Legend Boats

Matt Janes

After running a 4 stroke now for a few years, I would never go back to a 2... they are quiet, no oil to mix with the gas, great on fuel efficiency, and virtually no smell/fumes. However I know some of the bigger, newer 2 strokes are much improved, and run much cleaner than 2 strokes of yesterday. As for the new vs. used debate, I bought a used boat a few years ago - with my current Honda - the boat was a lemon, and caused me a lot of headaches, but the motor has been awesome. Always a bit of a gamble buying anything used... try and buy from someone you know takes good care of their gear if possible.

Peter

I just fill the oil tank every 3rd tank of gas no mixing required and they aren't that much noisier when they are running at speed IMO

th_blastoff.jpg

Have not been impressed with legend. Our boat is 4 years old and has two bad leaks in it. The aluminum has started to tear and the dealership has completely fluffed us off saying that its not covered under warranty. Weve never run the boat ashore or ever hit a rock, say its due to loading on the trailer. Not impressed

I bought my first rig, used, last year. I would have to echo most of the comments posted here, bigger is definately better for motors for a numbers of reasons, safety, power, even fuel efficiency since you dont have to run a bigger motor flat out to cruise at a decent speed. Legend is a mfg that packages boats with smaller underpowered motors to put their product at a more favourable price point. I noticed that when I was shopping. When you step up the power to its max range, package prices are comparable to other brands. My buddy boughgt a new legend 24 foot pontoon boat last year and that boat came packaged with a 15hp motor if you can believe that. With the top up and the wind blowing, I think you barely tread water with a 15hp in such a large boat. Even the salesman said you can't use the 15hp motor when he was putting the package together. Why sell it like that is beyond me????

If you do buy used, be sure to remember that you will have to pay taxes on the purchase. The seller I purchased from gave me 3 seperate invoices for the boat, motor and trailer. I was charged HST on the value of the trailer when I changed the registration to myself.

Do your homework if you buy used and make sure you get a unit that has not been abused. Paying for a review of the rig by a professional is not a bad idea or perhaps a diagnostic test on the motor by a certified mechanic to make sure there are no issues. I had a fuel injector go on my motor a couple months after I got my rig, fortunately it was covered under the warranty but the process of getting it covered was too onerus to write about here. I will only say remember to get any warranty coverage transferred to you as soon as possible after purchase.

Hope this helps. I'm excited for you, new toys are always fun!

Thanks Guys,

After speaking to the sales guy at the dealer, I am unsure of what to do. He really seems to be pushing on the 4 stroke (probably for good reasons but still) saying that it's really hard to get 2 strokes, hard to resell and blah, blah. Anyway, I am going in tomorrow to meet with this guy and see what he can offer. In the meantime I have been researching and I found a Tracker boat that retails for almost the same price as the Legend 16' Xcite. This boat is the Tracker Super Guide V-16 SC. Not sure what to do at this point. The Legend seemed like a great deal but at $11000 plus about $3000 to upgrade to at least a 40HP 4 stroke is going to put me easily over $15000. We will see what happens tomorrow.

Again thanks for the input/info

Matt

Firstly I'd go with a 4 stroke for reasons previously mentioned. Secondly, there may or may not be a reason why I see so few Trackers on the waterways compared to most others. Are they getting a bad rap based on past QC issues or are people just too gun shy and would rather stick with a known commodity when dropping big $$ ?

If I can swing a new boat after my mortgage is burned, a Tracker is way down on my list for the above reasons. There are too many other fine choices available imo.

I just scanned through this thread for the first time. So far, I know that you have a budget of 15K or less if possible. That tells a marine dealership that you have 15K to give them if they can convince you that what they're offering you for your money is a good deal. Nowhere have I seen what you need in a boat. It's kind of important to know. Do you want to fish bigger water than what you have in the past with the 14'? Want a side console? Tiller? Do you mostly fish alone or with friends? Will you have kids in the boat? Do you mostly cast or troll? Do you need a bowmount electric? All of the answers to those questions and more will help us help you. The dealer who asks you none of those questions and just needs to know your budget, should be taken off your list. Budget is important but it's only one of the questions. But hey....that's just my opinion. Good luck to you, Matt.

I am just curious on responses to this question. Let's say you have a max budget off 15,000 including taxes, which is basically my budget, what do you buy?

I say you buy a slightly used boat in the states.

15000 will buy you a darn nice 16 to 18 foot aluminum.

I would look at crest liner, alumacraft, smokercraft... I have owned two crust liner fish hawks and I think they are nicely laid out with wide beams and good decking and storage.

Make sure you get a boat with a maxed out or close to it motor, as mentioned many times. And get a 24 v trolling motor too, as already mentioned.

Landry

I echo Roy on his input so far people are giving you their opinion on a boat for them not one for you. I fish anywhere from a farm pond in a plastic pontoon to a 28ft for fishing the big river and the ocean. Give us a list of what waters you fish and the type of fish you are pursuing.

Art

It's true I haven't included what I am looking for so here it is:

> side console is a must

> fishing lakes in the kaladar area but living in Ottawa, also the Ottawa and Rideau

> fishing a lot for bass (casting) but starting to take more of an interest in trolling for walleye

> looking for a bow mounted trolling motor

> I always fish with my wife (who loves to fish) and often times our two and a half year old tags along.

> looking for a 16 footer

> 15000 or less if possible

Hope this helps!

Matt

In regards to the salesman at Legend.. They tried the same thing with me about the 4 stroke.. Gave me a big spiel about how dependable, fuel efficient etc, etc.. Told me the 2 stroke was "chainsaw" technology.. I finally put my foot down and said " listen: I'm a mechanic, I can't reprogram an ECM in the bush, but I can fix a carburator".. He finally agreed and raved from then on about the 2 stroke.. Said it really flew on the test drive and had a good holeshot.

Fact is, they'll tell you anything to make a buck, which they make more of when selling a higher priced package.

Hey All,

Thought I would update as I went to the dealer today. So we are strongly considering the 15 Angler. With 40HP 4 stroke and fees and a couple add ons it comes to basically 18000, including taxes. The guy was offering 6.5% interest over 15 years making the monthly payments very attractive at 150 a month. I realize over 15 years it's probably 15000 in interest but it really is a nice boat, especially in person. Now I have a difficult decision to make. Any thoughts? It seems like I can't get a decent side console fishing boat for under 15000 with a reasonable motor...

Hey All,

Thought I would update as I went to the dealer today. So we are strongly considering the 15 Angler. With 40HP 4 stroke and fees and a couple add ons it comes to basically 18000, including taxes. The guy was offering 6.5% interest over 15 years making the monthly payments very attractive at 150 a month. I realize over 15 years it's probably 15000 in interest but it really is a nice boat, especially in person. Now I have a difficult decision to make. Any thoughts? It seems like I can't get a decent side console fishing boat for under 15000 with a reasonable motor...

Guess again......

Compounded interest = $ 28,293.14

Total amount paid = $ 46,293.14

Slayer,

Edited by pikeslayer

Compounded interest = $ 28,293.14

Total amount paid = $ 46,293.14

Slayer,

I get the $28293 but not the $46293.

Cost of borrowing from them is a little over $10200.

Whether or not the boat is right is not for me to decide, but I would shop around for a better deal on the rate.