Opinions on a couple cameras. NF

ckrb2007

I'm looking to purchase a couple new or good used cameras in the next month. I would like one for fishing, atv'ing and other activities where water, mud and roughness will be present. I'm thinking of the Fujifilm FinePix XP50 for this.

The other camera I'm looking for would be for family outtings, trips, wildlife...etc. For this I'm thinking of something like the CANON REBEL T3 or NIKON D3100. Now, I've never owned a dslr camera.....always a point and shoot for me so I'm just looking for something to start out with.

I was wondering, from the camera guys out there, if my choices are "ok" for what I'm looking to do.

Thanks all,

Colin

I got Go Pro Hero for the first, and Canon Rebel T3 for the second, and I am quite content with both, especially my Canon. But I am told that there are better options than the Go Pro.

I was thinking about the Go Pro but I also want to let my son use it as well if he goes on school trips or whatever. Maybe a 3rd camera should be in the mix!! :)

My recommendation:

Get a small point and shoot for your pocket when fishing, travelling or anytime you might need a photo.

Then get an SLR with a practical zoom lens like 18-105 when you want an excellent photograph and you don't mind schlepping a large camera around.

There is no doubt that an SLR, even on auto, will give you better shots.

I have a Canon Powershot. Small, take it anywhere. Takes way better shots and video than a phone.

I also have the Nikon D5100. 18-105mm lens. Takes amazing photos and HD video. Too bulky to take everywhere.

Henry's is a great place to buy. They price match any Canadian on-line prices.

Hope that helps

I use the XP for a work camera. They are supposed to be shock and water proof. I've never tested that theory. I had some issues with it yesterday. While taking pictures it had full battery, then I took an HD video, that the dead battery light started flashing. I would suggest a back up battery if you get the XP.

As for the DSLR.. I use a Sony, but would not recommend it. It's a good camera, but the lenses are hard to find for it.

I've got a Panasonic Lumix TS3 for my rugged/waterproof P&S works great.

As far as the T3 is concerned, I'd look at the T2i instead.. Better bang for the buck.

X2 on the Lumix TS3. Depending on your budget, there are some good deals on the T3i out there since the T4i was release a couple of months ago.

I have a Canon Powershot D20 I got free from Air Miles. Can't beat the price!

I am happy with it so far, if for no other reason than my wife has not been able to break it yet! (note the word yet!!!)

It's good to 30ft of water and is shock resistant to 5ft and freeze proof to -10C.

We'll see how it does this winter ice fishing.

HH

I won't wade in on the DSLR choices. There are many and they are all good. Personally, I like Nikon, but there are many to choose from and none will make you unhappy. Just set your budget and go from there.

For the outdoor point & shoot, there's one clear winner. Panasonic Lumix TS4.

The Panasonic Lumix TS line has been getting the best reviews for a while now. I have had a number of the Olympus Stylus Tough cameras, and they were very good. The Lumix TS4 is far better. It has better water depth rating and drop rating, is very "smart" and takes far better pictures than you'd ever expect from a point & shoot camera. It's battery goes for days and days of shooting.

It does some cool tricks too. Like handheld night shots and panoramas. The camera shoots a burst of many shots, and then electronically compares and averages them and rebuilds them into the best possible image. Pretty amazing.

7D is a nice camera.. My next upgrade will be FF.

The new Canon 6D could be a good FF option! What's best is that it will likely pave the way for much cheaper FF cameras to make it into the hands of amateurs, instead of them only being reachable (and justifiable) by pros. That effect (additional models) will likely take a couple of years though.

Back to the original question...I would definitely second the Panasonic TS line. I have a TS2 from a few years ago and it works great. New TS cameras offer even more functionality for a fairly decent price. Leica lens is a real bonus too!

Hope that helps!

I am partial to Canon, and have the Powershot SX10IS for fishing pics etc., then the T2i with one of those big white lenses for other pics, and for underwater shots I have the Fujifilm XP Water/Shock/dust/Freeze proof, but don't use it that much (I always forget).

I'd like to get the Canon 60D and put the big lens on that and then use the T2i with a smaller lens for fishing pics. I'm waiting until I have enough airmiles for that (c'mon Paul, drink faster) :whistling::D

I have been useing Pentax cameras since back in the late 80s. My original se1000 still worls like new. I use it occasionally for b&w...I own a Pentax DSLR and love it.

Try looking outside the box. Canon makes fine cameras, but there are so many others as good or better.

Edited by mercman

I would HIGHLY recommend having at least 1 GoPro with you at all times. They take amazing HD footage.

Carrying a nice DSLR also is worth it's weight, especially when you land a trophy and want some high quality shots.

I always carry my GoPro's and my Canon Rebel XT (DSLR) with me when fishing. Nothing beats having the video footage of you catching the fish, and having the high-quality DSLR shots as well.

It's all personal preference though....

FF is nice but I want the reach that the crop cameras give you. ;)

Now if I could only afford a bunch of them big white lens'. ;)

I love my crop but for in your face fish pictures even a nifty fifty is too long. So it's good and bad. The one lens I usually keep on my 60D while on the river is a EF-S 10-22mm. On the long end with the crop it's 35mm, which is a great focal length for fish shots/portraits at the same time I can score some killer landscape shots with it.. On the other side of the coin it turns my Canon EF 70-200 f4 L into a 320mm on the long end! Love it!

My next lenses are EF 24-70 f2.8 and a EF 100-400. L glass is expensive, but well worth it. Treat it as an investment.. They also retain their value extremely well.

I'm a Canon guy myself and have owned 5-6 over the years. I'm currently using a 7D and love it, but you cant go wrong with the Rebel, its smaller, lighter and has all the features the average camera guy is gonna need at a much lower price.

If you are familiar with the canon layout, stick with all Canons IMO, you be more comfortable with menus instead of having to lean new ones. the Elph series are amazing if you want a small point and shoot with lots of features. Switching back and forth between.

There are lots of underwater options with Canon too (some need extra cases of course) and most have nice big view screens if your eyes aren't too sharp :)

• 4 weeks later...