When do you shut it down for the Winter?

jedimaster

Just wondering when everyone shuts down the fishing for the winter? For me its typically after the last Bass tournament and that will be in a couple weeks. Then its time to gear up for hunting... What about you guys? I'm sure the harcore musky and walleye guys are just starting to get there gear on...

Just wondering when everyone shuts down the fishing for the winter? For me its typically after the last Bass tournament and that will be in a couple weeks. Then its time to gear up for hunting... What about you guys? I'm sure the harcore musky and walleye guys are just starting to get there gear on...

You offend me sir! in a couple weeks it will be all free time dedicated to trout and salmon, then when they end it will be may next year! FISHERMEN NEVER STOP!

December 15 ish for Muskies and then the lower through the winter for Bows and Lakers......so never

No other place like it. If I only fished one spot for the rest of my fife it would be it.

Do you take the boat out or just hand out on the shore?

My boat usually stays at the dock until mid-November, sadly mostly unused it seems these last few years unless we get a late run of nice weather.

October and November will usually find me shore fishing from the dock most evenings for jumbo perch and the always hoped for, but rarely caught pickerel. Some decent catfish in the mix as well.

It's really the only productive time of year on my shoreline when the heavy weeds have finally died back.

Last year, I fished some windy and cold days through November and December looking for Muskies in the Kawarthas until they closed...and then later Walleye at Quinte.

Fishnsled and I attempted to go out on Christmas Eve...the day before this area had open water...this is what we saw...

P1000448.jpg

It's just starting for me. Too many bugs, boats and people in the summer.

No question it's a great time of year. The coffee in the boat tastes better on those cool mornings, the leaves will change colours soon, and it's quiet....

And the fish are hungry!

Like many others here, fishing is a year round sport for me.

There's usually a few weeks between hard and soft water season when I relax, clean my car, do some home renovations, etc...

I do fish a lot less in fall time during the hunting season. But it never really stops.

You offend me sir! in a couple weeks it will be all free time dedicated to trout and salmon, then when they end it will be may next year! FISHERMEN NEVER STOP!

No need to be offended. The OP has just put on the signal, changed gears and going down a different road. Still getting out and enjoying the great outdoors. B)

Last year, I fished some windy and cold days through November and December looking for Muskies in the Kawarthas until they closed...and then later Walleye at Quinte.

Fishnsled and I attempted to go out on Christmas Eve...the day before this area had open water...this is what we saw...

P1000448.jpg

That was the latest that I've ever tried to launch a boat. At least we tried and the breakfast was great at the little hole in the wall restaurant. :) Fishing never really stops for me as well. There is usually a break in December till the ice firms up and another at the end of March, early April till the ice is gone.

Shut down?

What's that?

I can't stand ice fishing, so once everything freezes tight I head south. Tennessee is only a 10 hour drive, and the best bass fishing of the year is in January and February. It's off season, so a decent motel is only about $49 a night. Smallies average 3 to 4 pounds, with the odd one over 6. It's a good jig bite. I've never tried drop-shotting them, but I would bet a Slammer would just crush big fish there. Maybe I'll give it a go this winter.

Or you can drive 9 hours south to Kentucky and fish open water for muskie and striped bass. It's awesome. Average for muskie fishing in January is 6 - 8 fish per day, mainly by casting Super Shad Raps. Or you can fish topwaters for the stripers. They love Zara Spooks, average about 15 pounds, and can peel line off your reel like a chinook. It beats standing on some frozen lake fishing for perch any day.

Or you can go to Florida for a couple of days of salt water action. Juvenile tarpon up to 30 pounds live under almost every dock, and are an absolute hoot on the same 9-weight fly rod I use for pike.

IMG_0634.jpg

IMG_0594.jpg

The ones in those two photos above are babies (10 - 12 pounds) .... this is right in downtown Miami, about a dozen steps from the hotel door. People feed them French fries. Florida is a long drive, but you can always find cheap flights out of Buffalo and just rent a car when you get there. It's a great, cheap way to enjoy some awesome winter fishing.

If you want to extend your steelhead season, go to BC. The flight is admittedly pricey, but it's off season so motels and everything else is super-cheap. You can fly to Victoria then rent a car and go fish the Island streams. It's a mind-blowing experience, and February is prime time.

There's no need to shut down fishing over the winter when there are so many amazing options.

Edited by Craig_Ritchie

Can't say I shutdown ever. I don't ice fish much but even in January and February I will get some of that in. Of course if the rivers are still open like last winter then its 12 months a year. Also since having kids I have learned to fish when I can, not necessarily when its ideal.

Shutdown?

Why the heck would I do that?

I use the boat until ice prevents me from launching and then I break out the ice fishing gear.

If I were to sgut it down I would go nuts as the open water season is shorter than the ice season here!!!

Besides I like catching big gators through the ice. :lol:

P1080011.jpg

P1080013.jpg

D2.jpg

Yellowknife-20111225-00019.jpg

Duck_1_9_2011_7.jpg

Duck_1_9_2011_4.jpg

Duck_2_20_1_2011.jpg

P1000448.jpg

Hey I recognize that boat...

And I don't mean Ice fishing, thats the seaons after hunting season. :)

OH, in that case mid to late October when the ramps freeze up.

Then the ice gear comes out @ the beginning of November. :D

+ hunting season runs from August through spring so the gun can come along on the fishing trips. :lol:

Edited by DRIFTER_016