Drop Shot Fishing

mercman

I have an extra rod that i would like to use as a dedicated drop shot rod.Its a 7' ML Fast action bait casting rod. I know i could google it, but you boys have always been wealth of info for me.clapping.gif

What do i need as far as line, hooks, sinkers, Knots,swivels, technics, etc ?

I have long heard that this technic will catch fish in all situations. Bout time i gave it a "shot"w00t.gif

Thanks!!!

Drop shot is fine with a baitcasting reel. As long as the rod is sensitive enough you shouldn't have a problem.

Paul Drop shot is my main method of fishing bass. Get some VMC drop shot hooks they have two swivels on the hook cut the smallest one off and tie to that. As for line 10# braid and for bass I use 6# flouro leader. Any type of weight will work but that have specail drop shot weights that are good for switching the depth of the hook with out re-tying.

PM me and I will help ya with anything you need as for the baitcaster you may want to put 15# braid on.

I have used a legend tournament baitcaster for drop shot and there was no problem feeling the light taps.

Edited by Live2fish85

The "Drop Shot" method has been around for a LONG time before any bass boat was ever invented.....I just have to laugh at "bass anglers" coining it "Drop Shooting"......that was the first way I learned how to fish with my day over 50 years ago....... :D

I didn't say it was only a bass angler thing. My grandfather also taught me to fish using the drop shot method for perch.

That being said alot has changed sonce you started fishing all those years ago. I just said the method I use for bass.

You can certainly use a baitcast set up for drop shotting.

However, a spinning set up will allow you to use thinner diameter line, as well you get a lot better feel with a properly matched spinning rod for this technique. IMO

I use a 7'6 Light action for drop shot, 4 - 6lb test and thin gauge hook. I drop shot a lot and many of the big smallmouth I have boated were done so drop shotting.

Edit to add;

Paul that rod would be a good one for light senko or fluke fishing.

Edited by Harrison

Those VMC spinshot dropshot hooks that Live2Fish mentioned are one of the best dropshot hooks IMO, eliminates the nasty line twist that comes with dropshotting. I agree with alot of others here, you can use a baitcaster setup to drop shot. As far as I am concerned, if you can feel the weight making bottom contact, and feel the action of your bait in the water, you'll have no issues detecting a bite.

The less you do with a drop shot in terms of moving the bait around seems to be better, slight movement of the rod-tip to keep the bait fluttering is all that is needed. Its really important to use a weight that allows you to feel the bottom and maintain bottom contact, hence a wide assortment of weights are needed depending on how deep you are fishing, how windy it is, etc.

As far as lure selection goes, there are many selections. Some guys will use minnow imitator baits, others will use senkos, but typically most baits are in the 3"-3.5" range to be most effective, but if they are really munching, they'll bite anything.

Good luck, its a great way to catch them when they are on a slow bite, but will also catch you lots of fish when they are aggressive to. Most guys will tell you they won't hit the great lakes without a dropshot tied on.

I didn't say it was only a bass angler thing. My grandfather also taught me to fish using the drop shot method for perch.

That being said alot has changed sonce you started fishing all those years ago. I just said the method I use for bass.

OH, PLEASE don't take what I said personl....I wasn't trying to single you out......but rather speaking in general terms when I said "bass anglers"....we had a much different term used to describe "drop shotting" but it's not a politically correct phrase.

Back to the ACTUAL question...

Typical setup for drop-shotting:

Rod - 7ft to 7.5ft ML to Med rod

Reel - personal preference, but most people use spinning gear to allow for smaller diameter line

(same can be achieved by using a flouro leader if using a bait-casting outfit)

Line - the thinnest you can get away with, typically 6-8 lb flouro

Hooks - Stringease "Zero Twist" hooks are amazing. Same idea as the VMC spinshot, where they both eliminate line twist by being able to rotate 360 degrees. The other hooks I use are the "Stand-out" dropshot hooks that have an extra "arm" that you pass your tag end through, to eliminate the hook from "turning" upside down during your presentation.

Baits - almost anything, but Xzone "Slammers" are by far the most popular (and top producing) baits around the Great Lakes region. There's quite a few "knock offs" of the slammer out there as well. Gulp minnows, finesse worms, Fin-S fish, etc are also great options.

Techniques - As with any technique, everyone has their "own" way to do things. Typically, I try to move the bait as little as possible and have it just "hover" in place for a lengthy period of time. If the fish won't commit to the "dead stick" approach, I'll impart a slight "shake" to the bait, followed by a pause.

Recognizing a strike - a lot of the time it will be a "dead weight" feeling on the end of your line. Other times you can feel the standard "thump" of a fish striking. I've also had my line just take off and start "swimming" away.

