New Tire Syndrome

Rod Caster

Well today's plans were completely altered. What was supposed to be a rainbow trout-fest quickly turned into a mud slinging, shovel breaking, rock hauling, boot pulling, tire spinning, off-road recovery calling mishap....with a happy ending.

A friend and I drove my truck into what is normally a 4-wheeler trail leading to a small rainbow lake. I bought new meaty tires a couple weeks ago, so my off-road confidence was running high...too high. As we approached the final 50 feet, in an area which would have been a perfect place to unload gear, I decide (foolishly) to continue towards to lake; I mean who the hell wants to walk 50 feet, right? I drove right into muskeg and was screwed the moment I chose to turn around instead of backing out.

4 hours of trying every single option we could think of and I broke down and called the local off-road recovery, Bartlett's Towing. The driver executed the recovery with ease and did not damage my truck.

Now I know how far off road my truck can go whistling.gif

We decided to follow a couple trails and my friend took out 5 partridge, so the day ended on a high notethumbsup_anim.gif

I'm going to sleep well tonight.

IMG-20121027-00831.jpg

IMG-20121027-00827.jpg

IMG-20121027-00829.jpg

IMG-20121027-00831.jpg

IMG-20121027-00833.jpg

IMG-20121027-00834.jpg

IMG-20121027-00837.jpg

IMG-20121027-00838.jpg

IMG-20121027-00840.jpg

IMG-20121027-00842.jpg

<looks at rescue vehicle>

Shoulda bought a Jeep. ;)

JK, that sure looks stuck. Been there, not fun, even in a Jeep. :whistling:

Does the mazda have locking diff(s)?

Edited by Raf

With the camping gear in the back of the truck and the canoe on top, nothing to worry about Chad :whistling::w00t: Man.... WHAT WERE YOU THINKING :o:lol: Looks like you sank pretty deep the minute you got greedy :whistling::lol:

At least you guys got birds for your troubles :thumbsup_anim:

A winch is exactly what I need. I'll probably get one that installs in my hitch recepticle. Also, some "grip tracks" would have helped tremendously. Also, need two new shovels and they both broke on us.

The mazda does not have a locking diff. I might look into adding that as a mod. The biggest pisser is the traction control in 4x4. Why the heck would anyone want to lose power to a wheel in 4x4??

Rick, we did not launch the canoe, as it was nearly 2pm by the time we were freed up, and I was completely bushed. It was much easier to just drive trails and look for birds.

Edited by Rod Caster

Well, at least you didn't lock yer keys inna trunk - AGAIN!

Might be time for you to buy a helicopter - and hire a PILOT! :whistling:

Michael

Funny you say that. During our lunch break we looked at the lake and said "we need a plane". At least when I lock my keys in the truck I can just use part of a fish stringer and break in.

I was remembering how teh auto club were gonna send the tow truck from about 2 hrs away when that happened to you here - comparativley they would have sent a unit from toronto to yank you outta there! (no jeep either!)

Michael

oh yah! I forgot about that time. whistling.gif I swear it's no more than once per year

oh yah! I forgot about that time. whistling.gif I swear it's no more than once per year

Once a year what? That you remember? Certainly not the frequency with which you ..... (fill in the blank!) (bet you and the missus have a riot filling in the ......) :clapping:

Michael

Edited by cheaptackle

There are very few situations that a Hi-Lift jack, some blood, sweat and tears can't get you out of.

http://www.hi-lift.com/

One of the easiest ways to un-stick yourself is jacking the truck up by your receiver hitch as high as you can and pushing it sideways off the jack.

Plan B: A quality winch rated AT LEAST twice the weight of your truck

And if you are gonna use a jack in the mud, carry some wide boards to put under it to keep it from sinking too deep in the soft stuff.

I used to have a few pieces of plywood in the back of the truck, but junk piles up back there and I have to clean it out once in a while ... wish I had them yesterday. Those jacks they give you with the truck dislike everything except perfectly level/solid ground.

For the most part, I'm just gonna stay away from mud. I'll stick to small, dry trails as I initially planned.