Hunting carelessness leads to tragedy

HTHM

From the Hamilton Spectator:

Veteran outdoorsman Peter Kosid has been killed in a hunting accident on the Six Nations Reserve.

Six Nations police found the 28-year-old in a field east of 2907 Third Line Road around 8 a.m. Sunday.

Sabina Marrone said her fiancé was hunting on the property of a family friend when he was shot in the back.

Police said another deer hunter fired into the trees from the road, hitting a male bow hunter about 375 metres away.

The investigation continues with the help of OPP forensic experts.

Six Nations Const. Derrick Anderson said the shooting death happened on the reserve, but added police are still investigating whether the men were hunting legally.

He wouldn’t reveal what kind of gun killed Kosid because the information is part of the investigation.

Marrone said her fiancé regularly used a traditional bow to hunt deer on the Six Nations property with permission from the owner.

An emotional Marrone said she is still struggling to understand how the “senseless tragedy” happened.

“I hope everyone learns from this … line up your shot, see what you’re shooting at,” said Marrone, who has an eight-month-old son with Kosid and was planning their wedding for next year. “One careless shot and my husband is taken away from me.”

[email protected]

Apparently the shooter is facing charges of criminal negligence.

Very sad, and 100% avoidable. He was shot in the back while standing out in the open. ( shot from the rd at 375 meters away...)An Oshwegan man has been charged with criminal negligence causing death. Doesnt sound like an accident to me. And it definately wasnt a shotgun from that distance...

When is the government gonna realize that some things need to change? Tax paying/law abiding citizens shouldnt have to suffer because of the "rights and special privelidges of others"... Makes me sick!

Edited by Bladeburner

Criminal negligence causing death? Sorry, sounds like Murder II to me.

Anyone who is willing to pull the trigger because they "think" they saw/heard a deer is a liability to society.

This should remind anyone who fishes in areas where hunters may be present (many of us river anglers) that we need to wear bright colours, preferably orange. You never know when the next idiot might mistake you for a deer.

Must be Stan Jonathon?? So weird. 375 meters for rifled 12 gauge is not out of the question. I think it would be roughly 10 feet of bullet drop for a 3" remington accutip at 400 yards.... at least according to my chart. A rifle shot is much more likely.

Edited by jedimaster

Must be Stan Jonathon?? So weird. 375 meters for rifled 12 gauge is not out of the question. I think it would be roughly 10 feet of bullet drop for a 3" remington accutip at 400 yards.... at least according to my chart. A rifle shot is much more likely.

It was Stan ... Do not want to stir up stuff , but the dude has problems well documented over the years , now some poor guy is dead !!!

This was on CHCH the other night, very tragic and didn't sound like an 'accident' from what I gather. They showed the field he was in and it's wide open and would be no mistaking him, imo, for anything that would be in season. Negligence ? I'd like to hear that rationale...

Hope they can figure out the why and deal with it one way or another. Two children are now fatherless.

This was on CHCH the other night, very tragic and didn't sound like an 'accident' from what I gather. They showed the field he was in and it's wide open and would be no mistaking him, imo, for anything that would be in season. Negligence ? I'd like to hear that rationale...

Hope they can figure out the why and deal with it one way or another. Two children are now fatherless.

At the risk of getting in trouble on this site I will only say , AND i HAVE NO PROof ' GUNS AND ALCOHOL DO NOT MIX " BE CAREFULL OUT THERE GUYS YOU DO NOT KNOW WHO IS HUNTING BESIDE YOU , ALLWAYS WEAR BRIGHT ORANGE AND HOPE THE PEOPLE WHO ARE IN THE FOREST WITH YOU KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING .. when your dead your dead ... You can say sorry but dude is dead..and his family iswithout him .. sad sad sad ...

That is sad. I just checked and it is still the same regs as when I bow and shotgun/muzzleloader hunted deer in the controlled areas. The Archery season closes during the shotgun/muzzleloader hunt and reopens when it is over. Something else is amiss here if they were both out at the same time.

That is sad. I just checked and it is still the same regs as when I bow and shotgun/muzzleloader hunted deer in the controlled areas. The Archery season closes during the shotgun/muzzleloader hunt and reopens when it is over. Something else is amiss here if they were both out at the same time.

Do those regs pertain to Six Nations?

Shotgun season ended sat night Bow opened again sun at dawn..I seriously doubt it was a shotgun at that range . Not to sure about Native status and hunting regs..I would imagine they can hunt any time. However I don't suspect they can hunt from roads with high powered rifles in densely populated areas.. Perhaps it was an accident but he broke many laws in doing so..Sure sucks for the family of the young man Killed.

Shotgun season ended sat night Bow opened again sun at dawn..I seriously doubt it was a shotgun at that range . Not to sure about Native status and hunting regs..I would imagine they can hunt any time. However I don't suspect they can hunt from roads with high powered rifles in densely populated areas.. Perhaps it was an accident but he broke many laws in doing so..Sure sucks for the family of the young man Killed.

Actually the controlled shotgun season runs for a full week.

87E

Nov. 5 to Nov. 11 343 SG, ML only

Dec. 3 to Dec. 9 344 SG, ML only

Bow season doesnt open til the monday morning

80, 85A, 85B, 85C, 87B, 87C, 87D, 87E, 89A,89B, 90A, 90B, 93A, 93B

Oct. 1 to Nov. 4

Nov. 12 to Dec. 2

Dec. 10 to Dec. 31

therefore in WMU's where there is no sunday gun hunting (like 87E where i hunt) there would be NO Hunting at all on sunday november 11th, gun or bow.

sad tradgedy none the less. Im not sure I feel safe all the time where there are regulations.....let alone where there arent