WALLEYE. nuff said (dare i say 'epic')

limeyangler

Hi all.

Well here goes.

Finally the stars aligned and all conditions were perfect to repay my buddy Cliff with some epic fishing after him treating me to his secret lake.

We started off fishing for walleye in the spot we hit a few days before when we were sheltering from the wind....the walleye were there again. We moved when someone moved in on our spot.

This gave us a chance for Cliff to try some downrigging for trout as he'd never fished this method before. We set up, he had a 'Bad Boyz' in silver purple and I had Williams half/half. We were not getting any hits and were just telling stories. I was telling the story of the time I took my mum and dad out downrigging and had the clip set to strong so it did not release when the fish hit and we had dragged a couple of trout around for a half hour.

After about an hour I said the wind had died down so we should try straight jigging as we had had nothing in an hour and a bit of trolling. We stopped the boat, grabbed a rod each and yanked hard to release the line from the clip. As soon as I did mine I knew I had a fish on.....Cliff never having used downriggers before took a bit longer to realise he had a fish on too...DOUBLE HEADER! Funny how I’d just finished the story about dragging fish around. I think I need new clips!

Anyway we called it a day with downriggers and went to a spot I ice fish which was the calmest spot on the lake, anchored up and set up Cliff';s X67C on the trolling motor transducer and mine just running off my regular transom mount 'ducer. Basically like ice fishing watching your jig and fish on screen.

Cliff was a natural and all but 2 of about 15 the of the trout we hooked went to him ....they would come in and look at my lure then make a B-line straight to Cliff's. Lots of little trout around today....healthy lake I guess.

I had set Cliff's line up the way I do it so we had same lure, line, and flouro leader.....HELL...we even have the same Walmart combo rod and reels! Funny how that happens some days.

I was not upset that Cliff was catching all the fish, I was just stoked that he finally got to try straight jigging trout after me telling lots of stories about it. Cliff also caught the most lake trout he has ever had in one session....nothing huge but Cliff was having a ball....that's all that mattered to me. Cliff even admitted he did not quite believe me about this method, but was a convert now!...........AND IT GETS BETTER!!!!!!!

After about an hour of straight jigging trout we had both our limits of trout and got them in the cooler as I still had the debt to repay to Cliff of the awesome walleye slaying session he treated me too a week or so before.

We headed to my honey hole and things were not looking good. I will usually see the fish on the finder as I triangulate my spot from marks on the shore. Not today. However as soon as we dropped a line I had a fish on, it was hugging so close to the bottom my finder did not pick it up even though it was right under the boat(I watched a featureless horizontal bottom line turn into an aggressively fast moving, vertical, BIG fish signal attacking my jig signal on the finder).

After that it was nonstop 22" - 29" fish for 2 hours we stayed. We only stayed 2 hours because......boy this sounds bad....it was almost getting boring catching them....no challenge whatsoever...mindless slaughter of huge walleye.

DEBT REPAYED......Cliff also got his personal best and almost broke into the 30"er club!

To be truthful it was not boredom that made us move....but the bite was slowing down and we wanted to see if we could catch some keepers!

I had been told where the keepers were so we tried half heartedly in that spot for 20 minutes, but I think we were both fished out.....when I suggested we head back Cliff agreed right away.

ABSOLUTELY AMAZING DAY.......

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/C8rQrwCXXDY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

IMG_1121.jpg

IMG_1162-1.jpg

IMG_1148.jpg

IMG_1141-1.jpg

IMG_1136.jpg

Oh my goodness!!! Very nice action there, Simon....that is an absolute TANK that Cliff got! Love the shot of double walleye....and nice ling too!

You sure know how to pay a guy back...well done :thumbsup_anim:

Beauty eyes, thanks for the report!

My pleasure!

Nice report!

Do I see a Ling on your stringer? Stink bad to clean, but thems some goood eats!

Nice walleyes and trout! I wish I lived where you do

Yeah, pretty gross to clean but dang...best 'cod' and chips in the world!

Oh my goodness!!! Very nice action there, Simon....that is an absolute TANK that Cliff got! Love the shot of double walleye....and nice ling too!

You sure know how to pay a guy back...well done :thumbsup_anim:

I think he owes me now! He is an awesome fishing partner and friend.

Lota lota !

Yuma Yuma

Looks like some fine table fare there. Great pics! thumbsup_anim.gif

Yup, trout grilled with lemon and fresh ground black pepper...delish!

Simon, I need job listings and real estate listings for your area. Just an incredible day on the water for you and Cliff, I tip my hat to you both. :good::worthy: Could use the name and model of those Walmart specials you were using too. :D

Mitchell Avocet II spin combo, regular $39 now $30.

Definitely epic! Thanks for recording all that footage, was fun to watch. I can only hope to have days like that ahead of me.

Thanks for the reply! I ran out of memory card space twice and had to go through the pics and vids deleting to make space!

That's one fantastic report!!! I could watch that all day! LOL

Thanks for posting...

HH

Thanks dude....my pleasure.

Man, those stars didn't align...they were huggin' each other! Beautiful weather, a slight walleye chop, A great friend and fishing partner and fish waiting in line for their turn at your baits. I know that folks who say "Fish are just a bonus" are watching this and chomping at the bit.

Great report Simon. Thanks for taking the time.

After that it was nonstop 22" - 29" fish for 2 hours we stayed. We only stayed 2 hours because......boy this sounds bad....it was almost getting boring catching them....no challenge whatsoever...mindless slaughter of huge walleye.

You sicken me Simon...Nothing could be more wrong. This quote alone is worthy enough for a weeks ban from the forum!

Having that much walleye, laker and ling mojo is a danger to society (and yourself).

Man, those stars didn't align...they were huggin' each other! Beautiful weather, a slight walleye chop, A great friend and fishing partner and fish waiting in line for their turn at your baits. I know that folks who say "Fish are just a bonus" are watching this and chomping at the bit.

Great report Simon. Thanks for taking the time.

I have never really truly, in my heart of hearts subscribed to the fish are just a bonus' concept :Gonefishing:

Comp is too slow for 17 minutes of video... but judging from the written report and pics, seems as though "epic" could just sum it up.

I actually had over twenty five minutes of vid and way more pics....but edited because i know the lake is recogniseable from my post, but my exact location on it would be more difficult to discern (hopefully).

You sicken me Simon...Nothing could be more wrong. This quote alone is worthy enough for a weeks ban from the forum!

Having that much walleye, laker and ling mojo is a danger to society (and yourself).

The trout mojo was all Cliff's!

awesome day on the water you guys killed them. its about time i saw another boat on the water congrats

Yuppers Corvy...just one of those days when it all comes together....had plenty of days when the opposite is the case!

Geeepers.... that is EPIC!

:thumbsup_anim:

man your videos are killing me. fish after fish after fish... :thumbsup_anim:

"almost boring.." man would I love to be in your shoes for a day :)

LOL...my crusty sneakers?