live mice ok for bait?

Put me on the Sutton River, or any others Hudson Bay trib that holds trophy Brookies, with a bucket of live mice and I'll put a fresh one on every cast. Put me in a similar situation with live frogs (and fish that consider frogs a delicacy), and every frog will live to see another day. I don't know why that is, but I could never impale a frog with a hook.

Take this guy for example. He was about 1 3/4" nose to butt. I'd slam the brakes on my truck in the middle of a freeway if I saw this guy hopping across. A mouse, I'd swerve to hit it.

frog.jpg

Dan, I'm going to test out that mouse theory in about 2 months :)

I kinda figured that out Bill. I'll be fishing an hour and a half from home at that time. Good luck Bud. Let's compare notes when we're done.

Slightly older thread I know, but I had a thought, has anyone tried using stuffed animals as lures? you know like cat toy mice strapped to a #1 hook?

Water proofing and wind resistance might be a challenge but give it a shot and let us know.

I don't belong to PITA and never will, but I could never use live frogs or mice as bait. For people who mention mice traps and how that's any different, people set mouse traps where they live because they don't want them in their kitchens/homes etc. Just like self defense is Ok, but murder is not, a bit extreme I know but in a way it's not that different.

Edited by Gray_Wolf

The fish don't recognize it as a mouse. I'd bet that 99.999999% of the fish that encounter your mouse lure (or live mouse) would have never encountered a mouse in their lives.

Leave the little mice alone and use something else that mimics a vulnerable creature stuck on the surface and you'll do just fine.

A live mouse would undoubtedly catch fish. So would a bird. Anything floundering around in the water and on top of weeds is an easy meal, and I really don't think any fish is going to analyze what it is. They see an opportunity and they sieze it. Ultimately, is a live mouse that practical to fish with? Not really.....with so many great artificial options on the market, why bother?

The fish don't recognize it as a mouse. I'd bet that 99.999999% of the fish that encounter your mouse lure (or live mouse) would have never encountered a mouse in their lives.

Leave the little mice alone and use something else that mimics a vulnerable creature stuck on the surface and you'll do just fine.

Mice actually are on many fishes plate of offerings. They live in the tall grasses around ponds and streams and jump into the water to get from one place to another. I found the movement of the walk the dog style with pauses to be deadly instead of the jerk stop jerk of a frog lure. I have one mouse lure I call frankinmouse it has been sewn with powerpro and glued back together with arrow fletching glue twice so far from the punishment of bass and a few snakeheads down here.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/6YJpCq7CT-o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I think Etackle.ca carries them so you don't have to pay the UPS gouge factor.

Art

Some of you guys are a little tilted. A mouse on a hook that'll probably survive one cast and if he survives, will last 30 seconds being retrieved?? With all the baits we have available to us that is just sick.

I suspect that this thread was put up to stir the soup...and for that, let's just shut it down and re-think this.