Shell 91 0ctane

esoxansteel

Shell 91 octane, advertises as having NO ethanol, and is the only gas that i believe that carries that statement, so if you are worried about phase separation, and fuel additives, that is the fuel you might want to look into, ive ran the last 3 tanks with it, and have noticed a big differece in performance, fuel usage, and my 2-stroke runs definately quiter then it use to, when i used the mid-grade fuels, depending on the price, it can run an extra 2.00 to 3.00 per 30 litres.

Sorry but your inreased performance and reduced usage is just your perception. You will not benefit from using higher octane fuel than what the engine was engineered for in either instance. Higher octane just burns slower and could cause more carbon build up if anything.

That's all I run in my 2 strokes, and have been since ethanol was introduced. There are a few local gas stations in my area that have zero ethanol as well, and I run regular if I get it from those stations.

I don't notice any performance benifits from the higher octane, I just like the piece of mind that there is no ethanol. I still always run a few ounces of seafoam in every tank though. I think it helps with the carbon build up from the slower burning higher octane.

All that said, I run the shell V-power in my turbo subaru, and it increases my mileage about 100km per tank. If I'm putting premium fuel in it anyways, that's the best stuff in my experience. I've tried them all, and keep a detailed log of my mileage, and the V-power is miles ahead of everything out there. If it wasn't a high compression engine designed for higher octane fuel, I would just burn any old regular out there, but the car is engineered for premium fuel, and it does performe much better with the V-power.

S.

Edited by Sinker

Sorry but your inreased performance and reduced usage is just your perception. You will not benefit from using higher octane fuel than what the engine was engineered for in either instance. Higher octane just burns slower and could cause more carbon build up if anything.

Yes (if you were talking a true gas to gas comparison) and No... fuel with Ethanol in it doesn't put out as many BTU's as 100% gasoline does. Canadian Aero engines ran a bird on Alcohol for a few years around this area and it's rated 100HP engine, when put on the dyno, could only produce 91 HP on alcohol. It made 102hp on the same dyno run when using gasoline or 100LL. This same HP performance loss = a fuel consumption increase by running gasoline with 10% or more Ethanol mixed into it. Ethanol fuel simply can't put out the same amount of power without increasing fuel consumption and even then I doubt you're getting full HP.

Edited by irishfield

If you could compare "regular" 100% gasoline to "regular" 10 to 15% ethanol mix gasoline, you would find that you get better fuel mileage on the straight gas! Premium doesn't even enter into the equation... until you buy Premium without ethanol and compare it to regular with the crap in it.

Edited by irishfield

If you could compare "regular" 100% gasoline to "regular" 10 to 15% ethanol mix gasoline, you would find that you get better fuel mileage on the straight gas! Premium doesn't even enter into the equation... until you buy Premium without ethanol and compare it to regular with the crap in it.

agree and have proven it time and again in my boat truck sled that 100% gasoline regardless of the octane will always get better fuel mileage and power :thumbsup_anim:

Yup- Marketplace got it right; engines that don't require the higher octane don't benefit from being fed higher octane.

I noticed Marketplace did not test a high-compression engine to see how it would do on low-octane Regular. I did hear them state pretty clearly that engines designed to run on Premium (higher octane) performed better and got better fuel range when they ran the proper fuel. So somebody gave them the right info.

I sure wish I could find a steady supply of both regular and premium without ethanol. I need the premium for 1 car (turbo, hi comp) and 2 sleds (2-stroke). I'd like the non-ethanol Regular for everything else, like the boat, mowers, trimmers etc.

I'm finding that most big marinas still offer ethanol-free regular gas but I don't like their fuel prices very much.

Modern high compression engines (whether high compression due natural aspiration or forced induction [turbo/supercharger]) come equipped with a knock sensor that will idiot ignition timing when they detect knock (pre-ignition) for whatever reason (such as running low octane fuel). This is a safeguard to prevent detonation in the engine.

The result? Poorer performance (and thus fuel economy) if you run regular in an engine designed to run on premium.

Running higher octance fuel in a non-modified engine than what is recommended is absolutely useless -- unless the engine is old and carbed up pretty badly.

Edited by Raf

Yup- Marketplace got it right; engines that don't require the higher octane don't benefit from being fed higher octane.

I noticed Marketplace did not test a high-compression engine to see how it would do on low-octane Regular. I did hear them state pretty clearly that engines designed to run on Premium (higher octane) performed better and got better fuel range when they ran the proper fuel. So somebody gave them the right info.

I sure wish I could find a steady supply of both regular and premium without ethanol. I need the premium for 1 car (turbo, hi comp) and 2 sleds (2-stroke). I'd like the non-ethanol Regular for everything else, like the boat, mowers, trimmers etc.

I'm finding that most big marinas still offer ethanol-free regular gas but I don't like their fuel prices very much.

birch point is the only marina i've found on sturgeon with premium fuel in the winter time should only be a 10 minute run up the lake for ya

One of the joys of living in the Arctic is not having to worry about ethanol issues.

They do not use ethanol in any of the fuels used in Nunavut, The NWT, Yukon or Alaska due to the moisture issues associated with corn juice.

I run regular 87 octane Shell unleaded fuel in everything I own that has a gas motor.

No problems what so ever. :D

The gas station in Millbrook in ethanol free, as well as the XTR in pontypool. Lucky for me, I live half way between both of them, and that's where I get my regular, ethanol free gas.

Any other time, its V-power.

I also watched the market place episode on high test gas. It was a little biased if you ask me.

All I know is I have NEVER had a fuel issue with any engine I own, and I get way better mileage running Vpower in my turbo engine. I don't care what market place, or anyone else for that matter has to say about it.

S.

The gas station in Millbrook in ethanol free, as well as the XTR in pontypool. Lucky for me, I live half way between both of them, and that's where I get my regular, ethanol free gas.

Any other time, its V-power.

I also watched the market place episode on high test gas. It was a little biased if you ask me.

All I know is I have NEVER had a fuel issue with any engine I own, and I get way better mileage running Vpower in my turbo engine. I don't care what market place, or anyone else for that matter has to say about it.

S.

I'm down and up 35 every day so Pontypool is handy for me - thanks for that tip Sinker.

Have to strongly disagree with this statement. My boat goes 3mph faster using high octane under normal load. Last year was fishing erie with a friend and we limited on bows and eyes and we had reg gas in one tank and high octane in the other tank. The regular gas we could only get the boat to go 12mph while we went twice the speed when we switched to the high octane.

Have to strongly disagree with this statement. My boat goes 3mph faster using high octane under normal load. Last year was fishing erie with a friend and we limited on bows and eyes and we had reg gas in one tank and high octane in the other tank. The regular gas we could only get the boat to go 12mph while we went twice the speed when we switched to the high octane.

I'd say the tank, or line from the regular tank is plugged or something. You may have even had water in the regular with ethanol, and none in the premium tank. There's no way your getting that much improvement just by using premium fuel.

S.

I'd say the tank, or line from the regular tank is plugged or something. You may have even had water in the regular with ethanol, and none in the premium tank. There's no way your getting that much improvement just by using premium fuel.

S.

Yeah, if that were the case my boat would do 75 MPH on premium!!!! :lol: