Interesting technique

Dave Bailey

Up at a popular fly in lodge, I usually have some success and a lot of fun trolling buzz-baits with just a few yards of line out, right beside the boat. I don't waste a lot of time on this, and haven't caught anything huge, but watching them strike a buzz-bait right beside you is an amazing sight! BTW...Leaving for our 2012 trip next weds!

I like the bit about going back and forth on a spot, almost like figure-eighting a musky.....but I don't see how this is really that effective. He missed all kinds of areas that he should've been casting tight to shore.

Most I would take from it is zigzagging the bait a few times at boatside, when you're right up against the weeds.

Otherwise....I'll let the wife do the sweeping and I'll catch the fish thumbsup_anim.gif

I have a technique called 'orbing'. Hook on a red/white spherical bobber and pop it. Probably equally as effective - and silly looking.

You can actually get bobbers with a concaved head that are specifically made for popping, a lot of saltwater guys use them for redfish and sea trout with a shrimp or other bait. Might be something to look into!