Southern Ontario Success?

GreenCanada

I was just wondering if anyone has been having much success tagging deer in Southern Ontario?

My father has had a few close calls on some nice bucks, but they seem to always be just out of crossbow range. I'll be getting my license in the Spring, when cash reserves increase after finally being done my college-undergrad-graduate educational career. So in the meantime, I'm trying to help him improve his chances by either calling one in, or by providing an improved habitat in our forest.

What tips/tricks have you found that seem to work, or improve your chances?

Cheers

I was close enough to a deer this morning I coulda hit him with a stick.

Lucky for him I'm not a hunter :canadian:

Yep could have bagged a few myself this week.....they must have known they were safe.. :lol:

I haven't been out yet.

Hope to make it out for a bit Sunday morning.

I've been seeing lots of tracks. I and I have a doe tag. So hopefully the freezer gets filled this year.

My hunting properies have grown to over a 1000 acres now. So if I don't get anything this year, it's entirely my fault :whistling:

Edited by N.A.W

i hate using a stand

i like sneaking up on them and darting them or slugging them a good pair of compact binoculars a couple grunts wait a bit if you see nothing move. there are lots of them out there and if you are after them in a semi urban setting they are relativly sensitized to human antics

good luck

peter

I was close enough to a deer this morning I coulda hit him with a stick.

Lucky for him I'm not a hunter :canadian:

That's the story for most of us, eh! Anytime I head out early to go fishing I always tend to spook a few deer from where they had bedded down.

I haven't been out yet.

I've been seeing lots of tracks. I and I have a doe tag. So hopefully the freezer gets filled this year.

My hunting properies have grown to over a 1000 acres now. So if I don't get anything this year, it's entirely my fault :whistling:

My father can take either a buck or a doe in two wmu's (one in Caledon, the other up in Mono Township) and like yourself has a large amount of land (>1000) that he can hunt on. I'm really pulling for him because he missed out on filling the freezer last year and he (and myself to a lessor degree) has put in tons of effort to make it a successful season this year. Funny thing though, it often isn't about effort, but instead being at the right place at the right time.

i hate using a stand

i like sneaking up on them and darting them or slugging them a good pair of compact binoculars a couple grunts wait a bit if you see nothing move. there are lots of them out there and if you are after them in a semi urban setting they are relativly sensitized to human antics

good luck

peter

I can definitely see why you would prefer stalking. I like active hunts myself and the funny thing is that he was out a couple weeks back and was stalking a field edge. He rattled he antlers to hopefully call one out from the forest edge, but instead a big buck popped up 20 ft to his right and took off, out of the long grass. Sometimes, that's just the way it is!

:D

A buck snuck up on me on the river this morning...not sure who was hunting who, I nearly had a heart attack when I looked over my shoulder and he was 10 feet away...

Even though they aren't dangerous animals it still wakes you up when Bambi's dad gets that close without making a sound.

As Lew said, lucky for him I'm not a hunter.

I haven't been out yet.

N.A.W ...1000 acres CRAZY!... Congradulations!

I'd give my left arm to shoot on private land again.. but.. truth be told I really like duck hunting on the water more.

Good Luck on the hunt this year, hope ya bag one!

The family I've given permission to.. to hunt our property has had no issues tagging bucks this fall. Wife got an 8 pointer the first day of bow and there'll be more with at least 13 distinct bucks now caught on trail cams.

Maybe one day I will have permission to hunt the Irishfield Compound!! :whistling:

When I lived in Barrie, I also had 0 signed properties.

It is so much easier to get persmission when you live in the neighbourhood.

I knocked on a lot of doors. Was well prepared with maps of the properties printed, and permission forms waiting to be filled out.

It also helps when you can mention things like "I drive by here twice a day on my way to work", or "Hello, I'm Nick, your neighbour two doors down". Etc....

Since I moved in to the bush, I have only been denied hunting access three times. 1 already had an exclusive hunter on this property, and the other 2 are Anti hunting / Anti guns.

Lots os deer around. I have been out only twice and I have seen 9 so far, and one I could have hit with a stick also.... But it needed to be a bit bigger and my stick has a broadhead on it. I stand hunt and never have a problem being on deer, just need to find out where they are and their routes. I always fill the freezer :D

Lots os deer around. I have been out only twice and I have seen 9 so far, and one I could have hit with a stick also.... But it needed to be a bit bigger and my stick has a broadhead on it. I stand hunt and never have a problem being on deer, just need to find out where they are and their routes. I always fill the freezer :D

I'm not sure if this is like asking for a fisherman's honey hole, but what wmu do you typically frequent?

Oh and if asking about specific wmu's is a faux pax, please let me know. I'm relatively new to asking about hunting online.

Good Luck fellow hunters......and PLEASE remember tree stand safety....more guys fall out of trees each year then are shot...some die from this...others are severely injured....so SAFETY FIRST then aim small and miss small...and if you get some venison, share with Billy Bob... :thumbsup_anim:

Not really funny man, people get killed every year because of collisions with deer.

Your absolutely right Bill, it can get very nasty.

My daughter wasn't hurt at all when she hit & killed a deer 2 years ago doing about 40 MPH, but her car received $7000 damage.

It banged in the bumper, hood, both front fenders, cracked the windshield, dented the roof and then the trunk before landing on the road behind her.

Nope, nothing funny about it at all.

Cnv0543.jpg

Cnv0544.jpg

Your absolutely right Bill, it can get very nasty.

My daughter wasn't hurt at all when she hit & killed a deer 2 years ago doing about 40 MPH, but her car received $7000 damage.

It banged in the bumper, hood, both front fenders, cracked the windshield, dented the roof and then the trunk before landing on the road behind her.

Nope, nothing funny about it at all.

Cnv0543.jpg

Cnv0544.jpg

Yikes. Glad she was ok, sorry again if I offended.