Shopping for new outboard...

well...

i think my motor is toast...or at least toast enough to stop putting money into it...

so

what make has the lead nowadays...i know this is gunna be a mixed bag of answers and please dont get into debates or brand wars... just wanna know what you guys might know about features and performance...

im thinking about upping to a 50hp tiller...from my current 40hp... for the days with 3 big guys in the boat(mercman and mercmans brother...lol) and loads of gear and lunches...etc...

my main form of fishing is trolling... so a motor that idles low and smooth is key...

im leaning towards Yamaha but locally a Mercury is easiest...there is a dealer 5 minutes away on the states side...

no matter what im gunna buy in the states... prices are a few thousand dollars lower then in Ontario...

one question i have... the capacity plate states that a 45 is the max hp... is it illegal to go over this? or is that a recomendation from the manufacturer? im sure the boat can handle a 60hp motor no problem... and a 50hp would be perfect...

anyways... lets hear it everyone...

thanks in advance...

mike

X2 for Yamaha , not only reliable but the best tiller handle with RPM control.

As for boat HP capacity rating, it's only a manf recommendation in Canada.

Do not go over the rating if you plan on fishing USA side, it is enforced on that side and you could be pulled off the water .

Another thing to consider is insurance, putting a bigger motor is not a good idea if there is ever an issue with a claim.

Yamaha has theire troll control system (ability to adjust idle speed for trolling) built right into the tiller handle as far as I know.

Merc you need to purchase one of their smart craft guages in order to get their troll control system operational. Idle speed is also controlled through the guage.

Cost will probably be close between the two with the added expense of the smart craft guage. The smart craft guage gives you tons of info though that you won't get with the stock Yammie guage.

I'm repowering my boat as soon as some other loans are paid off and will be going with new Mercs. ;)

the yamaha has the 4 cyl with the pro-control tiller handle pretty much the sweetest tiller in the biz, smooth lots of torque sips fuel.

the merc if i remember correctly is a $800 to get the nice tiller handle, besides the merc is made in china the yammy is made in japan

the yamaha has the 4 cyl with the pro-control tiller handle pretty much the sweetest tiller in the biz, smooth lots of torque sips fuel.

the merc if i remember correctly is a $800 to get the nice tiller handle, besides the merc is made in china the yammy is made in japan

The shift lever is really nice on the Yammie too!!!

Merc outboards from 30 to 60hp are manufactored in China under strict supervision by Brunswick engineers, and to Mercury specs.

Besides, Japan is still radioactive.w00t.gif

A full rebuild on your engine will be less then new.And you are basically getting a new engine.

im just concerned about a money pit situation...

so far im out 800 in parts and repairs in 6 months... the next fix the mechanic is looking at is another 500...and hes not 100% sure that it will be ready after that... i paid 3000 for the motor...

so in the end im close to the costs of a new motor...

im just worried im gunna spend 1000-2000 to fix this 12 year old motor... and have no garauntee/warranty and get screwed again in a year or 2 with another problem...

but if i knew that 1000 or 1500 and shed be like new again thats not bad... but im spending hundreds for "possible" fixes

Get a second opinion on it Mike.Your mech may not be as good as he says or you think.dunno.gif

Get a second opinion on it Mike.Your mech may not be as good as he says or you think.dunno.gif

everything hes done or said makes sense... hes not spinning his wheels cause he doesnt know his stuff... as soon as he described some of what he found i figured head gasket before he even said that... but it wasnt... now hes thinking something warped from ice cause i ran it in the winter months... so he wants to tear apart the power head to try and find out whats warped and fix it...