Interesting. The first fish I ever caught was a smallmouth bass on Lake Muskoka on a drop shot rig that my dad tied for me. This would be in the early '70s. Hardly a revolutionary technique, and I was hardly a "world-class angler" at the time. Actually, I was probably better back then... :-)

I also used a spinning rod, but it was because my casting rods generally weren`t spooled with line lighter than 14#, and I didn`t use braid. A drop shot sinker is tough to get on line heavier than 10# and may not release properly. You can accomplish the same thing using a slip sinker and rubber peg or tooth pick.

The Stringease or VMC hooks Stoty mentioned seem like the way to go, if I was still fishing I would have them.

I didn't realize you had the swivel hooks and so on back then. Plus all the bait like they have now for drop shottin my bad. I guess the rods and that were as good back then as now.

Also I did say the method wasn't usefull back then. It has just improved over the years.

I didn't realize you had the swivel hooks and so on back then. Plus all the bait like they have now for drop shottin my bad. I guess the rods and that were as good back then as now.

Also I did say the method wasn't usefull back then. It has just improved over the years.

The method is even more refined for Lake Erie Perch as it is basically the same thing.....But bass are EASY to catch compared to perch.

I don't use swivels and I don't suffer from any of the line twist issues people mention.My main drop shot rod is a Gloomis GL2 spinning rod with a stradic and 20 pound braided line, no floro. Improvec cinch knot line fed top of the hook down tied, with a 1-2 foot tag end, fed back through the eye of the hook.

Super sensitive, great for walleye, bass, perch, crappie etc... for ice fishing it also works well. when dead sticked with a tail hooked minnow.

I tend not to be so snooty though. I call it sinker and a hook instead of drop shoting. This is alternative to the hook and sinker method.

I like spining rod setup over a baitcasting setup as I just like the feel or a spinning rod better when the tip is held close to the water. With the reel on the bottom of the rod versus on top it just feel better imo.

Plus if you are using some really light weights and lures its easy to cast without any fuss. I find baitcasters are good when cating constantly. with a drop shot I'll cast and let it sit for a long time in one spot or slightly dragging. Fewer casts means spinning gear in my world....

Edited by jedimaster

I guess the rods and that were as good back then as now.

Actually, no they weren't as good back then, infact I learned to fish in the 50's with a square shafted steel rod that was heavy and had the same action as a tree stump.

And we only had very basic baitcast reels cause spinning reels weren't around yet and the line we used could have doubled to tie up battleships.

Biggest change though is we only fished with ONE rod, and we fished for ALL species with it and did VERY well with those old dinosaurs.

Fishing has almost gotten too technical these days where guys need a different rod for every technique.

Fishing is still enjoyable...but it's different now. :Gonefishing:

I like using small octopus hooks and use a palomar knot with the tag end back through the eye to keep it level. I use a variety of sinkers, but I just double overhand knot them to get out of snags easy. If I'm in current I'll use a good quality barrel swivel and have no issues with line twist, even in heavy current. Unlike some others here, I actually like a 6'6" medium rod, but thats my most comfortable set up so I'm not saying a longer lighter duty rod isn't better.

The same set up also works well for shore casting for walleye/bass/pike, and makes it really easy to present your bait at the exact depth you want to present it.

I'd also tell you to check the baits you wanna use before hitting the water, to determine the best action of the bait and how it's hooked effects that action. Some baits I nose hook and come out the center of the nose, other I got through the bait and out the top.

For line I use 10lb PP sometimes tied direct, sometime with a fluoro leader. Other times I'm using 8lb mono. But I prefer the sensitivity of PP.

Actually, no they weren't as good back then, infact I learned to fish in the 50's with a square shafted steel rod that was heavy and had the same action as a tree stump.

And we only had very basic baitcast reels cause spinning reels weren't around yet and the line we used could have doubled to tie up battleships.

Biggest change though is we only fished with ONE rod, and we fished for ALL species with it and did VERY well with those old dinosaurs.

Fishing has almost gotten too technical these days where guys need a different rod for every technique.

Fishing is still enjoyable...but it's different now. Gonefishing.gif

Amen to that Lew.

When my grandfather passed, and Dad inherited his fishing equipment, i was shocked to see how little he had! 2-3 rods., a few old mitchels.And he fished anything with fins LOL !!! He did have boxes full of lures though.

The swivels and hooks with swivels aren't needed. Ur gonna get some line twist no matter what, its more noticeable with flouro then braid.

I use a 6'10 medium xtra fast rod spinning reel, spooled with straight 8lb flouro. Trokar dropshot hooks, tied with a palomar knot, and a dropshot weight at the bottom.

Any plastic bait will work. Match the bait to the species ur targetting and the forage in the area. X zone slammers are my go to and win me lots of tourneys, jackall crosstail shads and powerteam lures hammershad.