Fishing Lac St Loius

mercman

Lac St Louis is a huge lake connected to Lake St Francis by the St Lawerence river.I went fishing there with a local friend, and we did quite well.

100_0084.jpg

100_0082.jpg

Now look at one of the fish in my picture. It died from the bends. We kept the fish, and luckily for us, there were all in the slot.They were all caught jigging in 45-70 FOW.

What i would like to know, is there a way i can prevent this from happening, or how can i save the fishes lives if it happenes again?

Is fizzing a solution? and if so, how do i fizz a fish properly?

Thanks

Paul

Best way to avoid that is reel the fish in super slow. Fizzing with a hypo has merit but in my experience doesn't work all that well especially in the warm waters of mid summer.

Great area btw. I fished LSF and LSL many years ago and enjoyed it immensely. Always wanted to go back...

If that's where this fish are, then that's where you target Paul. Good advice as mentioned in other posts, 'don't horse the fish to the surface' and 'pause on your retrieve with sufficient drag'.

Chances of a successful release (if required) are exponential.

IMHO

Edited by pikeslayer

Best way to avoid that is reel the fish in super slow. Fizzing with a hypo has merit but in my experience doesn't work all that well especially in the warm waters of mid summer.

Great area btw. I fished LSF and LSL many years ago and enjoyed it immensely. Always wanted to go back...

Then you know the area whistling.gif

Water levels are so bad near Chateauguay and Beauharnois, that there are more launchs closed than open.Shallower areas are void of most fish, except suckers and pike,and the deep water where i was fishing is stacked with walleye, Lake Trout and Sturgeon.We Caught one 40 inch sturgeon, and you could feel your jig bouncing off them and fallling the last 3 or 4 feet to the bottom. Crazy stuff.

Does this mean , no more ice fishing on simcoe for whities & lakers ? :tease:

Think Roy was speaking specifically about walleye. The sane thing will happen to perch in those depths.

As mentioned by others slow and steady can help.

Nice fish Paul!

I keep a needle for fizzing in my tackle box.... But it's for emergency situations... I never plan on using it... But if the situation comes up where a big fish(to big for me to eat) is gunna die... Then I'll fizz it and monitor it in my live well to be certain it will survive before it is released...

But that's why I fish less then 25 feet of water most of the time....

Take the strap of lead off marker buoy and bend small hook and tie to other rod. Now put hook on inside lip, point the fish down and let it go. Hits bottom just shake off.

I never had much success with slow fighting. Go the other way and release quickly with the torpedo always worked better for me.

It's actually pretty simple... don't fish lower then 35 ft! I don't beleive that slow retrieve is gonna do anythng but prolong the inevitable... go fish for some bass until the Pickereyes are obtainable in non kill zone waters...

This is no different than fishing below 30ft on Quinte in the fall, with the exception being the size of the fish.

If catch and release is your goal, then don't fish kill zones.

HH

PS... come on Skeeter, you know that Lake Trout can burp! Pickereyes can't!

Great advice gentlemen:clapping: I will change locations this friday when i am out there again.I have a feeling i know a spot or 2, after checking Navionics, but if anyone(Darsky) has a few tips, a PM would be appreciated:whistling:

Sounds like the doré are stack like a cord of wood down there Paul B) Regrettably, I have no words of wisdom to give you about how to save a fish that got the bends from being reeled in from the deep, sorry :dunno:

Great report and beauty GOLD!!!

Thanks for sharing

Jacques

That,s why I like the local fish munger. No worries about releasing.Just buy and eat. :tease:

Nice fish Paul.

You BUY fish .... :dunno: ....where....didn't even know it was for sale....LOL.....come on over to Lancaster, NY and I will sell you all kinds of fish.....walleye, perch, crappie and now some salmon.... :)