Now the time to buy a Chevy VOLT

Billy Bob

If you want mileage, reliability and longevity go buy a TDI. Nothing comes close.

Bang on!!! And cleaner burning than they've ever been. The rest of the modernized world has been driving Diesels for the last 50yrs!!! GM Volt??? Just another reason we should have let them go teats up along with Chrysler. Shame we'll never see the money that was thrown down those money pits.

Bang on!!! And cleaner burning than they've ever been. The rest of the modernized world has been driving Diesels for the last 50yrs!!! GM Volt??? Just another reason we should have let them go teats up along with Chrysler. Shame we'll never see the money that was thrown down those money pits.

The US and Canada aquired shares in GM and Chrysler during the bail-out, share prices were low at the time, both countries have since sold most of their stake in the companies at very healthy profits, I know gov'ts typically screw up doing things like this, but this time they made plenty of money, you're wrong

It's not just the engine you're paying extra for, the TDI's always have a premium package attached to them as well. Well worth it if you ask me. Figure diesel is about 10cents per litre cheaper then gas as of now, also add in the mileage comparisons and it doesn't take long to save 5k over the long haul.

I did the math (when I was shopping for a car for my wife), diesel fluctuates like gas, but using historical prices, it would take about 10 years to recoup the $5000

this might start abit of a debate, but pay attention what cars are broken down on the side of the hiway, what cars have 1 headlight or tail-light, etc, VW's are poor cars, I've had 2 myself too (non- turbo diesels)so this isn't just off the cuff

I've never spent more than 13 grand on a vehicle. Who buys this new technology anyways? My tow truck/bush truck is a rusted out 96 Ford F-150 that I've owned since 99. Original exhaust and original front end. And it still drives like brand new. Oh. And it was a rolled over wreck when I bought it. My family car is a 06 Ford 500. Rear brakes and tie rod ends are the only maintenance on it so far. The company trucks that I drive are all Chevs and they are in the shop almost as much as they are on the road. I just don't get it. Am I the only one that has seen the light?

I did the math (when I was shopping for a car for my wife), diesel fluctuates like gas, but using historical prices, it would take about 10 years to recoup the $5000

this might start abit of a debate, but pay attention what cars are broken down on the side of the hiway, what cars have 1 headlight or tail-light, etc, VW's are poor cars, I've had 2 myself too (non- turbo diesels)so this isn't just off the cuff

Cars broken down on the highway? Come on man, if you're going to tell me VW's are poor cars, at least use some sort of facts. I've been driving these cars for the past 10-12 years (So does my family, we all own diesels). My last Jetta had over 600,000kms on it when I retired it, it also averaged 50-55MPG US.. My new(er) wagon currently has 330,000kms on it, barely broken in! Mike and I took my buddies TDI wagon up to Hearst when we flew into the Sutton. 3/4's of a tank one way.. We easily saved $100 on that trip alone in fuel. It might take you 10 years to recoup 5k if you're driving 20k a year, but I'm doing anywhere from 40-60k per year.. I see around 1100-1300kms per tank (55L's), nothing out there even comes close.

I also agree with Dan, most expensive car I've ever bought was my first Jetta (11k used with 45,000kms on it).. You'll never see me buying a new car.

Edited by BillM

I don't think I've ever spent more than 5500 :thumbsup_anim:

my current stable consists of a grand cherokee and a toyota tercel. the tercel I bought for 1250 and gets me 38mpg on a 100km round trip daily commute. I can buy a lotta tercels for the cost of a volt or even tdi jetta. let's see you workout the payback on that one not to mention the cheap cost of (liability only) insurance for an older vehicle vs newer one where you'd want (must if you finance/lease) to have full coverage.

buying new is for suckas.

Edited by Raf

VW is not a cheap car what so ever. They are built way better then any GM. As for the TDI. They are amazing. My sister owns a jetta TDI and my parents have a CRV. They do a trip to Quetico every year and the TDI doesn't cost in fuel nearly what the CRV does.

I on the other hand have a POS van that cost alot in gas and is ready to die lol. With only 260 000km and the trany replaced once at a 100 000km.

GM and Chrysler are garbage. Bunch of over paid usless people. I have friends and family tht work and worked at GM its a joke what they make for there jobs haha.

U'll always pay more for a diesel vehicle, both gas and diesel prices fluctuate, but diesel tends to stay a bit cheaper. Still priced high considering its a waste byproduct from processing oil to make other fuels. And u'll get better mileage from a diesel vehicle.

never mind the little cars,they also have amazing deals on 2012 trucks right now i just got a brand new 2012 chevy silverado,fully loaded 0.99% over 84 months,its insane....so ya now is the time to buy for sure,even the new chevy cruze is an amazing car and yes they are almost giving them away too

Couldnt agree more!

I got a brand new Sierra in Feb, and my wife just got a brand new cruze in August.

For both (brand new) vehicles... we're paying less than $500/mth. That's insane!

Cars broken down on the highway? Come on man, if you're going to tell me VW's are poor cars, at least use some sort of facts. I've been driving these cars for the past 10-12 years (So does my family, we all own diesels). My last Jetta had over 600,000kms on it when I retired it, it also averaged 50-55MPG US.. My new(er) wagon currently has 330,000kms on it, barely broken in! Mike and I took my buddies TDI wagon up to Hearst when we flew into the Sutton. 3/4's of a tank one way.. We easily saved $100 on that trip alone in fuel. It might take you 10 years to recoup 5k if you're driving 20k a year, but I'm doing anywhere from 40-60k per year.. I see around 1100-1300kms per tank (55L's), nothing out there even comes close.

I also agree with Dan, most expensive car I've ever bought was my first Jetta (11k used with 45,000kms on it).. You'll never see me buying a new car.

dude, I've driven in my brother's TDI Jetta 5 speed, up to Nakina quite a few times, summertime, hiway cruising all the way, 1300 km per tank?????

driving to work and where-ever in the GTA I see alot of cars on the road (waaaaay too many actually), I take note of what vehicle is broken down, hood-up, on the cell phone person, at the side of the road, no I don't have concrete stats, just an observation

the 10 years to recoup $5000 for the diesel was using 20 000km per year, yeah, drive more= recoup the initial $$$ quicker

was there much work needed to keep your 600k VW on the road? the front ends (CV joints, tie rods etc) on those things are pretty weak

dude, I've driven in my brother's TDI Jetta 5 speed, up to Nakina quite a few times, summertime, hiway cruising all the way, 1300 km per tank?????

driving to work and where-ever in the GTA I see alot of cars on the road (waaaaay too many actually), I take note of what vehicle is broken down, hood-up, on the cell phone person, at the side of the road, no I don't have concrete stats, just an observation

the 10 years to recoup $5000 for the diesel was using 20 000km per year, yeah, drive more= recoup the initial $$$ quicker

was there much work needed to keep your 600k VW on the road? the front ends (CV joints, tie rods etc) on those things are pretty weak

I did the front end once (LCA's with new ball joints, also a new steering rack and tierods), other then that 4 timing belt jobs, a few sets of pads/rotors (more on the rear) and that's about it, hell it still had the original clutch in it when I pulled it off the road and parted it out... Most reliable car I've ever owned. My best tank was 1428kms on 55L's.. That's a tad under 60MPG US..

I do all my own work, so I save quite a bit if I do have to do work on my car or truck.. A TB job will run you around $800 at the dealer, I do that same job for $250 in parts and 4-5hrs of my time.

Edited by BillM

I did the front end once (LCA's with new ball joints, also a new steering rack and tierods), other then that 4 timing belt jobs, a few sets of pads/rotors (more on the rear) and that's about it, hell it still had the original clutch in it when I pulled it off the road and parted it out... Most reliable car I've ever owned. My best tank was 1428kms on 55L's.. That's a tad under 60MPG US..

I do all my own work, so I save quite a bit if I do have to do work on my car or truck.. A TB job will run you around $800 at the dealer, I do that same job for $250 in parts and 4-5hrs of my time.

yeah, ok, I'll take your word for it

our best tank was 950 km, maybe my bro's TDI just a bit of a lemon

I did love the growl sound of my Rabbit diesel on a cold winter morning, 52 hp but it could pull 2 snowmobiles on a trailer up a Haliburton hill no problem

here's another fact you might think about, Canada buys $130 of German stuff (mainly VW's, BMW's and Mercedes) for every $1 Germans buy from Canada (lobsters and maple syrup?)

you've had good luck with VW, good for you, I love my Yamaha (foreign) sleds, ATVs and outboards

I'd still buy a Korean car before a VW, just MHO

liv2fish85...i will stick to my north american,canadian products. im glad your so positive on auto workers.my neighbor has a vw diesel. he doesnt smile anymore.his dealer does though.

