High Definition TV

Beans

X2 I went OTA a year or so ago and will not be going back to paying now if i can only get the dogs to run a bit faster on the treadmill another issue will be solved

Just my 2

If I didn't have a wife that needs to watch toddlers & tiaras, I'd have kissed cable/satellite goodbye and gone OTA a long time ago. As it is though, there'd be a bounty placed on my head / WWIII would erupt. The specialty channels are no big deal to me -- couldn't care less about swamp people or recving hockey feeds from across the country..

In Markham I am getting around 15 channels on OTA, around six/seven of them are HD. Total set-up cost me less then $70 as I did it myself and now no monthly bill. I second the suggestion to add OTA with your existing service.

Bought the HD receiver for Expess-Vue at Futureshop with no contract a few years ago, it was just a receiver but you could add an external Hard Drive to it and make it a PVR. Pretty sure it was just 10 dollars a month to add the HD channels to my existing package. Had an old 200 gig external kicking around , works good. Must be some hd receivers/cable boxes on Kijiji/ebay.

Edited by dave524

......and then we hose you sarcasm.gifsarcasm.gif

Sorry FT, couldn't resist.

Haha no worries I don't make the rules. I figured take the year free box rental then make decision from there. I get a bill too ya know. ( although it's 50% off :) ). OP. if you have any questions you can send me an email at [email protected] with your needs and I will see if we have a solution for you. (hope this is allowed)

HD for sure.

Powering a TV like that with basic cable is like runing a 9.9 on a 20ft lund.

But I do that all the time Phil !!! :D

As for HD.. I have an HD1080 Panasonic Tau 40" flat tube TV. Personally I see no difference between the Xpressview HD channels and watching the same thing on the normal 200 series channel.

Time to ditch the tube, or up your prescription, or both Wayne!

Ditto, 62 year old eyes and bifocals for the last 12, difference is like nite and day especially any text on the screen. Somethings up with your TV or setup/installation or maybe you need to go through the menues on your TV or receiver again. Got ExpressVue too and a mid quality LG TV.

Time to ditch the tube, or up your prescription, or both Wayne!

I'll take the $3000 tube over the cheap stuff anyday...nothing wrong with my eyes.. and people wonder why they're broke!!

or $564/yr to watch tv with a sharper image
Edited by irishfield

There's that too Roy! I'd say I average about 10 minutes a day,, tops. When I get to the lake with one good channel being 66 CBC and maybe 5 MCTV (but only if the wind and moon aligns correctly) I'll be happy with a show or two a night.

Norm... there's an HD show every night on the deck!

I all honesty I did NOT read every post........but I do a "little" about HDTV......make sure you get at LEAST a 120hz refresher rate if you into sports........the cheaper TV's are at 60hz or whatever they are called......that makes the picture FUZZY when watching fast action....like football and hockey.

I all honesty I did NOT read every post........but I do a "little" about HDTV......make sure you get at LEAST a 120hz refresher rate if you into sports........the cheaper TV's are at 60hz or whatever they are called......that makes the picture FUZZY when watching fast action....like football and hockey.

Or if you're really into sports ignore the LCD/LED TV's and get Plasma!!!!! :tease: :tease: :tease:

Go digital at least as mentioned...

If you want to go with an HD receiver there are deals from EVERY provider who will let you have the receiver rental free for six months to a year available most of the time so pick when you sign up. After the trial period it is very easy to continue to get similar savings from whoever your provider is. I have personally had no problem getting bills reduced from 200.00 for top tv/phone/internet packages per month to 130.00 taxes included just by calling and asking what specials are offered to keep me as a customer? It is such a scam that you have to ask, suggest you will move to another provider if nothing cheaper is available but 70 bucks a month savings for a 15 minute phone call once a year is time well spent to me.

The www.redflagdeals.com forums ongoingdeals section will have all the info on all the providers and what they are offering currently. Some of these deals are even "secret" from contract sellers who can give a better price for new customers than you can get from calling directly (especially true for Shaw direct!!!)

Edited by Canuck2fan

you're looking at a minimum increase of $47 per month or $564/yr to watch tv with a sharper image. i dunno about you, but i can find quite a few thing's to spend my money on instead of hd programming that IMO makes very little difference unless you sit close to your tv. basically, the only way for you to decide if it's worth it for you is to view the same tv's side by side with one having HD and the other standard.

people complain about not having money and being in debt, yet many of those same people have zero problems handing over any extra money on stuff like this. i'll never understand the way some people operate...

Minimum increase with Rogers is 12.95+tax for hd content. If you chose to add hd specialty pack that's another 11. Not shure where 47 came from please explain. Not trying to stir the pot here but I'm just curious where you got your figures....maby a 47 dollar increase over 0 dollars on an a hd antenna

As stated in an earlier post if ANYONE even existing customers has questions regarding their current Rogers services or new ones contact me and I will speak verry candidly about what your options are. (mods if this is out of line please remove, I'm honestly just trying to help)

Edited by Freshtrax

maby a 47 dollar increase over 0 dollars on an a hd antenna

There is really no such thing as a HD antenna.....HD is just simply UHF frequency.....any antenna works fine....just don't use a UHF-VHF combinder....instead use a splitter if you want more then one antenna hooked up and pointing in different directions.....I have one UHF and one VHF antenna hooked together by a splitter with each antenna pointing in almost completely different directions.....this way I get all my HD channels FREE.

FYI if you not a heavy duty TV watcher ask Shaw or that other company who shall remain nameless,for one of the packages that they don`t actively promote because they are a good deal for the consumer and not so good for the company,well probably as good a deal as your gunna get,

Shaw= digital indulgence & digital indulgence lite!!!

You're kidding right???

Nope...not kidding Mike...

When you are retired and on a limited pension budget you have to be able to justify spending $250 extra...

Sorry to have to say this but them's the facts...Haven't spent that much for fishing tackle in the past ten years...sad.gif

When you are retired and on a limited pension budget you have to be able to justify spending $250 extra...

I have a hard time justifying the extra channels and I'm working with a decent income. Wife just calls me cheap. :D

I'd have a talk with someone in Bobcaygeon and see just how many OTA channels you'd be able to pickup. You'd get peterboro easily but I am not sure if you'd get the feeds from the CN Tower reliably or Ottawa if you pointed in that direction.

I have a hard time justifying the extra channels and I'm working with a decent income. Wife just calls me cheap. :D

I'd have a talk with someone in Bobcaygeon and see just how many OTA channels you'd be able to pickup. You'd get peterboro easily but I am not sure if you'd get the feeds from the CN Tower reliably or Ottawa if you pointed in that direction.

SIR: you are NOT cheap.....frugal is the word I use.... :)