Shopping for new outboard...

I just mentioning that brand as my Johnson is 27 years young and still going VERY strong......how whatever you decide it works out the best for you.......

my dad/brothers ranger has a johnson 115 tiller and that thing is amazing...crazy quiet and trolls really slow for a motor that size...

Mine is far from quiet compared to today's outboards.....but strong as a mule......and trolls right down to 1.5 mph....

I am really surprised that your having that much trouble with that Honda....it's really not that old in my eyes.

Again, good luck........

Bob

I stopped in at my local Merc dealer today cheking on price dirrerences between a 90 and 115 four stroke.

Pricing is way high here but it gives me an idea of the cost differential. I am looking to purchase in Alberta and have it shipped North. I will still save enough that the kicker and controls will be free compared to cost if I bought locally. :glare:

Cost here for a 90 Merc is $11,250 and the 115 is $13,400!!!!

That's a lot of cake for a mid sized motor. If I buy in the South $14K gets me new controls, smartcraft guages, 115 4 stroke and a 9.9 4 stroke and shipping to Yellowknife. :D

Don't buy, LEASE IT.

When you lease you can amortize it quicker and all the interest is a business expense. If you buy you only get a small % of depreciation.

When I need major equipment for the shop I use an independent co to finance everything form a new air compressor to air make up units. In the end it costs a few % but having the cash in your pocket keep the business running smooth.

aside....

how can they charge 12k for 375lbs of material ~32/lb

a 150hp huynday accent sells for 12k @ 2400lbs it works out to ~5/lb

marine prices are fishy ...

Don't buy, LEASE IT.

When you lease you can amortize it quicker and all the interest is a business expense. If you buy you only get a small % of depreciation.

When I need major equipment for the shop I use an independent co to finance everything form a new air compressor to air make up units. In the end it costs a few % but having the cash in your pocket keep the business running smooth.

aside....

how can they charge 12k for 375lbs of material ~32/lb

a 150hp huynday accent sells for 12k @ 2400lbs it works out to ~5/lb

marine prices are fishy ...

Never heard of anyone leasing a outboard......WHO leases boating equipment.... :dunno:

Never heard of anyone leasing a outboard......WHO leases boating equipment.... :dunno:

i was actually looking into it....

theres quite a list of people who can lease including "fisherpersons"

i think some lodges might do it...

but then ill forever be making payments....

im going to inquire about a rebuild with my mechanic... and if it makes any sense financially im gunna go that way for now... and then a new motor is gunna be in the near future... hopefully for next season...and then i should be able to get the rebuild cost back by selling my rebuilt honda...

Don't buy, LEASE IT.

Interest is a business expense regardless of whether you lease or buy.

Depending on which class the asset falls into you may actually get a better deduction if you purchase because the deduction is front end loaded... especially if purchase at the end of the year because you 50% of your depreciation in the year regardless of the exact date the you buy.

Not anyone, just a business.

If you need new equipment and your books are reasonable you can lease anything.

The way it works in my situation: I make the deal with whoever I want, send it the paperwork. They buy the equipment and I lease it back from them.

I can only guess but I don't see any differance between my air compressor and a motor; without them we would be out of business.

_i just spilled a full cup of coffee all over my desk writing this.grrrr_

Mike buy a Yamaha you will be so happy you did.

I had 50 Honda which was very reliable.Swapped it for my 60hp Yamaha and now I would only buy a Yamaha.

Lots of torque starts faster than my cars.Really Mike do yourself a favor buy a Yammy.

Also have the rpm control button can get it under 2 mph.

Reliable and much more quieter than my friends 60hp Mercury.

Yamaha sells the most outboards world wide must be a good reason for that.

MTP

Mike buy a Yamaha you will be so happy you did.

I had 50 Honda which was very reliable.Swapped it for my 60hp Yamaha and now I would only buy a Yamaha.

Lots of torque starts faster than my cars.Really Mike do yourself a favor buy a Yammy.

Also have the rpm control button can get it under 2 mph.

Reliable and much more quieter than my friends 60hp Mercury.

Yamaha sells the most outboards world wide must be a good reason for that.

MTP

FYI....Honda sells the most kinds of engines throughout the world....not saying the Yammy isn't the best or is the best......but Honda makes engines for lawn mowers all the way to locomotives....

My next outboard would "probably be either a Yammy or a E-Tech....

Interest is a business expense regardless of whether you lease or buy.

Depending on which class the asset falls into you may actually get a better deduction if you purchase because the deduction is front end loaded... especially if purchase at the end of the year because you 50% of your depreciation in the year regardless of the exact date the you buy.

You could make an argument that replacing the motor is a maintenance expense, therefore 100% tax deductible against 2012 income. The "asset" is the boat. I would suspect an engine replacement in my truck would not be a depreciating asset.

Also keep in mind, if you purchase in NY you will be paying state tax + HST and duty landing in Canada. Don't forget to claim that.