down rigger releases? what does everybody use

I recently respooled two downrigger outfits with 40lb braid and i can't the releases to hold?? i'm using scotty releases, the power grips with the neon grips and the stacker releases with the red pads

I would occasionally get the occasional release running 30lb maxima pulling a 12" flasher but after spooling with braid the only thing i can pull are spoons...flashers, smaller dodgers and plugs are pull out of the release either on the drop or after a min or two of trolling, 1.5 to 3.5 trolling speed

what releases do you guys use with braid? is 40 lb too light?

I ended up top shotting the braid with 40 lb mono i had in the boat to finish the day which is fair enough for chasing salmon...but for inland fishing and smaller lakers and rainbows i'd prefer to find a release that works better

next time i'm out i'm going to try sliding a piece of tubing over the braid which should hold better, maybe trying looping an elastic and clipping that in the release

I noticed right away that there is a lot less blow back on the braid but not like that was ever a huge problem anyways...I pretty much use braid for almost everything now, I love it

the main advantage for myself running braid on the riggers is that I only have one dedicated rigger reel, the rest of my reels I use for casting, trolling flat lines and jigging...so it would be nice to simply swap reels from rod to rod when I'm packing the boat, rather than buying a few extra reels

has anybody spool braid on the riggers? one more hang up/cut off and it'll be time to respool one of my riggers, thinking i might try 130 lb braid, less blowback on the rigger would be a benefit for sure, any experience with running deeper with a lighter ball?

I recently respooled two downrigger outfits with 40lb braid and i can't the releases to hold?? i'm using scotty releases, the power grips with the neon grips and the stacker releases with the red pads I would occasionally get the occasional release running 30lb maxima pulling a 12" flasher but after spooling with braid the only thing i can pull are spoons...flashers, smaller dodgers and plugs are pull out of the release either on the drop or after a min or two of trolling, 1.5 to 3.5 trolling speed what releases do you guys use with braid? is 40 lb too light? I ended up top shotting the braid with 40 lb mono i had in the boat to finish the day which is fair enough for chasing salmon...but for inland fishing and smaller lakers and rainbows i'd prefer to find a release that works better next time i'm out i'm going to try sliding a piece of tubing over the braid which should hold better, maybe trying looping an elastic and clipping that in the release

These are exactly what you need: http://www.coldwater...er-release-clip Your line is wrapped, not pinched (see second video).

I also incorporate the 'rubber band' method. I find my hook up ratio went way up last year.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/kzHlQzFGKZE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/B-qTqZOFLnU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Slayer

Edited by pikeslayer

tried braid last year on my spools and found the same thing. I also couldnt load up the rod like i like to as well, and found that the stretch in the mono really helps this. I will not go braid for a rigger rod again. Like others said, only for a dipsy.

We use gang trolls however this may also work with flashers or dodgers. We attach the gang troll directly to the downrigger ball, then attach the release to the back of it.

Then on our line we only have a spoon/rapala/minnow and when we hook up you are only fighting the fish.

rig1.jpg

We will sometimes do the same thing but rather than running the release off the ball, we'll use a double release and put it about 3 feet up the downrigger line so your bait is running a little higher than the flasher. Just make sure when you do this, you'll want to run your lure a few feet behind the flasher so you'll need to put a bit more line out. Also, put a small bell sinker at the back of the gang troll to keep it down.

rig2.jpg

p.s. paint isn't one of my stronger points! :glare:

Dont fish Lake O in the summer with braid. Your line will look like a flea circus crossing the Niagara. Frankie65 can tell you a story about that

Pikeslayer has the set up if you dont have a flea issue on your waters ---, similar to what Dan Keating uses and that guy seems to land a few.

Dont fish Lake O in the summer with braid. Your line will look like a flea circus crossing the Niagara. Frankie65 can tell you a story about that

Pikeslayer has the set up if you dont have a flea issue on your waters ---, similar to what Dan Keating uses and that guy seems to land a few.

Great point about the fleas SC.they are the worst I've seen in five years. No braid on my boat now, not even for dipsies. Wire on the dipsies, FF on the riggers w/ flouro leaders.

But Black's releases w/ the rubber bands will definitely result in more solid hook ups. Also better indicator for shakers.

Black's releases are amazing. I have been running them for 3 or 4 years now and never had a false release. If you are going to run braid (I dont run braid on my rigger rods), then the Black's releases are the way to go.

The downfall to running braid on either riggers or dipseys, is that you get more spiny water fleas on braid due to their thinner profile. The last two weeks we have been getting fleas on our dipseys. While fishing the Port Credit Salmon and Trout Association (PCSTA) derby last week, we had a 18 lb king on. For the last 50 feet my dad would literally reel in 6" of line and my brother would try to take off fleas.

This is the earliest I have seen fleas on our lines in 10 years. We are in the process of adding 100-200 feet of flea flicker on our dipseys. I am hoping that the 30 lb Big Game might be enough to keep the fleas off of our rigger lines. If not, then we are going to add Flea Flicker to those rods too.

The downfall to Flea Flicker is its oval shape, it tends to twist, no matter how good your swivels are, the line will still twist. I know guys run 40 or 50 lb mono and don't get as many fleas on their lines.

I just ordered a few new releases online, can't wait to see how they work

fishing vancouver harbour and gulf islands spiny waterfleas are't a problem like back home, not even sure if they are in the waters out here? plenty of sea lice on fish but no issues collecting on braid

I just ordered a few new releases online, can't wait to see how they work

fishing vancouver harbour and gulf islands spiny waterfleas are't a problem like back home, not even sure if they are in the waters out here? plenty of sea lice on fish but no issues collecting on braid

I have found a useful tool to keep aboard for when the fleas build up...

toolopicture.gif

http://www.fleastripper.com/