"my legal right"

Rich

Thats ok Rick, we all spew the bull sometimesw00t.gif ......It makes life interesting.

thats true Paul, lol.

I'm not offended or anything, its not the first time I've been wrong, and I'm sure it won't be the last.

Learning is good, and so is the link provided! I'm thankful for that.

Also not mentioned is every resident in the house also has a possession limit.

A valid license is not required as it is quite legal to gift fish to those without a license.

Those with out a license have a possession limit equal to a sport fishing license but do not have a daily catch privileged.

Those under 18 or over 64 are considered holders of a sport fishing license.

Only one's not allowed a sport fishing license possession limit is those who hold a Conservation License.

Thanks, glad the minorities also know their rights.

And if your limit is 5 and you eat two for lunch you can't take 5 more home.

I couldn't resist. Is this a serious comment? Don't tell my some Governmental Imbecile thought this up all by him/her self. An angler catches a limit of fish and eats 2 for lunch. Am I to understand that said angler is not allowed to catch 2 more to fill his/her limit? The fish have been consumed therefore allowing an angler to fill the limit again. Basic math, no? Illogical to say the least, but nothing new.

Edited by moxie

I couldn't resist. Is this a serious comment? Don't tell my some Governmental Imbecile thought this up all by him/her self. An angler catches a limit of fish and eats 2 for lunch. Am I to understand that said angler is not allowed to catch 2 more to fill his/her limit? The fish have been consumed therefore allowing an angler to fill the limit again. Basic math, no? Illogical to say the least, but nothing new.

No....if you catch and keep your daily limit, you cannot catch anymore fish even though you eat 1 or 2 at midday. However, it would be hard for a conservation officer to be able to prove that you ate some fish during the day.

This is the thing I don't understand.

Why isn't it a conservation possession limit for non-licensed individuals?

Why should someone who paid for a conservation license be not allowed to receive as many "gift" fish as someone who did not pay!?!?

You got me there as I also can't figure out the rational.

Someone who actually contributes to the system is allowed less of a limit than someone who has not contributed. :wallbash:

A conservation possession limit on non license holders makes sense.

My guess is that by buying the cheaper license you are agreeing to a smaller catch & possession limit to save a few dollars. If you want to retain the larger possession limit by the sports fishing license.

No....if you catch and keep your daily limit, you cannot catch anymore fish even though you eat 1 or 2 at midday. However, it would be hard for a conservation officer to be able to prove that you ate some fish during the day.

I used that argument one time when discussing this with a buddy. His answer was right, but they could have been observing you, see you having a shore lunch and get you that way. Hey who knows? :dunno:

My feeling is that yes this is possible. But even more likely this would be the situation. They charge you, the case goes to court, it may get tossed out, it may not get tossed out, who knows? What I do know is that your reputation has been compromised, it has been published and the way media presents all cases the public automatically assumes guilt. Then to hurt you even more you just spent a ton of money on legal fees and made your lawyer happier as he spends your money on his next vacation.

Why bother trying to press your luck? It's just not worth it. Follow the rules and if you feel that bad luck is looking for you then keep the grocery store receipts for the sportfish you bought until you eat it. Not all that difficult to understand.

If there was any enforcement at all, people might not take the chance at keeping over limits. I could go out and fill my boat any day, and know I have about a 1% chance of getting checked on the water.

The chance of having a CO come to my house to check my freezer is so small, its not even worth talking about.

Why freeze them anyways? Just go catch enough for a meal every week and your good to go! I like mine fresh!!

S.

Why freeze them anyways? Just go catch enough for a meal every week and your good to go! I like mine fresh!!

S.

Indeed! If i plan to catch and keep fish, i plan to eat them that day. Sooooo much better fresh!

16. Subject to sections 19 to 21, no person who is fishing under a sport fishing licence or a conservation fishing licence shall catch and retain in any one day, or possess, fish of a species set out in column 2 of Part 1 of Schedule 3 from the waters set out in column 1,

• (a) in an amount that exceeds the sport fishing licence quota or of a size that does not comply with the size limit set out in column 3; or
  • (B) in an amount that exceeds the conservation fishing licence quota or of a size that does not comply with the size limit set out in column 4.

Provincial Possession Limits

17. Subject to section 18, no person shall possess more fish of a species set out in column 1 of Part 2 of Schedule 3 from the waters of all zones combined than the possession limit set out in column 2.

