the chaos of bronte creek

tomkat

I thought I would get back into river fishing after a long layoff and I quickly remembered what ruins it for me. The stench of rotting chinooks, idiots with no manners,garbage along the river banks and general chaos. Just because you have an islander float reel and a loomis rod doesn't mean you have any common sense. Although I live very close to the river and it would be convenient to zip over for a few hours the high concentration of idiots in a small area is remarkable. The more I think about stocking chinooks the more I think the resources could be put to better use maybe more trout stocking? I just don't get it. Would it be so difficult for all those pigs to take all their garbage back out of the river with them? COME ON !

No no no its never the guys with float reels, you see they are untouchable group of people who are incapable of doing wrong. They also have larger genitalia and are multimillionaire professionals. You should bow down and bask in their presence.

Pin, spin, fly,......float, bottom bounce, swing......eggs, spoons, streamers. Theres inconsiderate slobs, amidst friendly humble and moral fisherman everywhere ya go. The rod they carry has nothing to do with what group above they fit into.

Enough with the stereotypes

Trout fishing has been very slow this fall at Bronte. Wonder where all the guys that claim we are having a trout renaissance here in the western GTA are when the fish are this scarce. :whistling:

It's always been a zoo at Bronte, and it is definitely not just pinners. Lots of strait netting going on this year. Trespassing/ Check, Litter, especially Timmy cups, roe bag material, empties and dead line/Check. Same as 25 years ago.

I wonder how many loogans would show up if A)you had to display your fishing license on the outside of your clothing where everyone could see it and on the back was a space to list your catch species and date of harvest to account for a YEARLY allotment of trout and salmon B)possession of and fishing with roe was illegal on the river. In my opinion, VERY FEW and the ones that tried their shenanigans would get busted almost immediately.

Unfortunately Ontario has always had an extremely permissive approach to trout and salmon exploitation and this has become the base education for almost all pelagic anglers here, me included. In Ontario it's almost a right, in the mind of most trout anglers, to use roe, to keep multiple fish every outing and ultimately turn what should be a sport into a trip to a free grocery store. Clearly changing the "whatever it takes" attitude is a tough row to hoe in Ontario so until attitudes change we get roe stripping/fish gutting, privately run catch and kill derbies and almost zero enforcement of any sort of rules. The roe issue has even given the Birkestock set at the MNR license to ignore federal law because if the anglers don't care why would they care.

I fished Bronte for the first and last time last week. It was a surreal experience: dead fish all over the place, litter (who knew that salmon fisherman were so fond of extreme energy drinks), folks with full float fishing set-ups dunking their bait into the same tiny eddy over and over and over, groups of 3-4 folks noisily wading up the tails of pools that other folks were trying to fish. Definitely not my cup of tea.

I fished Bronte for the first and last time last week. It was a surreal experience: dead fish all over the place, litter (who knew that salmon fisherman were so fond of extreme energy drinks), folks with full float fishing set-ups dunking their bait into the same tiny eddy over and over and over, groups of 3-4 folks noisily wading up the tails of pools that other folks were trying to fish. Definitely not my cup of tea.

Even Bronte makes the east ditches look good.

Even Bronte makes the east ditches look good.

Wrong Bill - Bronte is by FAR the worst of the ditches.

This same crap happens everywhere though, at least out East the bows get released. Up North it seems like 3 or 4 killed for every 1 released.