weekly. I ran the brand name Evinrude fuel conditioner/stabilizer (smells like crap!) in it always after I read several topics here in regards to ethanol and the trouble it causes with boat motors. I thought I was safe and doing the right thing, even the marina I bought it at told me this. After I started to have problems and couldn't get it into the shop where I purchased it at I ended up taking it to a :stretcher: repair shop in Ancaster. It cost me about $400 in the end last fall to get it straightened out . I sold it this spring due to other reasons.

Maybe you have been lucky :thumbsup_anim: with your outboard or manage to run it more frequently than I, but I learned my lesson the wallet hurting way. I have to say it wasn't much fun having motor trouble out in the middle of Hamilton Harbour but it could have been in a place much more remote or in bad weather.

Well Terry, I'll put it this way. The motor was a 2005, 25hp 2 stroke Johnson I bought brand new. I didn't use it daily or sometimes not even weekly. I ran the brand name Evinrude fuel conditioner/stabilizer (smells like crap!) in it always after I read several topics here in regards to ethanol and the trouble it causes with boat motors. I thought I was safe and doing the right thing, even the marina I bought it at told me this. After I started to have problems and couldn't get it into the shop where I purchased it at I ended up taking it to a :stretcher: repair shop in Ancaster. It cost me about $400 in the end last fall to get it straightened out . I sold it this spring due to other reasons.

Maybe you have been lucky :thumbsup_anim: with your outboard or manage to run it more frequently than I, but I learned my lesson the wallet hurting way. I have to say it wasn't much fun having motor trouble out in the middle of Hamilton Harbour but it could have been in a place much more remote or in bad weather.

do you have the same problem with your car

cars trucks atvs skidoos all use ethanol and like your outboard all are ethanol ready

do you have the same problem with your car

cars trucks atvs skidoos all use ethanol and like your outboard all are ethanol ready

maybe there ready for ethanol but the issue is when it sits, still seeing carbs with seized needle seats ect due to ethanol, fuel injection doesn't seem as affected though(guessing more stainless steel components), but i am still fixing a ton of boats and sleds with ethanol related issues, or anything that tends to sit for long periods of time, problem1 is corn alcohol is a solvent and will eat away at rubber, brass and other fuel components over time seen many a leaking omc carb bowl due to it then it absorbs water gets even more acidic and causes corrosion

Terry, read my first post again and see what the mec. said about a car and an outboard. Also what ecmilley said.

Hey, I'll admit I'm no expert or an experienced, trained, documented and licenced mechanic so why would you argue against a guy who runs a busy repair shop with 2 guys working for him? And my own motor and wallet was the evidence.

But then again I run into those who argue with me at least once a week in my own field. I guess there are people everywhere who'll argue that it's a rainy miserable day when the sun shines brightly and there isn't a cloud to be seen as far as the horizon reaches.

So why not pay a few cents more at the pump for your boat's gas? I hope for you and your passengers sake you don't get stuck with a failing motor out in the middle of a lake with a thunderstorm :w00t: coming at you. Well then at least if that should happen then I can say "I told ya so!" :rofl2:

Happy :Gonefishing: No harsh feelings, just my opinion learned from a personal experience and from others who have encountered the same issue.

he charged me almost nothing for all the extra visits and parts

the motor ran for long periods of time and never gave any indication it had one bad coil

the 6th time I had it to him it finally acted up while he was testing it..problem solved

If you read the stickers they actually say may contain up not just contains. Most of petro canadas regular has less than 3% etanol in it.

I'd like to hear more about the source of the info Jeff. I know the mandatory labels warn you how much ethanol 'might' be present. But I think you're talking about actual percentages, not possible percentages, right?

With respect to Petro Can's fuel, is it always <3% ethanol, or does it change seasonally/geographically? How can you tell what it is before pumping it? I have never seen a more difinitive sticker than the "May Contain Up To..." Is this something that you learned personally, as an insider, or something that I can determine when I'm at the pump, or from the interwebz?

If you read the stickers they actually say may contain up not just contains. Most of petro canadas regular has less than 3% etanol in it.

actually from the laws as i read them that total gasoline sales must contain 5% ethanol in ontario at least, so it;s usually the 87 grade that has the most corn gas in it to meet the 5% quota while higher grades can caontain less or none

I know this first hand as I work for a petrocanada marketer and have had several discussions with varying suncor reps and tech people. All these problems that people are having with ethanol in regular gas is because of water or they are getting crappy fuel. I have been using regular gas from our cardlocks in my 1994 20hp evinrude for the past 7 years and have not had a single issue.

I wouldn't mind finding a local station that's got regular without ethanol. I don't want to think about the $$$ to repair that Yamaha 115.

Corner of 89 and 50 in alliston . Highest ,

Only hightest in the sleds for me. My issue is with the plugging of jets in the carbs n corn gas.