One Big brook Trout and something else

Finally got my brook trout fix with this nice sized fish. Almost 24" and 7 lbs. it was originally tagged in '08 at 16". Sure grew some!

untitled13.jpg

First time I ever caught one of these others however. Is it a brown? There are a few historical reports of browns in the Nipigon, but very, very rare.

untitled12-1.jpg

I'm on the fence, snout is a little pointy and the jaw appears to end at the eyeball rather than extending beyond it. Would it be too early for an Atlantic to enter a river up there? They are at the Soo, is it possible to travel to this location? The Brookie is awesome too :clapping:

Brown probably dropped out of the Arrow and back up into the Nip. They do put a lot of Browns into the Arrow

Not a chance of that happening. I know where Al caught this fish and it's impossible for an Arrow Brown to get to where it was caught.

I'm on the fence, snout is a little pointy and the jaw appears to end at the eyeball rather than extending beyond it. Would it be too early for an Atlantic to enter a river up there? The Brookie is awesome too :clapping:

Thinking Atlantic as first instinct as well.

Nice big Brook Trout. :Gonefishing:

First of all, awesome Brookie Al. As impressive as it is, I'm more intrigued by the Brown. I've been trout fishing in this area practically my entire life and I've never even seen, never mind caught, a Brown. There are a few historical mentions of Browns caught in the Nipigon system, including the lake, but how they got there I haven't a clue. A rare catch up here for sure. Congrats Al.

First of all, awesome Brookie Al. As impressive as it is, I'm more intrigued by the Brown. I've been trout fishing in this area practically my entire life and I've never even seen, never mind caught, a Brown.

Judging by large size of spotting,lack of red spots and jaw position and length.

I feel safe to assume it's an Atlantic salmon.

Judging by large size of spotting,lack of red spots and jaw position and length.

I feel safe to assume it's an Atlantic salmon.

It would be impossible for a Lake Superior fish to be where Al caught this fish.

Thanks everyone for your comments. While the Brookie was a treat to catch, the brown was a real surprise. As Dan said, these fish are very rare up here, especially where I caught it. I have sent the photo off to the Nipigon biologist. Hopefully he can shed some light on this rarity.