Walleye Weekend In Northwestern Quebec

solopaddler

This was a weekend of several firsts.

With my vacation time being eaten up in other ways this was the first time I've had my almost 2 year old German Shorthair up to our camp in QC.

It was also the first time I've fished with Doug (corvette1 on the board), although I've known him for a while now.

Finally amazingly enough it was the first time I truly used the new boat this year. It was purchased solely for use at the camp and I havn't had the chance to get up there until now.

My parents have been spending a ton of time up there this summer though, so it's been put to good use.

I pulled my young son Brendan out of school for a couple of days last week and Doug drove up from Lewiston to join us.

It truly was nice to get back up there. I didn't realize how much I've missed it...

CottageSept2012017_zps49b41a1a.jpg

In this pic you can see just how low the water level is. Normally it's up to the edge of the pump dock.

CottageSept2012013_zpscf266ce1.jpg

One nice surprise was the condition of the outhouse we installed a couple of summers ago. The old man took it upon himself to finish it in cedar and decorate it like Martha Stewart. He didn't tell me he did that so I was shocked when I opened the door.

CottageSept2012028_zpsf2edf17b.jpg

CottageSept2012027_zps4b2b139e.jpg

The dog was pretty good in the car on the long drive up but was absolutely freaked out in the boat. She wouldn't stop whining for a second.

Leading up to this short clip Brendan was bragging that he was the best fisherman in the boat. In the background is Zoey whining LOL!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/lU893uTcsog" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

She liked to stand up in the bow of the boat when we were underway.

CottageSept2012001_zpse32b3e13.jpg

'Till it got too windy for her then it was "Hey let me outta here!" LOL!

CottageSept2012003_zps38c4f394.jpg

CottageSept2012004_zps9ca38916.jpg

She absolutely loved running around the property though.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ky166HlHBC8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Fishing was pretty tough the first couple of days although weather really hampered our efforts.

I made the 10km run up to the top end of the lake twice and we worked our butts off for a handful of dink walleye. This is fairly normal for my lake in Sept, especially just before turnover it seems.

On the third day I figured I'd try the waters in front of the camp before doing anything else and it was game on. Using mostly finesse presentations such as a slow death rig with a small chunk of worm and a simple live bait rig with an air injected crawler we caught fish consistently all day.

We kept a bunch to bring home and the kid was pretty happy about that.

CottageSept2012019_zps17b43b1d.jpg

CottageSept2012020_zpsc675b9e0.jpg

The late afternoon was beautiful and we continued to catch fish, although mostly smaller ones.

CottageSept2012011_zps7da4a0fb.jpg

Finally working a 34' trench between two humps the kid caught a slighter better fish.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/wTvXnvfBMz8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

CottageSept2012036_zps29874d5a.jpg

So all in all it was a perfect long weekend getaway. Big thanks to Doug for the company and the truly amazing steaks on Friday night. You're a good man, a true gentleman and I'm glad to call you friend.

Cheers

No kidding. There's some really interesting back lakes nearby that have been just a bit beyond my reach. :)

One day we'll make it work... still have the coords and lake location from google earth in my flight bag. Maybe next summer... when Jen gets her latest hurdle behind her.

Great Report ! Looked like a Blast ! Family time at it's best :clapping:

In the picture where the 'lil guy is kneeling on the dock with the walleye splayed out ... to me , the far right fish looks like a Sauger , no white spots and a darker pattern...

Just me ?

Randy

:canadian:

Great Report ! Looked like a Blast ! Family time at it's best :clapping:

In the picture where the 'lil guy is kneeling on the dock with the walleye splayed out ... to me , the far right fish looks like a Sauger , no white spots and a darker pattern...

Just me ?

Randy

:canadian:

Good eye Randy! It's a sauger. My lake is loaded with them, we actually caught quite a few.

One season a few years back I was catching enormous ones with several over 4lb's and one over 5. Pretty sure I had a provincial record at the very least.

Never seen fish like that since...

Beautiful place! I have a feeling if you brought a rod and fished a puddle after a rainstorm you would catch something. Don't know how you always seem to do it ;)

Did you go up to shut it down for the winter? I am actually surprised a fishing nomad such as yourself even owns a cottage+boat.

Thanks again for the report!

Thanks guys!

Did you go up to shut it down for the winter? I am actually surprised a fishing nomad such as yourself even owns a cottage+boat.

Thanks again for the report!

We generally close it on thanksgiving weekend. If we had a ton of money invested in the place I couldn't possibly justify it, but I don't.

Other family members are using it and enjoying it, so even when I can't it's all good.

first let me thank you for the invite.i had a great time with you and brendan. your cottage is simply awesome and the dinners outstanding and zoey toss a stick and you have a new bud again thanks

We'll do it again for sure Doug.