filet knife

rob v

I'm looking to buy a new knife. I've got my old rapala wooden handle but I'm at the point where I wouldn't mind spending a bit more to get a bit more quality. Of course I'm not talking about going nuts - some of these $200 knives look nice - but even the sales person says this isn't something you should take with you to the cottage or the boat.

Anybody have a recommendation on a mid-good quality knife ? .... or should I just go spend a few bucks on my old knife and get a new edge on it ?

Really depends on the person. I personally use a leather man wave have tried lots of other knives but they just don't feel right to me, so it's a very personal choice.

After reading UglyBug's response I realized I assumed you were talking about a fillet knife even though you did not specify.

I always thought that to properly filet a fish, you needed a `filet` knife, but now i know that any good quality thinish bladed knife, sharpened properly, will do a great job.I recently forgot my Rapala knife on a fishing trip with my brother.All i had on me was a pocket sized Buck Knife with a 3 in.blade.Sharpened it up and it worked perfectly on Bass, and i used it on walleye a week later with the same results.I actually liked it better than my Rapala.

Get something comfortable in your hand, and dont rule out using other types of knives to filet fish.

Its a little more than a Rapala, but squeaks under your $200 is too much:

zwilling-ja-henckel-professional-s-knives-fillet-knife-31030-183-popup.jpgHenckel stainless. Buy the henckel sharpening steel to go with it and it will last a life time, keep an unbelievably sharp edge and cut throough anything if your not careful - the most balanced and best knife I have ever had ( including the Ginsusarcasm.gif ).

I know Ron and my wife both have amazing knives all hand made from handles to the 1 piece blade that runs through the handle. A friend skip makes them him and his brother run big catch outdoors in Belleriver these never need to be sharpened. Just amazing stuff for around $100 and up it's well worth it.

give skipp or don a call or look them up on Facebook big catch outdoors inc. tell them I sent you and ask about the fish griper they make it is awesome for skinning fish

(519) 728-2922

The wife's cousin fishes all year and cleans a huge amount of fish for all his family and friends his knife has not been sharpened and had it for years. His knife that skip made for hunting to cut up deer moose bear and everything else has never been sharpened and yes he guts a lot every year he does this for all the family and his friends these knifes are wicked

Have a look at Grohman knives out of Nova Scotia. They're pretty much all I use for hunting and fishing now. I really like the fillet knives. http://www.grohmannk...com/index2.html

x2

A great knife i went with a second could not belive how nice the second was ...

I was at thier shop picked out the knife what a great place to visit

Cutco makes a great knife and the customer service is amazing. I've had mine for over 15 yrs, blade got nicked up, sent it in and it came back with a new blade, and I believe a new handle - all I paid for was shipping. Guaranteed forever - no receipt required.

http://www.cutco.ca/...?itemGroup=5721

I was given one of these for a Christmas present. Had my doubts at first but it's been a great knife so far. I like the adjustable blade too and pretty tough to beat the guarantee.

The Grohman and "Big Catch Outdoors" knives look sweet.

I use my 4" rap more than any others. I have a few of them. I find the rapala knives with the black blades are the best for holding an edge, but they're all easy to sharpen.

Get a good steel, and you will never have a dull knife. Use it every time you use the knife and it will stay razor sharp.

I have a set of rapala's I use for fish only, a set for game only, and a set in the kitchen that we use every day for all sorts of things.

Ya can't get a better blade for the money IMO.

S.

I've got 3 Rapala knives hanging in the garage but haven't cleaned a fish in 20 years so I can't remember if their good for that or not.

I did use one for cutting sod the other day and for that job, their pretty darned good :lol:

Have a look at Grohman knives out of Nova Scotia. They're pretty much all I use for hunting and fishing now. I really like the fillet knives. http://www.grohmannknives.com/index2.html

Huge fan of the Russels. Have the fillet, skinner and bird, my fav is the bird knife. Sure quality is very important but so is feel. I use the bird knife on Moose, Deer, etc. Fits nice in your hand and easy to use, you can palm it. Fillets fish well too. One knife I always have with me.

Edited by Harrison

I use the wooden handle rapala and feel that for 30 bux you really can't get a better knife for filleting fish, though there are better blades out there now the black handle 20 dollar rapala is good for about 60 walleyes before the blade gets all nicked up