Catch and retain limit refers to the fish that you catch and don't immediately return to the water. If you catch and retain a fish - including eating it for a shore lunch, or giving to another person, that counts towards your catch and retain limit. If you are between the ages of 18 and 65, you require a fishing licence to catch and retain fish. The catch and retain limits are related to the fishery management zone (FMZ) you are fishing in.

So if the limit for walleye in FMZ 10 is 4 and an angler catches and retains four fish, and eats two for shore lunch, he cannot catch and retain two more, because he has filled his limit. The same angler could go out the next day and catch and retain 2 fish from that FMZ, to reach his possession limit of 4 from that FMZ. The catch and retain limit is daily, the possession limit applies to all fish from that FMZ regardless of when they were caught. So in the shore lunch example if the angler went out and caught 2 more fish, he would have caught and retained 6 fish that day, not to mention he would be in "possession" of six fish (including the two in his belly - but good luck proving that!)

The provincial possession limits refer to the number of fish any person can have. It applies to all fish regardless of where they are caught. For example, the provincial possession limit of walleye is 6. An angler could catch and retain a limit of 4 fish from FMZ, and catch and retain 2 fish from another FMZ, or accept 2 fish from a friend and still be in compliance with the law.

The fishing regs are somewhat complicated, but you need to understand them!

It has been done. I saw it posted here, even. MNR busted a few guys, and then pulled carcasses from the lake and charged them for each fish they went over. Like I said before, maybe you should have to take a course before getting a fishing license, since people don't seem to understand the regs.

If you eat fish once a week, OK. I eat fish at least 5 days a week, but usually 7. I don't tend to catch enough trout to fill my limit in a day, let alone fill my plate each day. So I buy.

Too many do this , sometimes I have to think twice , can or can I not being this fish home ?

Yes : I have fish in the freezer , usually around about a 4 person limit( Walleye, Pike , Trout and a few bags of Perch ) , we love fish , and yes , fresh is better , I agree 100%, there was a time when I used to be able to say" I'm going out to catch supper "... but... family matters = family matters.

The time isn't always there to catch and cook , they end up bagged and tagged in the freezer ..

Nothing wrong with that .

Edited by Randy from Sturgeon

This is the thing I don't understand.

Why isn't it a conservation possession limit for non-licensed individuals?

Why should someone who paid for a conservation license be not allowed to receive as many "gift" fish as someone who did not pay!?!?

Read the Regs??? Exactly my point !! (The Regs) are full of holes and riddled with non sensical bull, and to think they pay these public sector lightweights money they'd never earn in the real world. I'm all for conserving our resources but until those who govern us step up and give fair value for what they take from us I guess I'll just have to keep on having shore lunches. Not my idea but its certainly something I can sink my teeth into.

Read the Regs??? Exactly my point !! (The Regs) are full of holes and riddled with non sensical bull, and to think they pay these public sector lightweights money they'd never earn in the real world. I'm all for conserving our resources but until those who govern us step up and give fair value for what they take from us I guess I'll just have to keep on having shore lunches. Not my idea but its certainly something I can sink my teeth into.

To paraphrase, you think MNR staff are stupid and overpaid, and have personally tried to produce regulations that confound and confuse you. You don't like this. As a direct result, you will ignore the catch and possession limits and keep more than your daily limit. And you'll continue to do this until they are paid less or do something more for you. Did I get that right?

I wonder how many of those "public sector lightweights" you spoke of are members here, because they love to fish too.

I'm pretty happy to be here in Ontario, enjoying what we have. I feel the MNR plays a critical role in protecting that. Are they perfect? Nope. Who is?

Do I push for continual improvement? Yup. That's how things get better.

An angler catches a limit of fish and eats 2 for lunch. Am I to understand that said angler is not allowed to catch 2 more to fill his/her limit? The fish have been consumed therefore allowing an angler to fill the limit again. Basic math, no? Illogical to say the least, but nothing new.

Did you really just say that you're going to purposely ignore regulations because some of them don't make sense? What part of "daily catch limit" doesn't click with you?

If there was any enforcement at all, people might not take the chance at keeping over limits. I could go out and fill my boat any day, and know I have about a 1% chance of getting checked on the water.

The chance of having a CO come to my house to check my freezer is so small, its not even worth talking about.

S.

Agree about the enforcement issue and many anglers continue to do it.

However, I don't mind keeping some in the freezer for the shoulder seasons, when my luck isn't as good.