Fish jumping in the early morning

Skipper D

When i headed across the bay out to the lake this morning shortly after five , there were fish jumping on top the water every where . First off i'am unable to tell you what kind they were as i don't know all the differant fish species and their habbits yet , but i ure would like to know which kind they were and if i should have stoped to fish them had i known . I figured since they were on the top i would need a top water bait to catch them and thats some thing i have none in my tackle box . Can some one enlighten me a little here , and thanks in advance

How deep was the water? With the hatch,it could of been minnows,smelts and even herring. If they are large fish,they could be carp like mentioned.. I have seen it many times in the early morning when boating out of the bay.

BTW You werent out there looking for the back ground in my vids were ya? :sarcasm::tease:

Edited by Misfish

Most likely carp rolling on the surface......they do that just about every morning....if it's calm you notice it.

BB The bay here is deep. Once you get out past Minets point,your in 90-100+ fow all the way out. The shoreline has at best 50-80 feet is 10-30 fow,the drops fast. I have a spot that I have seen them jump and splash around in 30 or so fow. Nothing deeper then that. My moneys on the herring,if it,s out in the deeper waters.

Probably minnows or shiners eating the bugs on the surface of the water. dunno.gif So did ya catch anything?

They were to big to be bait , did i catch any fish today//// released arouund fifty , brought homw seventeen keepers .

If they are real big, could be carp spawning in the shallows, time is right, they jump frequently during this ritual. Seen a few post with huge mayfly hatches coming off, maybe something is after them.

I beleive there is no carp in Lake Simcoe ...................

How deep was the water? With the hatch,it could of been minnows,smelts and even herring. If they are large fish,they could be carp like mentioned.. I have seen it many times in the early morning when boating out of the bay.

BTW You werent out there looking for the back ground in my vids were ya? :sarcasm::tease:

Then you've seen it too , you know how deep the middle of the bay is then , what you see is only the backs of the fish so its hard to tell . I could'nt understand why the other boats that went out ahead of me this morning did'nt seem to notice , i actuly stoped andd tryed fishing them but i knew i'd get nothing cause of not haveing any top water baits with me .

Then you've seen it too , you know how deep the middle of the bay is then , what you see is only the backs of the fish so its hard to tell . I could'nt understand why the other boats that went out ahead of me this morning did'nt seem to notice , i actuly stoped andd tryed fishing them but i knew i'd get nothing cause of not haveing any top water baits with me .

Like said,herring Ron. When I use to launch out from the ninth,I seen it alot.Differrent size/classes. It is pretty cool to see.

Like said,herring Ron. When I use to launch out from the ninth,I seen it alot.Differrent size/classes. It is pretty cool to see.

I agree its probaly Herring , carp rise their backs up out of the water , thease seem to roll just below the surface exposing very little of them selfs . I'll say i have my answer and thank every one for helping .