QEW to 400 N

seanik

I am asking for some current information and advice on getting from the QEW to 400 North not using the 407 ETR. We will be going through Toronto Thursday Aug.9 at about 11:00Am and traveling to Capreol, Ont. and boarding Via Rail for an 18 hr train trip to Flindt Landing Lodge in the Wabakimi Park. We did this trip last year with great fishing results but the train was most enjoyable.

Is there a good alternate route to the 400 N avoiding the tolls?

Seanik

Anywhere between 10-11:00am you will be okay getting to 400, assuming there are no lane restrictions due to collisions. Not sure where you are leaving from but it sounds like Hamilton/Niagara area. Take QEW and then 403E. You can ride the carpool lane all the way to the 401 which increases your odds of not being delayed. Once you are on 401E, the 400N ramp is not far. If by chance you notice the 401E is busy, take 427N to 409E, then 409E to 401E. You will merge back onto 401E about 1km west of the 400N ramp, so make sure you are in the far right lane to be able to safely access the ramp. Keep an eye out for the large overhead electronic message signs for traffic delays.

The 427 is just fine south of the 401.

Either route mentioned should be good (QEW-403E-401E-400N OR QEW-427N-401E-400N), especially at 11AM on a weekday. I'd probably go with the 403E route with the carpool lane, as long as you have at least three people in the car. Taking the 409 MIGHT help a bit if it's busy, but I've only gone that route when it's really bad STOP-AND-GO traffic. I don't think it saves much time, just some frustration.

I'd probably stay in the Express lane on the 401 as well to make things easier, but the collectors might be faster if you really need to save 5 minutes, lol.

The 427 is crap, I don't think they've done road maintenance to that thing for 20 years.. I'd take QEW/403/401/400N..

Are you referring to the last three years of maintenance which is still ongoing or the three more years still to come?

Also, total travel time between QEW and 401 at 11:00 am would be like four minutes. How "crap" could that be?

Cheers,

Mark

Are you referring to the last three years of maintenance which is still ongoing or the three more years still to come?

Also, total travel time between QEW and 401 at 11:00 am would be like four minutes. How "crap" could that be?

Cheers,

Mark

You must actually work on the road crew to be defending the 427, lol! The 403/401 route is 100% better.

Okay - let me clarify. The 427 is not a wasteland road from a mad max movie. 99% of travelers wouldn't notice the "lack of maintenance" you're referring to.

In terms of driving distance, they're about the same. 403 has potential to be faster because you avoid the downtown toronto traffic.

The 427 is crap, I don't think they've done road maintenance to that thing for 20 years.. I'd take QEW/403/401/400N..

Cheers,

Mark

kelso-burn.jpg

Okay - let me clarify. The 427 is not a wasteland road from a mad max movie.

Okay that made me laugh. :D

Anyhow mid morning you'll be fine using either of the routes mentioned, although I do believe QEW-427-401 TO 400 is the fastest.

I'm much more interested in your trip. How about a report on Flindt Landing when you return?

Over the years I've done several canoe trips in that immediate vicinity getting dropped off along the tracks west of Armstrong.

I agree the train is fantastic, but man is it ever expensive! I'd use it all the time if I could afford to.

Cheers