For those who fish the Kawartha's NF

Harrison

Hi All,

If you have a second, what route do you take to the Kawarthas (Chemong, Pigeon, Buckhorns, Balsam, Stoney, Crowe etc)

Would it be safe to say most from the GTA and West take Hwy 401 to Hwy 115 North and then branch out from there to 35, 36, Hwy 7 etc..?

Edited by Harrison

From SWO I usually take the milk run through Guelph up to #9 and across through Newmarket etc unless I'm going through Toronto very early on a weekend. Adds another hour to the trip and more gas but its a nice predictable drive.

Edited by Spooled

I take a right out of my driveway...a left past "Half-Way" park...a right past "The Pines" park...and a quick stop at the lake...

Just pulling your leg Phil...

From Richmond Hill I used to go up the 404 to Bloomington Side Road...East to hwy 12...straight across 12 put me on 7A thru Port Perry and over to hwy 35...north on 35 to hwy 7...about a mile east to hwy 36...then north to Bobcaygeon "The Hub of the Kawarthas"

Depends which lake and what time and day I leave.

Sometimes I go the back route because I hate traffic more than saving time. Especially if I am heading to the Bobcaygeon or Fenelon Falls area.

If it's not a busy time I would typically just go down the 401 to 115 [or 28 if I am going to Rice]. Sometimes I go down the 407 and follow 7/7A to 115, especially if it's at a time when the traffic on the 401 near Ajax-Oshawa is BAD. It can get really congested around there going eastbound. After Oshawa it's smooth sailing though, so any eastern route that bypasses the 401 between Ajax and Oshawa during rush hour is a good idea.

Thanks All!

That's what I do from the GTA. If heading to the tri lakes I prefer to get off before Peterborough.

Fowlers Corners... great short cut.

From SWO I usually take the milk run through Guelph up to #9 and across through Newmarket etc unless I'm going through Toronto very early on a weekend. Adds another hour to the trip and more gas but its a nice predictable drive.

Seems like a long haul. I would hate having to go through Toronto too.

Depends which lake and what time and day I leave.

Sometimes I go the back route because I hate traffic more than saving time. Especially if I am heading to the Bobcaygeon or Fenelon Falls area.

If it's not a busy time I would typically just go down the 401 to 115 [or 28 if I am going to Rice]. Sometimes I go down the 407 and follow 7/7A to 115, especially if it's at a time when the traffic on the 401 near Ajax-Oshawa is BAD. It can get really congested around there going eastbound. After Oshawa it's smooth sailing though, so any eastern route that bypasses the 401 between Ajax and Oshawa during rush hour is a good idea.

I hate Ajax to Oshawa, it used to be Port Union to Ajax, they just keep moving the traffic east.

I am on the hunt for something and I appreciate your replies.

Phil

I think the 401 to 115/35 route is the best. The 401 is always going to have traffic starting in Pickering in heavy travel times where the express and collectors merge but usually can get through it in 20 mins (depending on when you're in it) and the rest you're cruising.

I live right in the middle of the Tri-Lakes, Phil, and work all over the place including Scarborough, Durham Region and Markham. When traffic allows, the 401 to 115 is always the best route. I usually exit at County Rd 10 (Cavan) and head north from there. If coming from Markham, the 407 to Brock Rd, north to Coppins Corners, east thru Port Perry all the way to 35, Mt Horeb Rd takes you to Omemee from there.

If I'm on the road ( from Mississauga to Sturgeon) before 1400 on a weekday, it's 401 to 115/35. Any other time is via 407.

You opening up chip truck Phil?

Something like that... ;) There will be fish.

...or if you want a nicer but longer drive, go up and around Lake Simcoe. Turn left at Beaverton and start heading towards Fenelon Falls, Bobcaygeon, Buckhorn. You'll end up at Hwy 36 & Hwy 28 which is right near Burleigh Falls. So many options! :)

Edited by ckrb2007

From Richmond Hill I used to go up the 404 to Bloomington Side Road...East to hwy 12...straight across 12 put me on 7A thru Port Perry and over to hwy 35...north on 35 to hwy 7...about a mile east to hwy 36...then north to Bobcaygeon "The Hub of the Kawarthas"

This is a good route when the 401 is plugged.

I don't get west of bowmanville too often though, so its 401-115 for me.

S.

Edited by Sinker

I am on the hunt for something and I appreciate your replies.

Well Phil you know where I am and I take Simcoe up to #8 (Manila sp?) then 8 to 35 then off to 121 to get to the 'Falls'

Something like that... ;) There will be fish.

location, location, location.... :whistling:

If traffic is light, I'll take the stairs down to the back door and walk straight out the back door to the dock, but if foot traffic in the house is really heavy, I'll go out the front door and walk around the house to the dock.

The problem with route 2 is that it doesn't pass the beer fridge.

:whistling:

It all depends on where you are coming from and where you are going too.

For me, when I worked in mississauga, I would take the back roads up.

I would make my way over to york-durham line 30, which is just east of hwy 48.

Go north to cnty rd 11 (sandford rd)and go east, to cnty rd 1 (concession rd 7 )

then head north to cnty rd 13 and go east to cnty rd 2(simcoe rd).Quick little jog up to cnty rd 4 (little Britain)and head east on it until you hit hwy 7 in Lindsay.

Then turn right on 7 until I get to fowlers corner. :thumbsup_anim:

2 hour drive from dixie rd & 401 to fowlers corner, any day of the week, not traffic jams once you get to cnty rd 30.

I would like to find a quick way to highway 9 from guelph area instead of going through the town. most of the roads go north west around there instead of east.

(1)24 to trafalgar (left) to wellington 22 (right) to winston churchill (left) which becomes townline after the 90 deg bend, to 109 (right), to 10 (left) and immediate right on 9. ;)

(1)24 to trafalgar (left) to wellington 22 (right) to winston churchill (left) which becomes townline after the 90 deg bend, to 109 (right), to 10 (left) and immediate right on 9. ;)

Thanks Raf - If coming from Kitchener side of 401 is there an easy way to catch 124 rather than going through Guelph?

Maybe #6 North to #34 (right) to #29 left to #124 (right)? Or is it just quicker to take #124 through Guelph and up?

Thanks Raf - If coming from Kitchener side of 401 is there an easy way to catch 124 rather than going through Guelph?

Maybe #6 North to #34 (right) to #29 left to #124 (right)? Or is it just quicker to take #124 through Guelph and up?

To avoid guelph, I'd take 6 north to #22 (right), left on #29, quick right back on #22, left on #26, right on East Garafaxa/Erin townline (I am almost 100% this one is paved - it is once you get to Orton for sure) follow this road (wave as you go by 3rd line before Orton) all the way to Winston Churchill (left) you'll be right at the 90 deg bend I mentioned in the post above.