World Record Muskie Caught In 1000 islands!

ttahhan

Dale never claimed this to be a record fish, everybody else did.

The man just caught a big fish, took a couple pics of it, along with some measurements, and put the big girl back in the water to swim another day.

Seems everytime somebody catches a huge musky the same tired old arguments start all over again.

When that fish was 1st caught the story and pictures were on every musky website. Some just congratulated the angler on a nice fish while others, including a few members from this site tore the guy apart. One of our members in particular basically called the man a liar because he didn't take pictures of the tape measure beside the fish as proof, even though the guy said he wasn't looking for a record.

Some guys are pretty pathetic actually.

Dale never claimed this to be a record fish, everybody else did.

The man just caught a big fish, took a couple pics of it, along with some measurements, and put the big girl back in the water to swim another day.

Seems everytime somebody catches a huge musky the same tired old arguments start all over again.

When that fish was 1st caught the story and pictures were on every musky website. Some just congratulated the angler on a nice fish while others, including a few members from this site tore the guy apart. One of our members in particular basically called the man a liar because he didn't take pictures of the tape measure beside the fish as proof, even though the guy said he wasn't looking for a record.

Some guys are pretty pathetic actually.

Starting with the president of the Freshwater Fishing Hall of Fame.

He does refer to it as being a record musky in the video himself. With musky you gotta be real careful when you say thee words. at 46 seconds in the video... "Thats when we knew we had a record muskie on"

Later the guys asks if its a record and he said "It depends on who you ask.." Impliying he believes its a record.

I don't feel bad for any flaq he takes, I mean if he is a Musky angler he knows what Record means. I mean seriously congrats and good for him, but he knows what the term "Record Musky" entails, just as every musky angler out there.

IGFA also has a catch and release record but you need to use one of there approved scales. To be honest its a good idea, its pretty easy to fake a measurement if need be.... eg folding the girth measurement tape behind the fish, using a modified ruler or whatever. Record means you need to follow the rules of that record keeper. Its just how it is.

I'd kill a WR muskie in a second and not feel bad about it..

You have a scale in your boat that goes to 70 lbs? Most guys dont.... Many large fish are killed each year because the angler thinks they have a record, only to realize that their 57 incher only weighs 50 lbs. Length and girth formulas dont mean a thing on those giants. If it was as Big as Dale claimed, it would be dead.... End of story.

For the record, the St Lawrence fish Dont get as heavy as Musky from the Bay for their size....

You have a scale in your boat that goes to 70 lbs? Most guys dont.... Many large fish are killed each year because the angler thinks they have a record, only to realize that their 57 incher only weighs 50 lbs. Length and girth formulas dont mean a thing on those giants. If it was as Big as Dale claimed, it would be dead.... End of story.

For the record, the St Lawrence fish Dont get as heavy as Musky from the Bay for their size....

What a ridiculous statement! So how the hell would you know? Seriously, do you know Dale? Were you there? Did you measure the fish? Sound like a clear cut case of envy to me!

I have a question for you. Have many 60"+ fish do you know of that have come from the Larry????????????

They don't get as big as Gbay, lol please!

What a joke

Actually I do, lol (Still waiting for that monster lake trout!)

How is it possible to weigh a LIVE musky accurately enough to determin ounces, while in a boat, in the water, with the thing ALIVE and all the while being able to release it without it dieing from the stress. I doubt it was actually weighed, no biggie in my eyes though, he didn't want to shoot for a record, so leave it at that. Be happy, its an awesome fish and a great looking replica mount.

It swims for another day, I don't think those big 12+year old musies even spawn anymore do they? Aren't they just eating machines at that point? Good on him for sticking to his guns and letting it go. I honestly can say that if I thought it was close to a record, I would have a real hard time letting her swim away. He did call it a record himself in the video though. So the flaq he is getting/got/will get is all on him. A photo of the measure goes a long way.

What a ridiculous statement! So how the hell would you know? Seriously, do you know Dale? Were you there? Did you measure the fish? Sound like a clear cut case of envy to me!

I have a question for you. Have many 60"+ fish do you know of that have come from the Larry????????????

They don't get as big as Gbay, lol please!

What a joke

touchy subjects for Matt, Leafs vs. Sens and Dale's Fish! :rolleyes:

touchy subjects for Matt, Leafs vs. Sens and Dale's Fish! :rolleyes:

Actually Dax, I just hate seeing a guy (no matter who it is) ripped for doing the right thing. A guy catches a really smokin fish, lets it go and then gets dragged over the coals by a bunch of jealous key board kings.

The only side I'm on is the side of fairness.

I'd even stick up for you Dax, if you were ever to catch a big Muskie ;):rofl2:B)

Awesome fish. absolutely incredible catch.

that was caught in 2008 I might add.

This guy does the unselfish thing and let it go. Spawner or not it is there for someone else to catch. The replica that he had made looks 100 times better and will last far longer than that fish ever would mounted.

Whether it was 60 inches or 59.5 inches, or whether it had a girth of 33 or 32.5 inches. Who the hell cares.

Anyone who has actually caught a large fish like that (which 99% of the people posting here HAVE NOT) knows that when you catch a hog like that, you are more concerned about getting the big girl back in the water quickly and healthy. You are also so PUMPED and the fish is usually struggling, it is VERY hard to get measurements at all.

Yet some people on this board can not just congratulate the guy for catching an amazing fish. They are not happy unless they rip the guy for not taking 20 different pics and getting 10 different measurements (to satisfy everyone else's curiosity), and end up killing this beast.

UNBELIEVABLE!

It is absolutely no wonder why many people don't post their catches here anymore. It's just not worth the aggravation.

Very sad.

I would agree but, imagine a guy that posts a picture of a fish he released of a Bass, and said on camera it was a record, then gets all miffed when he doesn't show it on a scale or with a tape measure. If he caught it, took a pic and said "wow check this pig I caught and released" People wouldn't have said anything bad. As soon as you utter record, you better have you ducks in a row.