NF Mattress help

chris.brock

I trust everyone's opinion on here. Sorry, this isn't fishing related in the least.

I'm going to war again with Serta to get a replaced mattress replaced again. It's going to be a tough, long, annoying battle again (the first warranty claim was a nightmare).

Like I said, I value everyones insight on OFC, there's a good chance I'll be looking for a new mattress pretty soon (could be tomorrow, my back's crying). I'm looking for peoples input on good or bad mattresses they've bought recently. These Sertas are good for a year or so, then they form trenches on each side of the bed. I've done alot of online research, and it's common for these Sertas. I can't seem to find a company that makes mattresses that get consistently good reviews.

With the racked up cracked up back I have, I got myself a Tempur-Pedic about 5 years ago. They take a bit of getting used to, once you get in you don't want to get out, they mold around you. Pillows made from the same stuff, no beating it up or anything like that. There are various models, some cheaper than others, I got mine from sleep country.

We got the "bowling ball" mattress via Sears about 4 years back for up at the lake. I went with firm thinking the thing would "wear in". Leah still gives me crap for that... it's still like sleeping on a board and wonderful that you never feel a thing with your "neighbour" having a restless night. We should have gone with the plush vs firm and that would make it the perfect play sleep surface.

We have a Sealy Posturpedic Crown Jewel here at home.. over 2G's and a piece of crap!

Edited by irishfield

The do not disturb type are the cat's bottom. Worth every penny. The only problem is they ruin you for every other type of mattress.

About third of your life is spent sleeping, save money somewhere else.

Edit to add:

As above though expensive does not always equal better or a good match.

Edited by kickingfrog

The problem with almost all mattresses is the groove they develop. The only way to slow the process is to be turning your mattress every 1-2 weeks.

Have lived with congenital spinal problems most of my life, I have yet to find the right mattress. I've had several recommended to me by MD's and Chiro's over the decades. None of these 10 and 20 year warranties are worth the paper they are written on, regardless of brand. The mattress I have now is starting to wear after 3 years with rotating the mattress on a regular basis. Bought it through a contact in the hotel industry, and paid $400. Certainly was cheaper, and lasted longer, than the last bed, a Sealy.

Edited by bigugli

Dont know if this helps you or not close to 10 years ago we bought what i consider one of the best investments we have ever made. went to a place called Royal matress Manufacturing I believe it was on columbus road in etobikoke/toronto.

Anyway it was made the way we wanted it its a double pillow i kid you not its 2 feet plus thick kingsize and i religiously turn and flip it. it has not given up one inch and i have not had a sore back as long as we have had it shoulder as well for that matter it was 1700 cash out the door may seem pricey but you get what you pay for.

You have to be anal about flipping and turning and a good quality matress pad is a must.

If comes the time i need another i will be going back to the same place

i can tell you that this matress takes an extreme beating

You wont be disapointed

JM2C

Peter

Dont know if this helps you or not close to 10 years ago we bought what i consider one of the best investments we have ever made. went to a place called Royal matress Manufacturing I believe it was on columbus road in etobikoke/toronto.

Anyway it was made the way we wanted it its a double pillow i kid you not its 2 feet plus thick kingsize and i religiously turn and flip it. it has not given up one inch and i have not had a sore back as long as we have had it shoulder as well for that matter it was 1700 cash out the door may seem pricey but you get what you pay for.

You have to be anal about flipping and turning and a good quality matress pad is a must.

If comes the time i need another i will be going back to the same place

i can tell you that this matress takes an extreme beating

You wont be disapointed

JM2C

Peter

I don't think you or I will be going to Royal Matt., I found this while following up on your advice, thanks though

This was one of the largest Canadian made manufacturing mattress factories and retail outlet.

Royal Mattress is no longer in business due to the economy; however the domain name received at one time over 35, 000 unique visits a month. This domain is now available for purchase or lease

I have an 8" foam mattress (I think it's a Sears O'Pedic )

Have had it since 1995 and it has no groove so far.

Mind you my bed is a platform bed and I have no box spring just a solid foam matress on a plywood base.

I think a lot of the issues is with matresses and box spring, springs sagging over time.

I do have grooving issues on my couches though!!! :lol:

May have to slap some plywood in there!!!!! :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

Getting good information on mattresses is impossible. Every store has their own line so you can't even compare within the same manufacturer. The lines change constantly as well.

My understanding is that the pillow tops are prone to getting "sunk in" over time. I didn't buy one for that reason. Is yours a pillow top?