Yea I drive a piece of crap Chrysler and I am supporting them constantly. Tranny change at a 100 000 km, u-joint and many other things. My parents in the other hand owned a CRV and they got 498 000 km and didn't do anything but oil and brakes.

I have nothing against the workers for GM, Ford or Chrysler but lets face it, they are mainly union companies whoch means that they do less and when they are pissed at something they don't care if somethings not right. They won't lose there job.

I worked for a union and have seen it first hand.

Yea I drive a piece of crap Chrysler and I am supporting them constantly. Tranny change at a 100 000 km, u-joint and many other things. My parents in the other hand owned a CRV and they got 498 000 km and didn't do anything but oil and brakes.

I have nothing against the workers for GM, Ford or Chrysler but lets face it, they are mainly union companies whoch means that they do less and when they are pissed at something they don't care if somethings not right. They won't lose there job.

I worked for a union and have seen it first hand.

the whole tranny was likely built and assembled in Mexico (no union), the U joint was likely a foreign part too, engineering, poor tolerances and cheap metals or lazy, fat, auto workers ?????

my buddy (auto worker) let me in to the Ford plant, I tried working on the line, there's a job a 45 year old female does, I'd welcome anyone to try for 10 hours steady and then complain about lazy autoworkers

the whole tranny was likely built and assembled in Mexico (no union), the U joint was likely a foreign part too, engineering, poor tolerances and cheap metals or lazy, fat, auto workers ?????

my buddy (auto worker) let me in to the Ford plant, I tried working on the line, there's a job a 45 year old female does, I'd welcome anyone to try for 10 hours steady and then complain about lazy autoworkers

I also have a friend that works for Ford and he will tell you how much of a joke his job is and lots of others there. He gets paid great but his job is nothing hard.

If the case is that my van parts were made in mexico then whats all the crap about supporting Canada and our companies when they are making stuff in mexico for next to nothing.

I would rather buy a toyota or honda knowing they are going to last longer with less problems.

It will also support Canadians as they will be in business longer then GM and the others North American made at this rate.

WOW.......this stupid thread is still going..... :rolleyes:

I posted it for those Liberal Tree huggers to feel good about themselves... :rofl2:

But the real reason Chevy introduced the VOLT was to decrease their overall Fleet Vehicle Mileage that is mandatory under our federal gas mileage laws that are becoming even harder to meet in the very near future....that's what the VOLT is all about...as they were losing money selling them from the get go.......BUT WAIT....most of that was FREE money from the tax payers.... :whistling:

But anyway's........I LOVE it when I see VOLTS and PIRUS's on the road....the more of them the better, as it reduces the overall demand on gasoline which in the LONG run reduces the cost per gallon for my truck... :)

a TDI VW costs about $5000 more here in Canada, than a gas model, do the math and see how long it takes to make up that $5k in fuel savings

I got one on order. Its about $2500 difference between a manual gas and manual diesel. I would imagine the diesel is a little more preppy than the 2.5L gas as well.

Not sure how valid the claim is but people have gotten 1600ish km on a tank from the new passat tdi. Speaking with the service manager (after my car was a done deal) he said one couple went to PEI and got 1700km on a tank.

I looked long and hard, any other car in its class is either more money or the same amount of money.

The 0% financing craze has people blinded. Look at the actual price of the car, they have inflated it to include 0% financing :wallbash:.

Edited by Fish4Eyes

WOW.......this stupid thread is still going..... :rolleyes:

I posted it for those Liberal Tree huggers to feel good about themselves... :rofl2:

But the real reason Chevy introduced the VOLT was to decrease their overall Fleet Vehicle Mileage that is mandatory under our federal gas mileage laws that are becoming even harder to meet in the very near future....that's what the VOLT is all about...as they were losing money selling them from the get go.......BUT WAIT....most of that was FREE money from the tax payers.... :whistling:

But anyway's........I LOVE it when I see VOLTS and PIRUS's on the road....the more of them the better, as it reduces the overall demand on gasoline which in the LONG run reduces the cost per gallon for my truck... :)

haha, that's exactly how I see it, lol. More gas for me when I'm grown and can actually afford nice cars (hopefully a porsche)! Other than that, I hate those little hybrids.