Boiled or raw eggs???

mirogak

Don't buy them from the store, then get directly from the farm.. If you can, tell the farmer beforehand to not put them in the fridge. If he doesn't, they'll keep for weeks at room temp.. Once they are put in the fridge, they have to stay cold or they'll go bad... I've got a local chicken farmer near my parents place that does this for me.. Biggest and best tasting eggs you've ever eaten.. I've eaten them weeks after he's given them to me, never an issue. Perfect eggs for those backwoods trips where you've got no power/no cooling capacity.

Edited by BillM

My dad is in AP right now and he told me a couple days ago that he was going to pre-cook fried eggs. Ugh, I told him that was horrible idea ... I can't image they would taste good after three days bouncing around in a pack sack.

I would just bring one of those egg carriers and wrap the eggs in paper towel to protect them.

My dad has many more crazy ideas... He sure knows how to pack light though!!

POWDERED perfect for a zombie apocalypse!!!! ZombieA_.gifZ2.gifGZOM.gifZ4.gif

My Dad was in the Navy for 5 years during the war and when they were at sea powdered eggs were all they had. He said they were the most foul (fowl) tasting thing he ever ate and still talked about them decades later :lol:

I'm sure the technology is somewhat better today.

My Dad was in the Navy for 5 years during the war and when they were at sea powdered eggs were all they had. He said they were the most foul (fowl) tasting thing he ever ate and still talked about them decades later :lol:

Mine as well and the same complaint! Anyone tried out the liquid eggs in a 'cardboard milk' like container in the dairy section? Might have to be kept refridgerated I guess.

Hard boiled eggs are convienient. When we used to camp my wife would boil up a dozen for the trip. Pretty handy to have and why not?

Pick up a package of that precooked bacon (never tried it) and instant breakfast allowing you more time on the water. :Gonefishing:

In a word...no. Still nasty for anything other than mixing into breads/cakes/etc (and even then, not good).

Bryan

Offshore sailers keep eggs for more than a month. Must start uncooked.

Here's how.

I've used a similar process, but without the nastyness of having to shellac/oil the egg shell. Clean egg with a sanitising agent, dry, and seal using a vacuum sealer (like that used for meat), making sure that each egg is in its own "compartment" (otherwise, once opened, you must use all the eggs in the bag). I've not tried it for longer than a week, but even in hot temps it seems to work. I like the idea of cracking each egg into a cup beforehand, in case one has gone off. I've never had that problem, but it seems worth it, considering near-zero effort could literally save the bacon...

Bryan

Don't buy them from the store, then get directly from the farm.. If you can, tell the farmer beforehand to not put them in the fridge. If he doesn't, they'll keep for weeks at room temp..

Second to farm fresh. There's a farm we used to go to in the spring near St. Mary's where my father-in-law stored his RV in the winter. He used to get about a dozen flats of double-yolkers when he'd pick up the camper, and he kept them in the basement for weeks without any problems.

We pre-mix scrambled eggs into a 750ml bottle (empty water bottle). Use as needed. Throw bottle out when done.

I've only needed them to last a few days on my short little trips. And they always do.

Just make sure you shake them bottle up good before cooking.

You can also throw some pepers, and onions, stuff like that, then you've got pre-mixed omets.

You can buy the premixed, pre-bottled cartons of eggs, but people tell me their not to healthy.